Gibson Brands Forums
Sign in to follow this  
newfiesig

Unrelenting Les Paul Static... Bad Wiring?

Shielding the covers and pick guard did not help me. It wasn’t until I shielded the cavities as well did the static problem go away. Now it is dead silent.

Hey All 

I believe I found the answer and a fix for the static problem on Gibson guitars it has nothing to do with the Finish on the Guitar or the pickups
the first thing is you have to do is shield the entire guitar control cavity, switch cavity, jack cavity the plastic on the jack             

the switch plate  the pickup cavity neck and Bridge I mean all of it also you then have to check continuity with a multi meter there are videos on you tube that show you how to shield your guitar

now once this is all done if you have Gibson original controls in your cavity there are wires that are on the  claw that 

have to be corrected the wires that are coming from the switch have to be redone, the thin Black wire has to be by itself

on the left prong if you have two wires connected to that prong meaning the black and a ground you must remove the bare wire

now once you remove the Bare wire you must connect it with the green wire that is on the right side of the prong with the black wire that is coming from the jack

the bare wire sometimes has a yellow shielding on it you must braid them together and connect to the prong on the right 

before you put back your cavity cover check all your connections to make sure no other wires came loose or disconnected 

the plug your Guitar and check to make sure its working properly meaning Volume and tone for both pickups if so then put your covers back on making

Sure the the screws tighten up and they are not stripped if so use a toothpick insert it in the screw hold and break it off as close as possible

the put the cover back and screw it down to make contact.  now with your meter check to see if all the screws are grounded if not make sure you overlapped your shielding

properly is so plug in your guitar and give a test run making it's all working the rub your hand all up and down the back of the neck and back of your guitar

you should be static free and the guitar should be quite when you let go of the strings

Good luck hope this works it did for me. it should look like this.

thank you Gibson.com: Les Paul Traditional 2015

9 hours ago, William Baerga said:

Hey All 

I believe I found the answer and a fix for the static problem on Gibson guitars it has nothing to do with the Finish on the Guitar or the pickups
the first thing is you have to do is shield the entire guitar control cavity, switch cavity, jack cavity the plastic on the jack             

the switch plate  the pickup cavity neck and Bridge I mean all of it also you then have to check continuity with a multi meter there are videos on you tube that show you how to shield your guitar

now once this is all done if you have Gibson original controls in your cavity there are wires that are on the  claw that 

have to be corrected the wires that are coming from the switch have to be redone, the thin Black wire has to be by itself

on the left prong if you have two wires connected to that prong meaning the black and a ground you must remove the bare wire

now once you remove the Bare wire you must connect it with the green wire that is on the right side of the prong with the black wire that is coming from the jack

the bare wire sometimes has a yellow shielding on it you must braid them together and connect to the prong on the right 

before you put back your cavity cover check all your connections to make sure no other wires came loose or disconnected 

the plug your Guitar and check to make sure its working properly meaning Volume and tone for both pickups if so then put your covers back on making

Sure the the screws tighten up and they are not stripped if so use a toothpick insert it in the screw hold and break it off as close as possible

the put the cover back and screw it down to make contact.  now with your meter check to see if all the screws are grounded if not make sure you overlapped your shielding

properly is so plug in your guitar and give a test run making it's all working the rub your hand all up and down the back of the neck and back of your guitar

you should be static free and the guitar should be quite when you let go of the strings

Good luck hope this works it did for me. it should look like this.

thank you Gibson.com: Les Paul Traditional 2015

Cant really see your pic, but what you did has nothing to do with the issue of static buildup on the finish.  What you're doing there is a solution to a completely different problem.  

• Like 1