Gibson Brands Forums

What the differences between the '58 abnd '59 Historics?

csbullock

csbullock, if you're looking at more recent R8s & R9s, that's it.

R8 - Plain top, thicker neck.

R9 - flame top, slightly thinner neck, should be made of lighter wood.

Everything else is the same, specification wise.

The neck thickness and weight are just general rules of thumb. You may come across an R8 that's lighter and has a thinner neck, it happens. You can also get a chambered R8 and that has a flame top. Those have a serial number than begins with CR.

If you're referring to the 58 VOS and 59 VOS' date=' about $3000. [/quote']

At dealer retail I don't this $3k is the reality of the spread between the two, from my experience. It's much closer to $2k at the dealer level. And your adding mostly for the maple selection for the most part. I don't really go for the bashing of the R9 if that is what the person wants. Just as an R8 is suitable for someone who feels that is better for them. There's room for both...

$$-wise, I've seen the difference less than $2000.... I was speaking in terms of construction though... Actually, I'm not a big fan of flamed maple (a little too ostentatious and busy for my taste) so, the '58 plain top is more to my liking... I had read somewhere that the '59 had larger frets, in addition to a slimmer neck.

I had read somewhere that the '59 had larger frets' date=' in addition to a slimmer neck.[/quote']

i think the original models (i.e. not the reissues but the actual production models in 1959) did tend to have larger frets. i am pretty sure this continued into the 1960 production year. i dont think this feature (along with certain others) has been accurately replicated in the various reissue years that have been put out...but i am no expert and am sure someone here will chime in.

Frets were always the same on every reissue even before 2003. Since 2003 frets have changed but they're still the same on every reissue. They should use small frets on R8 but they don't do that. I don't know why. I know small frets are not so good but when you built a reissue you should use the same frets or not ?...

• 2 years later...

The R9 did used to come with larger frets than R7s & 8S I remember reading it in the specs and I have done setups on 3 different R9s over the years for customers and the oldest one definitely had larger frets than the later two. Unfortunately can't remember the build years without rooting through my job record books but they were all 2000 on. Regards Simon

Archived