Gibson Brands Forums

NGD-2014 Custom Shop J180 Everly

Jinder

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks all! I’m SUPER pleased with the 180, I just played my first gig with it for Record Store Day and it’s just fantastic to sing with, really clean but warm, loud but not too loud-just balanced and even all day long.

It feels great too-The setup is absolutely immaculate, low action but no buzzes whatsoever. It got a lot of compliments and questions about what it was, too.

The funniest one was a guy who spied my lengthy locks and asked me if the pickguards on the guitar were “a painting of” my hair 😂😂...so I can tell people from now on that my hair has its own Gibson signature model!!

Try to keep some frets in this one.

Nice score. What did you do sell the Dove in one day.

I traded the Dove for the 180 with a dealer friend of mine. Thursday was my 37th birthday, so I thought I’d treat myself to a change and draw a line under the Dove stuff. The Dove had been on his radar for a while as I was considering trading it before all the fret shenanigans, and he was aware of the fret repairs but still cut me a spectacularly generous deal on the Dove as a trade. I think from his point of view the Dove is a little less niche than the 180 and is more likely to have a mainstream appeal, but I adore the quirkiness of the 180, it’s absolutely my cup of tea so to speak.

Followed the saga with great interest.

Love this final result.What a perfect stage guitar for a most worthy feller!I've never seen one of these in the flesh / wood.If you ever tour Oz.I'll be there.

Thanks FB! I really appreciate the kind words. I’m very happy with the end result too, kinda makes the slog of getting the Dove sorted worth it!

There was one of these, same colour too, for sale in Great Yarmouth a couple of years ago. He wanted £1200 for it. Could this be yours?

The Dove is gone...replaced with this! Plays like butter all over the neck and sounds even better than it looks! Wonderful guitar to sing with, it has a perfect sonic pocket that a male vocal sits in like a dream. So looking forward to exploring it!

He probably went to Glenn's to trade it in, is my guess.

I did! Glenn is the only person I buy/sell/trade with in the UK, the best dealer out there for high end guitars, no better guitar buying experience!

There was one of these, same colour too, for sale in Great Yarmouth a couple of years ago. He wanted £1200 for it. Could this be yours?

That’s insanely cheap for one of these-not the one I bought but someone had a great deal on that!

According to glenns site there’s nothing wrong with the dove jinder 😃

Graham Parker takes care of his stock for him, so I’m sure it’s been looked over and set up since I handed it over, or is due to be... I shimmed the saddle which took care of the buzzing on the top E above the 12th but I’d imagine GP has/will dress the top fret or remake the saddle. I’ve been massively impressed by Graham’s setup work and especially his refinishes of ailing older instruments, the guy is a real craftsman!

Graham Parker takes care of his stock for him, so I’m sure it’s been looked over and set up since I handed it over, or is due to be... I shimmed the saddle which took care of the buzzing on the top E above the 12th but I’d imagine GP has/will dress the top fret or remake the saddle. I’ve been massively impressed by Graham’s setup work and especially his refinishes of ailing older instruments, the guy is a real craftsman!

It would be hard to resist that ‘53 j45 he has there.

Very cool looking guitar. Have you had a run on it ?

The pickguards are very thin and don't seem to affect the tone negatively at all-they were a selling point for me, I love the look and the practical aspect of keeping the top protected.

"Thin pick guards keep top protected". Protected? But you realise you'll never see the vast amount of top that's being protected! Hysterical!! Reminds me of my mother in law who used to put a long clear plastic runner over the hall carpet and a friend in the 60s who kept the plastic on the seats of his new car for 5 years or more, to protect them. OK, it might just be me! msp_confused.gif

"Thin pick guards keep top protected". Protected? But you realise you'll never see the vast amount of top that's being protected! Hysterical!! Reminds me of my mother in law who used to put a long clear plastic runner over the hall carpet and a friend in the 60s who kept the plastic on the seats of his new car for 5 years or more, to protect them. OK, it might just be me! msp_confused.gif

I see your point, but my playing covers anything from dainty fingerstyle to flailing rhythm stuff, and I play 200+ gigs a year, so my workhorse guitars take a beating. I wore through the top above the soundhole on my Takamine Jumbo many years ago, and nearly went through the top of my old SJ200 too. The appeal of the twin guards for me is that I can play freely and let rip however I wish without worrying about damaging the guitar.

I think it’s entirely subjective and down to the individual taste and technique of the player, but dual guards worked just fine for Richie Havens, Ronnie Wood, Dylan, Cat, Phil, Don and Ike, and they’re a quirky and individual thing that instantly identifies the J180 as what it is, so I’m happy.

It would be hard to resist that ‘53 j45 he has there.

Very cool looking guitar. Have you had a run on it ?

It looks beautiful doesn’t it? I didn’t try it out as I tend to give Glenn my budget and let him pick out a selection of guitars that he thinks would suit-he knows my tastes and style very well so almost always gets right into the ballpark with the first guitar he hands me on any visit.

One outstanding guitar I did try was the ‘73 D35 he has in. That thing could call down the stars, absolutely wonderful instrument. I couldn’t get on with the neck profile but for a Martin player it would be absolute hog heaven.

The Robert Johnson he has in is exquisite too, I loved that and was sorely tempted by it. Unfortunately, 6’7” and 19st me looked like a bear wrestling with a twiglet when playing it, so it didn’t get picked. I’ll own one one day though, it would fill the parlour shaped hole in my lineup (Epi EL-00 excepted) perfectly.

Cool collection alright

A week in his place would be some criac

What’s the deal with the Martin neck profile ??

I tend to find the shoulders of the neck down at the first position up to the 5th fret shelve away a little steeply for my left hand-it feels quite a “shallow” neck. I have a touch of carpal tunnel and as much as I loved the D35 I found that my left hand went numb in the usual thumb and three fingers that CTS affects after five mins or so. I’ve had this with most Martins I’ve owned or played, apart from my OM18V which had a neck like an ocean liner!

• 3 weeks later...

I'm trying my luck at acquiring a lefty J-180 through Gibson's Made-2-Measure program now. I've found a retailer who's of the opinion custom ordering that way should be no problem (even though I've had several others who denied it — but then perhaps they weren't part of the program). Anyways, that's the shot I'm taking, wish me luck. Otherwise, I'm getting a 2018 Southern Jumbo short term until a J-180 turns up a few years from now.

It looks beautiful doesn’t it? I didn’t try it out as I tend to give Glenn my budget and let him pick out a selection of guitars that he thinks would suit-he knows my tastes and style very well so almost always gets right into the ballpark with the first guitar he hands me on any visit.

One outstanding guitar I did try was the ‘73 D35 he has in. That thing could call down the stars, absolutely wonderful instrument. I couldn’t get on with the neck profile but for a Martin player it would be absolute hog heaven.

The Robert Johnson he has in is exquisite too, I loved that and was sorely tempted by it. Unfortunately, 6’7” and 19st me looked like a bear wrestling with a twiglet when playing it, so it didn’t get picked. I’ll own one one day though, it would fill the parlour shaped hole in my lineup (Epi EL-00 excepted) perfectly.

Haha! Finally someone taller than me! At just under 6’6”, and about 235, I make a super jumbo look like a concert sized guitar onstage! I’m really only comfortable with the biggest guitars! Luckily I LOVE the jumbo sound and playability! Even my dread is super jumbo sized (Guild G-41) at 17” lower bout and a 26.25” scale!

My electrics are bigger too, mostly Gretsch. Have owned strats and Teles and jazz and jags... I always get rid of them. Love the sound, just not the look or the feel for stage work.

Does your new “ redhead” have a pickup?

Haha! Finally someone taller than me! At just under 6’6”, and about 235, I make a super jumbo look like a concert sized guitar onstage! I’m really only comfortable with the biggest guitars! Luckily I LOVE the jumbo sound and playability! Even my dread is super jumbo sized (Guild G-41) at 17” lower bout and a 26.25” scale!

My electrics are bigger too, mostly Gretsch. Have owned strats and Teles and jazz and jags... I always get rid of them. Love the sound, just not the look or the feel for stage work.

Does your new “ redhead” have a pickup?

Haha.... too funny!

Maybe we should get Jinder to find himself a tiny little L-00 and post a video of him playing a rendition of 'Tip Toe through the Tulips'!!

Fred

Archived