Gibson Brands Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Leonard McCoy

Cat Stevens' Guitar: Premiere Fan Guitar Tabs

Two Fine People (1975)

The original 1975 studio recording, which shortly aired on radio networks, didn’t age well due to fairly weak instrumental arrangement with mostly keyboards and synthesizers employed. That the song was written on and for guitar can perhaps best be glimpsed at from Steve’s various life performances of this piece on the Majikat Earth Tour in 1976, where he performed the song several times improving upon the original studio recording. This guitar tab takes the live version into account. In terms of composition, while this song is based on “Wild World,” as Steve has stated multiple times on stage, it quickly trails off into its own direction.

Edited by Leonard McCoy

Can't Keep It In (1972)

Clocking in at fourty hours, the time spent on the recording of this one album track was enormous. Co-guitarist Alun Davies went even so far to say, “It hung like a cloud over us for ages. I nearly went mad. I’d go out of the studio, pace up and down and end up banging my head against the coffee machine out of sheer frustration. I couldn’t see anything wrong with the first take, but I was really impressed that, after all that time we spent on it, Steve could still make it better.” Guitars and vocals were recorded in the upstairs studio at Morgan Studios, London, while for some reason for the recording of Gerry Conway’s drums the musicians had to transfer to the downstairs studio. For the metallic sound at end of the song, Steve threw a miked up metal tea tray from the canteen at the floor, the timing of which was so difficult to get down that the effect alone took a couple of takes. In terms of playing the song makes excessive use of palm-muting in a percussive rhythm which takes some getting used to.

I've been doing some house-keeping on some of the older guitar tabs that I revisited for a touchup.

Thinking ‘Bout You (2009)

https://catstevensguitar.wordpress.com/yusuf-songs/thinking-bout-you/

A gorgeously descending base line makes this song a pleasure to play, and listen to, on guitar. Best played fingerstyle with thumb and index finger only, swinging the latter like a pendulum. An ideal song to play for the L-body style Gibsonists out there!

One Day at a Time (2006)

https://catstevensguitar.wordpress.com/yusuf-songs/one-day-at-a-time/

The composition is very sophisticated, yet simply sublime. First-time players will enjoy the arpeggios and its spiel on alternate or descending bass notes.

Miles from Nowhere (1970) - for guitar

https://catstevensguitar.wordpress.com/tea-for-the-tillerman-1970/miles-from-nowhere/

“Miles” very much reflects the stage where Cat stood at the time on his spiritual, self-seeking journey after his reconvalescence from tuberculosis. The song’s arrangement is typical Tillerman, with Cat singing and playing guitar, but a prominent, Floyd Cramer-like piano (also Cat) was being added later on in the recording process which would prove to be the driving force in stage performances of this song along with a 12-string guitar accompaniment.

Edited by Leonard McCoy
added links