Gibson Brands Forums

Updated: Les Paul Classic

Alouf

Hey guys,

I located what I think is a LP Classic (modeled after 1960?) with pickps 496R and 500T for the bridge.

The asking price is 1300$ USD.

My question to the connoisseurs is:

-Does this seem to be a real LP Classic?

-Is the price good?

-Will it sound much different than my Robot Guitar with the 490R and the 498T?

Thanks!

lespaul1.jpg

lespaul2.jpg

Greenish inlays, uncovered pickups, "Classic" on the trussrod cover, plaintop - yes the features all match the Classic specs. If you have the serial number and closeups of the back of the headstock you could send them to Gibson customer service and they'll confirm if the serial no. is legit. Your suspicion about fakes should go according to whether its a private sale or a legit dealer. It should have a slim-taper neck and they came with a pickguard that says "1960"

As for the pickups, the Classics have higher output ceramic-magnet pickups. They'll sound different not just because they're uncovered, they're altogether hotter.

Don't worry so much about the pickups. Sure, ceramics are hot, but they can be swapped out for anything you like. The guitar is still very much a Les Paul.

I bought a 1997 Classic Plus two years ago for around $1300 USD. The original owner put Fralin 8k/9k pickups in it, and it sounds great. I compared it to a VOS 1960 model yesterday, and they are equally as good.

Looks real. The price depends on where you live. In the US' date=' I'd say that's about right.

Up here in Canada I've seen them for $1,500 - $1,900.[/quote']

hey Are Nine, I am in Canada as well. The price is 1,500$ CDN

Thanks for the reply guys. The guitar is real as confirmed by Gibson.

Now the question remains, is it worth the investment. I am looking for a different tonal pallet than my Robot guitar.

Thanks.

Well, it'll definitely sound different than your robot. Play it before you make any decisions.

Btw' date=' what is the difference between the 1960 classic and the non 1960 classic?

I seen both variations today at the store.[/quote']

Not sure what you mean, exactly. Did the non-1960 look like my R9? If so, it's a Custom Shop historic reissue.

http://s249.photobucket.com/albums/gg225/Gibson_Tim/?action=view&current=Picture976.jpg

Yep, it comes with the original case.

You guys are not making my decisions easy, lol.

Not sure if this changed over the years, but the original Classics had the vintage ABR-1 style bridge.

Well, the neck has a 496R and the bridge has a 500T

Btw' date=' what is the difference between the 1960 classic and the non 1960 classic?.[/quote']

By non 1960 classic did you mean 1960 Re-issue? If so then they differ in a number of ways. Could you clarify the matter, please, so we can give you the answer?

Not sure if this changed over the years' date=' but the original Classics had the vintage ABR-1 style bridge./quote']

As far as I know the later 1960 Classics had the Nashville bridge.

Archived