Gibson Brands Forums

NGD-2014 Custom Shop J180 Everly

Jinder

Bottom line in my case, double pickguards look cool in my book...since I saw Bob Shane of the Kingston Trio have them on his guitar in the mid 60s. Jinder’s red Gibson with two pickguards brings that coolness factor up even more notches.

QM aka Jazzman Jeff

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm trying my luck at acquiring a lefty J-180 through Gibson's Made-2-Measure program now. I've found a retailer who's of the opinion custom ordering that way should be no problem (even though I've had several others who denied it — but then perhaps they weren't part of the program). Anyways, that's the shot I'm taking, wish me luck. Otherwise, I'm getting a 2018 Southern Jumbo short term until a J-180 turns up a few years from now.

L,

Let me know if you get approved ... Been thinking the same thing for a while !

JC

Thanks all! Still really enjoying the 180. I’ve tweaked the setup a bit to get it into the sweet spot that I like, and it’s really working well. Currently trying a set of brass pins in it at the moment but will probably go back to the factory set as the brass is a little bright.

The neck profile on it is just exquisite-I played a three hour gig with it last sunday with no fretting hand fatigue at all, really great stuff. It gets a lot of cooing and questions/compliments at gigs too!

I’m now intrigued by the idea of a Guild G-41 with its giant Dread body now Mr Majstyk mentioned it, not sure I could handle a 26.5” scale though!!

Haha.... too funny!

Maybe we should get Jinder to find himself a tiny little L-00 and post a video of him playing a rendition of 'Tip Toe through the Tulips'!!

Fred

I have my little EL-00 which would serve the purpose...I look like a bear playing a twig whenever I pick it up! Doesn’t stop me though 😂

Haha! Finally someone taller than me! At just under 6’6”, and about 235, I make a super jumbo look like a concert sized guitar onstage! I’m really only comfortable with the biggest guitars! Luckily I LOVE the jumbo sound and playability! Even my dread is super jumbo sized (Guild G-41) at 17” lower bout and a 26.25” scale!

My electrics are bigger too, mostly Gretsch. Have owned strats and Teles and jazz and jags... I always get rid of them. Love the sound, just not the look or the feel for stage work.

Does your new “ redhead” have a pickup?

It does! Currently an Baggs Element VTC, not 100% convinced it will stay in there but it’s pretty decent for the time being. All my other guitars have Matrix Infinity units in them which i run into my Aura 16, but I’m going to pick up the new Boss AD10 soon so will try the Baggs through that before I change it out. It does sound good, just a little thin at the top end, as opposed to the chunky bell-like treble of the Infinity.

The longer scale on the G-41 takes a second or two to get used to, but not a problem for those of us with bigger hands. The sound is a little different being spruce top on mahogany back and sides, but it’s so much fun to play! They only made them from 74 to 77, so they don’t pop up that often, although I think there’s one on Reverb right now. Kinda high-priced and not described well at all. It’ll be there for a long time! LOL.

I have 6 Guild jumbos... 5 with K&K Pure Mini... which go thru K&K Pure Preamp and then into my Fishman Aura Spectrum D.I....and then to Ch 1 of my Quilter MP200.

For my DTAR-equipped F50, as well as my J-200 with a Fishman Ellipse Aura, I go direct into the Aura Spectrum D.I.

No feedback probs and great full sound! And we get pretty loud at some venues!

Archived