Gibson Brands Forums

Dreaming...if you had $10,00 to spend on gear

Jeff Bostic

I'd get a Gibson LP Standard, an American Telecaster, an American Stratocaster, a Fender Twin, and a Marshall 1959 100 watt (with whatever cab Angus used with it). If there's anything left I want an Epi Thunderbird bass.

Ha ha, bump that daydream up a few thou...or more I bet [smile]!

What would you get?

I'd get a Gibson LP Standard, an American Telecaster, an American Stratocaster, a Fender Twin, and a Marshall 1959 100 watt (with whatever cab Angus used with it). If there's anything left I want an Epi Thunderbird bass.

Ha ha, bump that daydream up a few thou...or more I bet [smile]!

What would you get?

You do recognize that your post title says $10,00 and not $10,000? In many places the comma is used vs a decimal point.

I did and have. I'm at about $15,000 now. But, if someone gave me an additional $10,000 to be used only on gear, I'd get an R8, R9 or R0. Probably R0. But, just $10,000? I'd pay off my car and take that payment and put it away for future gear purchases. :D

I did and have. I'm at about $15,000 now. But, if someone gave me an additional $10,000 to be used only on gear, I'd get an R8, R9 or R0. Probably R0. But, just $10,000? I'd pay off my car and take that payment and put it away for future gear purchases. :D

I'm beginning to feel like Dr. Evil..."Here's the plan. We get the warhead and hold the world ransom for.......one million dollars." :)

As dumb as this might sound....I'd spend it on lessons, or a few months off from work to play. Equipment, I have. Ability is lacking. :(

IMHO the best thing to get you better is to put on an album you like and play along with it. Lessons are great. A teacher shows you the rules. But I don't think there is anything more educational than sitting in with a guitar hero. And trying to keep pace.

As dumb as this might sound....I'd spend it on lessons, or a few months off from work to play. Equipment, I have. Ability is lacking. :(

+1 ^this^ Plus maybe a Peavy Delta Blues amp...msp_thumbup.gif

I'd get a set of strings - no, actually two - and the balance in cash. If that weren't possible, hmm, let's see...

Actually, I'm happy enough with my 2017 Tribute and my Flying V! But I'd probably get another, fancier-looking but not necessarily better, Lester. Happy with the 490s in my Tribute,so would stick with them. Maybe a Lester with no weight relief. Then again, the 9-hole weight relief in my Tribute is actually very nice, and it sure sounds great, too.

So I guess a fancy LP, a couple spare Tributes (for when mine needs a fret dressing or re-fret)... But like I said, I feel blessed to have my Tribute and my V. I don't really suffer from GAS.

One thing I know for sure is I'd get a fancy Les Paul for my Dad. He doesn't play, but love how they look and sound, and always said he'd like to have one just to look at. It'd be my way of saying thanks for all the amazing things he's done for me the last four-plus decades.

1. A Gibson True Historic 1959 Les Paul. 2. A Vox AC30HW60 60th Anniversary Hand-wired AC30 amplifier 3. A leather strap 4. A cloth woven cord 5. Fender thin celluloid picks. I'm ready to gig. I'll kick in the rest if $10,000 isn't enough.

1. A Gibson True Historic 1959 Les Paul. 2. A Vox AC30HW60 60th Anniversary Hand-wired AC30 amplifier 3. A leather strap 4. A cloth woven cord 5. Fender thin celluloid picks. I'm ready to gig. I'll kick in the rest if $10,000 isn't enough.

Ha, ha, good choices. But I'd sub medium picks [biggrin] .

I think I would like one of these very early Coronet's with a really long neck like this 59 below that's on eBay for $8,595.. :)

I had one of these in 1972 that I bought for a $100 and replaced the anemic pickup with a humbucker ... oops... [confused]

s-l1600.jpg

This image is hosted on eBay and could disappear.. See coronet listing

If I had £7, 356.85 for a guitar...

It seems not even MaCari's could help me again for that budget.

http://www.macaris.co.uk/guitars/electric-guitars/gibson-electrics?&pg=0

You see, when shopping for guitars for real, with that to your name...

MaCari's whenever ever I'ved visited, have had nice guitars, but nothing that I'd spend my money on when push came to shove, with guitars out of budget galore, it's a case of, for me, if I had that money, and it would be just for guitar, would be a first.

I guess £7, 356.85 ($10, 000.00) I guess I'd go to London and see what's for sale or browsing the internet to see what the world's got and then worry about CITES on any getting them to the UK.

https://notomguitars.com/collections/electrics/products/2001-gibson-1957-historic-les-paul-tom-murphy

My guitar was sold hanging next to this one and I don't think any of them had their scratch plates on, (I know mine didn't).

That Tom Murphy in the above link; but mine's a gold top/dark that I saw in budget that had the shapes and head stock that I love and mine's a dark back, that's a light back, I didn't want a light back gold top, I wanted a dark back. I tried it (unplugged because I declined having it plugged in just to hear what the wood/guitar sounded like, sounded great/was love at first play, it had that thicker neck profile I was shopping for) - and mine was £3, 995.00 and I just set a £4k budget in the first shop I saw, and they both had their price tags on, and this is £5k (that's gone up by £500.00), which actually fits in with what the owner/Guv' who sold me my R7 said when I tried to get myself a better price, he said he already took off £500 and there was a sale on everything and that it was £4, 495.00 - that's a cool fact to learn that prices seem to have gone up by about how much he said it was reduced by to begin with when I tried to haggle him down; I really was fortunate to find my guitar. :)

Love it, love them both, Gibson are amazing.

But I probably wouldn't get that Tom Murphy that was hanging next to my R7 when I bought my R7 if you gave me $10, 000.00 to get a guitar.

They have more guitars in store though and on their Instagram.

https://www.instagram.com/notomguitars/

Including my one!

This was my guitar how I bought it but with its scratch plate on;

This is a close up of the back of the head stock just in case you want to see.

60b825e03bcba152f83f0d35174ec359.jpg

What is this thing?

£7k

https://notomguitars.com/collections/guitars/products/1916-gibson-style-u-harp-guitar

Investment? Tonal Heaven?

That would be me p'ing away £7k though.

Archived