Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson Picks / Thickness ?

Murph

I'm going to be ordering more stuff from the online Store, maybe help Ma Gibson make a tad better margin and such. Gonna stock up on some T-shirts as well.

I am stuck on the orange Tortex .60mm it seems for many years. If I go thicker it bugs me, if I go thinner it bugs me. Which Gibson pick in the "Tins" would come closest to this feel? I can't find the thickness of them.

Hi Murph - I believe the Gibson Heavy picks would be closest, but think these might even be a little thin compared to the .60mm tortex you're used to. Not sure why - but somewhere in my head I have that the Gibson heavy's are similar to a .45 / .50 mm pick - but could be wrong.

Murph - I use a lot of different brands and styles of picks, depending on the day, the moon phase, my mood... etc.

Try these; I use the heavies, but here are mediums. Nice feel: https://www.amazon.com/Cool-Picks-Pure-cell-Celluloid-Flatpick/dp/B00K2ER7GY/

Also try these; I also use the heavy (red gel) version, but here are mediums: https://www.amazon.com/Dunlop-486PHV-Gels-Heavy-Players/dp/B0002D0CMG/

Want to spend a bit more money? This is an awesome pick: https://www.amazon.com/Clayton-Picks-NSM-Guitar-Pick/dp/B00743L2NA/

Finally, I have stayed away from blue chip picks, but finally broke down and bought two a few months back. One of them is my favorite pick - but warning: they are $35. I have this one, and I use it when I want a thick tone: http://shop.bluechippick.net/products/TPR45.html

I just want to support Ma Gibson and will be buying more Gibson labeled stuff from the Store.

But I would love to know about those thickness's on the black picks in the "Tins".

I saw a Gibson 'collectible tin' at my Mom&Pops last week. I think it was going for $25. The paper label on the back said 'standard'. I know they also make 'thin'.

I would guess that means they either make, or have chosen not to, 'heavy'. I would guess the 'standard' would be close to a .60. I've got Tortex and Gibson and think the stiffness is about the same for what I remember is comparable material.

It's hard to make comparisons between picks based on thickness alone unless the materials used are of the same or comparable elastic modulus (stiffness per unit of thickness). Not all plastics are equally stiff for the same thickness.

A .75mm pick of one material may behave differently compared to a pick of the same thickness that is made from another material. Given how picky (ouch) most of us are about our picks, it's generally a case of experimentation to find what you like.

I know it's an endless search for me.

It's hard to make comparisons between picks based on thickness alone unless the materials used are of the same or comparable elastic modulus (stiffness per unit of thickness). Not all plastics are equally stiff for the same thickness.

A .75mm pick of one material may behave differently compared to a pick of the same thickness that is made from another material. Given how picky (ouch) most of us are about our picks, it's generally a case of experimentation to find what you like.

I know it's an endless search for me.

I’ll have a different pick each time I play

Sometimes I like thin and sometimes thick

Mostly mediums though

I'm going to be ordering more stuff from the online Store, maybe help Ma Gibson make a tad better margin and such. Gonna stock up on some T-shirts as well.

I am stuck on the orange Tortex .60mm it seems for many years. If I go thicker it bugs me, if I go thinner it bugs me. Which Gibson pick in the "Tins" would come closest to this feel? I can't find the thickness of them.

You may want to give the store a call and ask.

They are in Nashville, TN

1-800-4GIBSON

1-800-444-2766

I just want to support Ma Gibson and will be buying more Gibson labeled stuff from the Store.

But I would love to know about those thickness's on the black picks in the "Tins".

I agree, I like to support them and I like their picks..I also enjoy promoting their brand. I was very happy to see that they expanded their selection of items in the store.

Archived