Gibson Brands Forums

Tom Petty's Hummingbird

J-200 Koa

That’s a Lawsuit era Bird, probably a Terada or similar from the FujiGen Gakki plant, mid-70s. The logo would have been added at some point after it was sold by an optimistic owner hoping to pass it off as the real deal.

I had a Terada Dove for a while, tune-o-matic and all. Pretty but not a great guitar.

The best lawsuit era guitar I’ve owned was a Kiso Suzuki Hummingbird, wonderful guitar built by a high end Japanese violin manufacturer, super light and resonant.

That's a Lawsuit era Bird, probably a Terada or similar from the FujiGen Gakki plant, mid-70s. The logo would have been added at some point after it was sold by an optimistic owner hoping to pass it off as the real deal.

I had a Terada Dove for a while, tune-o-matic and all. Pretty but not a great guitar.

The best lawsuit era guitar I've owned was a Kiso Suzuki Hummingbird, wonderful guitar built by a high end Japanese violin manufacturer, super light and resonant.

Good info. It could fool some people without that knowledge & especially being a genuinely older guitar.

Agree with most comments here.....

....but, do be careful about the 'baby and bathwater' effect when it comes to dismissing all Gibsons on the basis of the "three-screw trussrod cover".

Gibson actually did use that design in the Norlin era. For example, here's a 1973 J160E headstock sporting that very arrangement:

p3_upbz5rumf_so.jpg

So -- yes, generally -- the 3-screw TRC = "suspicious", but is not ALWAYS proof of a "fake".

Fred

Good point, Fred. Also, the logo did look like that for a time during the "dark" days for Gibson acoustics. Unlikely to see a knock-off from that era.

Here's the logo from the eBay listing BCMike was looking at (although judging by the view through the soundhole, I don't see where the seller got rare "Maple" from):

QhnhE1X.png?1

Here's a 1978 Hummingbird Label (it's write-up on https://guitarchimp.com/products/1978-gibson-hummingbird-custom-ebony-black):

JePSHvU.png?1

That’s good to know. I guess it’s like most rules, there are always exceptions

Yes, but with many of the imposters trying to look like a Gibson, in the ornamentation, and the label, they often go a bit far, adding things that aren't on the original. For example, the logo has some things in common, but the added "guarantee against . . . " some have it, some don't.

Possibly - my guess is maple with a coat of paint. And I've never seen an adj saddle from that era.

I believe it's plastic that's made to look like wood (like some AV furniture from that era i.e. Atari 2600). I have an early 70s Ventura V-6 D-18 clone that has a plastic saddle like that...and it is adjustable. Guess they wanted to swipe designs from both companies.

The logo I mentioned above was the referring to the headstock inlay. I didn't notice the label details.

Archived