Gibson Brands Forums

Pro advice needed

Zeppeholic

Hello

I have a ‘57 true Historic that I got for a decent price, I plan to use it as my main squeeze but the only problem I have with it, something I’ve heard and seen a lot of..

Sticky neck. It’s so bad I was thinking of returning it, but the sound, price and quality is too good to give back. So I’m reaching out to the community and pros to ask them their opinion, I would like to sand the finish down so there’s no more sticky neck. I’ve done it a Fender and the results were great it was exactly what I needed. I polish the neck on this Black Beauty after each time I play and I’m sill having issues. Since I’m keeping it, I was considering sanding it down myself or have a friend that can do it nicer than I.

Will this hurt the value of the guitar? (Even if I’m keeping it)

What is the best way to go about this?

I normally wouldn’t do this to a guitar, but I love this one and I would like to make it more playable.

Any tips, advice or general knowledge on this would help.

Thank you!

-Antonio

Hello..

Well id say any type of modification will effect the value if its not easily reversible...

Im not sure id take sand paper to it straight away.. Also make sure there is still some finish on the wood or it will probably warp as it takes in moisture... Doesn't have to be much but there should be some...

What I would try first is rubbing the neck with a course or medium polishing compound.. That will rough it up much more gently and should still leave enough finish should you want to polish it back up again.

Hello..

Well id say any type of modification will effect the value if its not easily reversible...

Im not sure id take sand paper to it straight away.. Also make sure there is still some finish on the wood or it will probably warp as it takes in moisture... Doesn't have to be much but there should be some...

What I would try first is rubbing the neck with a course or medium polishing compound.. That will rough it up much more gently and should still leave enough finish should you want to polish it back up again.

Yeah I wasn’t planing on totally sanding it down to bare wood, I should’ve mentioned that my bad. I was hoping to ware down the actual lacquer finish, “soak it in” so to speak. Is that only obtainable by age or is there a way to accelerate it?

Some of the aged Les Pauls I’ve played have the lacquer completely gone -sometimes to bare wood and sometimes just to the dye or finish and I’m leaning more towards the latter

Yeah I wasn’t planing on totally sanding it down to bare wood, I should’ve mentioned that my bad. I was hoping to ware down the actual lacquer finish, “soak it in” so to speak. Is that only obtainable by age or is there a way to accelerate it?

Some of the aged Les Pauls I’ve played have the lacquer completely gone -sometimes to bare wood and sometimes just to the dye or finish and I’m leaning more towards the latter

Well you could take it to the bare wood but id then stick a layer or two oil on it or something (like true oil or linseed oil) just to protect it.. Its just a good idea, bare wood can do odd things sometimes :)

There are ways to accelerate it as in aging techniques but its not simple.. Cant remember off hand, I will see if I can find something...

I haven't tried any of this so.. Its up to you how far you want to take it.. :)

This guy roughs it up with a brillo pad

This guy knows his stuff (4:15 in)

Hope that helps some [thumbup]

Could you just put a nice coat of carnauba automotive paste wax on it?

Rub it in really good, and let it dry to a nice haze, at least for a half hour.

Buff it off, making sure to capture all the dried wax, and not allow it to dust and leave small bits on the rest of the guitar.

That should, in theory, get rid of the stickiness.

[unsure]

Carnauba-wax.png

Archived