Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson files Chapter 11 bankruptcy

BigKahune

I blame the news channels. , endless hours speculating about what might or might not happen

I'm with ya there.. some of these news networks are causing far more problems then they've ever even attempted to solve.

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The media love the negative. If the story isn't negative, they'll attach a "what if" scenario that is.

Not much good to report from this, but I agree that speculation about the future, without an inside source, is useless.

Seems that Henry was hoping old technology would make a comeback... or he was hoping that those subsidiaries would be innovative enough to compete in, or open up, new markets. Either way, it didn't seem to work out, and he didn't seem to be the one to provide the necessary leadership.

Largest Creditors #2 and #4 are timber supply companies, about a million and a half in arrears as of filing. Can't make guitars without wood. "safe" isn't really something accurate in these instances. I hope they can work it out with the past due bills, these are the things they need to do if they are going to satisfy the bond holders.

rct

Why don't they make an Henry Guitar, and make it out of nothing but Richlite and of course put a tuner on it.

Why don't they make an Henry Guitar, and make it out of nothing but Richlite and of course put a tuner on it.

Oh they could make a very nice Henry Guitar, as would fit his stature. From Music Trades Magazine:

"The proposed reorganization plan wipes out the ownership stake of existing Gibson share-holders, including CEO Henry Juszkiewicz, who held a 36% stake, and President Dave Berryman, who held a 49% stake. However, Berryman will be retained for a one-year period at a salary of $3.35 million to aid in a management transition, and Juszkiewicz will receive 2.1 million to provide consulting services for a year. Juszkiewicz will also receive approximately $1.5 million in profits from the sale of shares in TEAC held by Gibson brands. Juszkiewicz and Berryman will each also receive warrants* to purchase a 2.25% interest in the reorganized company over the next five years.

Hey that's pretty good for screwing a company into the ground while laughing in your face, right?

rct

*In finance, a warrant is a security that entitles the holder to buy the underlying stock of the issuing company at a fixed price called exercise price until the expiry date. Warrants and options are similar in that the two contractual financial instruments allow the holder special rights to buy securities.

Yes, special. Oh the arrogance of these people.

Fuk. Hire me. I can screw it up too. I want millions for an exit check after tanking a legendary guitar manufacturer. Wait he is going to be a consultant and get paid. Man O Man is this a Care Bear World we live in or what?

I'll never have my picture taken using a Gibson again, no video goes without saying. Consider them traded and I haven't even cleaned them up yet.

rct

This confused me. What are you angry about, really? Are you angry becuase you can't afford a new Gibson, or angry because Gibson offer robot tuning, or angry becuase after a lifetime of success in business and saving a brand and company we clearly all care about in some way Henry made a bad decision?

I wish people at my local guitar store would shove guitars down my throat. Where I am we have to pay from them which will generally involve a conscious decision.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. I have respect for Henry. He is clearly a great business man. He has made a huge success of Gibson for the vast majority of his time in ownership. I don't understand the decisions around consumer electronics brands any more than anyone else here but I'm certainly not arrogant enough to presume to know that it was obviously a bad decision at the time because I was not in the board room. It doesn't seem to make sense on the surface but on the surface means nothing. We will almost certainly never have enough information to form a worthwhile opinion.

I presume all the experts have run multi million/billion $ companies all their lives without ever having made a mistake?

Amen!

I am retired so don't have loads of cash but I would happily throw in a couple of hundred pounds sterling to help.

Where would I send the money and what effect would it have on the huge amounts of debt that Gibson must owe?.....zero?

I would hope that those who have made their huge fortunes such as dealerships and famous musicians whose Gibson products helped make them so rich would come to the rescue... little chance I suppose.

Chris,

Scotland.

Why would anyone bail a company out of a mess they created themselves? Dealers are not getting rich off of selling Gibson guitars and artists make money because of their talent. What am I missing?

Henry's gone! Gibson let him go. Somebody else has to come in now and straighten the place out. No more smashing SG's and telling everybody they suck. Maybe the new CEO likes SG's.

And the new owners - the main thing they made sure of - was that Henry was out of there. According to Gibson, Henry was the problem and he had to go. That's according to Gibson. At least his partner is continuing in a management position temporarily. They won't even let Hank adjust the pictures on the wall anymore. Good for Gibson. Congratulations. [thumbup] [thumbup]

Henry's gone! Gibson let him go. Somebody else has to come in now and straighten the place out. No more smashing SG's and telling everybody they suck. Maybe the new CEO likes SG's.

And the new owners - the main thing they made sure of - was that Henry was out of there. According to Gibson, Henry was the problem and he had to go. That's according to Gibson. At least his partner is continuing in a management position temporarily. They won't even let Hank adjust the pictures on the wall anymore. Good for Gibson. Congratulations. [thumbup] [thumbup]

The bondholders have been forcing them into this position since last summer. The only people that thought that Henry was their savior and that Henry was going to "turn this around" and that Henry was going to apply his business acumen and financial forecasting mad skill set to this and fix it were Henry, his family, and the Gibson Acoustic Forum. Anyone else that even read past the first two lines of any of the press releases was urging Henry to clean out his desk last year.

Sycophants have never saved a company and they never will. When the emperor doesn't have any clothes if you don't tell him you are accessory to naked emperor, if that was a crime you'd be in the joint too just for being a sycophant.

Look at the filing, read between the lines, ask someone in finance or look stuff up yourself, see what the true cost of this company being used as a personal bank is going to be in the end. Think about why you are using Gibsons, where you came from, how long you've been at this. Think about everyone that ever came up to you on a gig and wanted to talk about your guitars and all the great things you had to say about Gibson, or whomevers guitar you were using that night.

Then, think about getting had. If you aren't angry you're...well, you figure it out.

rct

Why would anyone bail a company out of a mess they created themselves? Dealers are not getting rich off of selling Gibson guitars and artists make money because of their talent. What am I missing?

Point taken but Gibson stringed instruments over the last 100 years provided the 'professional tools of the trade' to make the sounds that helped make so many musicians and vocalists famous.

Yes/ No?

Chris,

Scotland.

Point taken but Gibson stringed instruments over the last 100 years provided the 'professional tools of the trade' to make the sounds that helped make so many musicians and vocalists famous.

Yes/ No?

Chris,

Scotland.

This is exactly the kind of sycophantic drivel I'm talking about.

rct

imagine the internet chatter when cmi took over or when Orville sold...

Orville pretty much gave it up willingly. He had a company a whole 6 or 7 years, right? The sharks he got to finance him made easy pickins of it all. He wasn't as "sick" as they said he was maybe, but he was definitely..."odd", let's say.

rct

Or you could say that the musicians made Gibson famous

This ^

I like my Gibson guitars and chose them for their playability and sound. The reason I got them was that I saw and heard others playing them. They've gotten themselves in a mess and there's surely some people to blame. I sincerely hope things turn around and they produce better guitars than ever. I don't really care too much about the other divisions since I don't play piano or use any of their other products other than guitars and guitar accessories, at least not that I know of. I don't agree to salary and bonus that these guys are getting to run the company into the ground or at least not keep it from hitting rock bottom.

I'll never have my picture taken using a Gibson again, no video goes without saying. Consider them traded and I haven't even cleaned them up yet.

rct

Yeah but it's not your guitars fault!! They were good guitars before all this came up weren't they?

If you aren't angry you're...well, you figure it out.

rct

If they weren't good guitars you wouldn't be angry, hmm?

Anyway the guy's GONE. Surely that is good news?

Of course he gets a fat payoff of some sort, that's business.

He did start off well back in '86 or whenever it was.

Yeah but it's not your guitars fault!! They were good guitars before all this came up weren't they?

If they weren't good guitars you wouldn't be angry, hmm?

Anyway the guy's GONE. Surely that is good news?

Of course he gets a fat payoff of some sort, that's business.

He did start off well back in '86 or whenever it was.

They are great guitars and they will make someone else very happy.

Of course he gets a great payoff, that's how business works.

I get to demonstrate the courage of my own convictions, and I do that by not applying whatever little I know about making music to their instruments, because we don't agree on how a business should be run.

I didn't spend, and more importantly to me, my Mrs didn't spend her money on their guitars so his Mrs could drive both a Mercedes and a Range Rover. If you don't think that's what it's about God bless you in your quiet bliss, because that's all it's about.

Small To Mid-Cap Corporate Revenue as Personal Income. That was a 40 some page long one I wrote in 2015 for yet another business class. I'm only angry about it because I understand it, not because I hate any one guy or another. Too bad more people don't get angry, this kind of thing might just change if they did.

rct

Archived