Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson files Chapter 11 bankruptcy

BigKahune

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In other news, I joined my wife and kids at a school function today after work, in Nashville, she was wearing my Gibson t-shirt... random, out of the blue thing to do. I looked a bit puzzled, she asked, do you mind? I said no but you are about to get in strange conversations. Half an hour later after she was socializing she came back and asked me just what the hell is going on. [laugh]

Point taken but Gibson stringed instruments over the last 100 years provided the 'professional tools of the trade' to make the sounds that helped make so many musicians and vocalists famous.

Yes/ No?

Chris,

Scotland.

No, artists made Gibson famous not the other way around.

In other news, I joined my wife and kids at a school function today after work, in Nashville, she was wearing my Gibson t-shirt... random, out of the blue thing to do. I looked a bit puzzled, she asked, do you mind? I said no but you are about to get in strange conversations. Half an hour later after she was socializing she came back and asked me just what the hell is going on. [laugh]

The word must be more widespread in Nashville since Gibson is based there. I don’t know if anyone would notice here except the odd super geek like myself

Random side note I’d probly wear my Gibson shirt more if it were softer it kinda feels crunchy and hot like some cheap polyester stuff [laugh]

Guest Farnsbarns

Been reading reports today that the Bozeman factory have said they will be unaffected by the chapter 11 filing. I don't understand why but I thought you guys would probably know? Is t a subsidiary of some sort?

Chapter 11 is a protection from creditors....

Gibson will shed consumer electronics, lifestyle idealogy, etc.... and focus on making guitars - their knitting. Bozeman will be fine in my opinion. I hope they produce less HummingbirdProAvanteGuard stuff, and more Southern Jumbos, cool LG2s, Birds, Doves, etc... And fill up any freed production capacity with custom shop stuff.

Who wouldn't love to order a custom shop all hide glue J-whatever, with the wood they want, with the tuners they want, the inlay work they want - to personalize it...? Heck - add in a "take delivery in Bozemon" option with a flight case, and beers with the guys and gals?

Really there is no guitar that puts a smile on my face like my J-50.

I'm not rejoicing at this news, but I'm not angry.

I let go of being emotionally attached to this crap a long time ago I've seen too many companies go down in a hail of bullets, and watch the same people who were the cause of the demise, dance away with wealth most of us can never comprehend. It is what it is. I can't change it, so why waste the emotion on it..

To survive a swim with the sharks, you have to be a bigger shark. most of us.. We're more like Guppies

my sympathy is with the rank and file, the blue collar guys who show up every day, punch in on time, and try to be the best at what they do. Sure there's slip ups, they're human. But they're also the ones that are going to be put in situations they will have to find their way through with little to no help. "What did you do for the last 20 years" "Uh, I built guitars for Gibson", "I see,, so do you know how to stock a shelf in the Soap Isle?" I've been there, it aint pretty.

Mean while, the guys that run in "Hank's" circle are planning their next golf weekend, where they can schmooze, and light cigars with 100 dollar bills.

I can make ya angry, but it doesn't change a bloody thing.

Been reading reports today that the Bozeman factory have said they will be unaffected by the chapter 11 filing. I don't understand why but I thought you guys would probably know? Is t a subsidiary of some sort?

Farns.

There is a NINE PAGE thread on this subject which you have been participating in for several days over on The Gibson Lounge.

In that context - posting this innocent little question here appears to be an attempt to get a similar flare up here.

There are even references on that thread to disagreements that have existed on this forum.

So...

I would suggest.

No - request and implore, anyone here who wants to get their juices all worked up about Gibson and it's bankruptcy - just go over to The Gibson Lounge.

Let's not be a bunch of 'ME TOOers'.

And, Farns...

if I have mis-interpreted your intent - I apologize. But still - I suggest you go over to that vitriolic thread and ask the question there.

Things gettin' clamorous here in the Lounge ain't they?

For all the steam and flinging of stuff I think we all want the best for the Gibson brand and hope that whomever takes over the helm of the ship makes some more rational decisions going forward.

Gibson has made very good (and not so good) guitars over the years and have the facilities and manpower to continue keeping the name alive and eliminate some of the chaff that is being made.A core stable of classic guitars(you all know the ones I mean)with well-thought-out improvements as required would ensure success for the future I'd hope.

As far as selling off your Gibbies-well that seems to be throwing the baby out with the bathwater.We own them because we love the sound and feel of them and that hasn't ended simply because of bad business decisions along the way.Gibson survived the Norlin era and Fender made it through CBS so there's hope for all of us.

Keep the faith,gang!

I think all this bankruptcy stuff just feeds into the brand's legend. Gibson is one of those names, brands, entities, needs that has faced adversity, shutdowns, government raids, The Dust Bowl, The Great Depressions, bankruptcy, wars, and even internet guitar forums and still proudly stands.--------Gibson bashers and haters will frolic in the bankruptcy story as if it were "manna from heaven." (...like it's a validation of their dislike of the guitars) It's all part of the trappings that go with being a legend and that's okay---got to take the bad with the good. For me, I just know I've got some great guitars that I identify with. I feel that they are an extension of who I am as a person. I think the guitars are top notch instruments that compare easily with any other and my opinion is all that matters to me on this. [thumbup]

The word must be more widespread in Nashville since Gibson is based there. I don’t know if anyone would notice here except the odd super geek like myself

Random side note I’d probly wear my Gibson shirt more if it were softer it kinda feels crunchy and hot like some cheap polyester stuff [laugh]

Yea, and the bad things is that most people simply think bankruptcy means going out of business.

I got my Gibson t-shirt at the Showcase right before the Nashville flood that forced that Mall to be closed for years, the Gibson Showcase did not come back.

My t-shirt is ringspun cotton so it is quite soft.

'This post has been edited by Gibson Brands: Yesterday, 06:40 PM

Reason for edit: ...keep it clean please'

Mr Brands...Sir, you missed one repetition (P7, #128)

[smile]

Leaving aside the one-to-one stuff for a minute.....

1) Is there any completely right and risk-free, guaranteed-profit way to run a guitar company at the level of Gibson or Fender etc? The histories show all companies go up and down. 2 years ago we were hearing predictions of doom for Fender.

2) My 3 Gibsons are all 21st century - HJ period. They're good IMO. Just sayin'....

3) Joe Bonamassa. Why? Or why not? What role would he play? Is it likely?

4) Over the years here in the UK there have been several scandals about big pay-offs to disgraced or incompetent CEOs.

Of course your blood boils when you read about it. The money is fantastic.

But it's part of capitalism, as is registering your wife's car(s) as a business vehicle.

I see the mods are fawning over this arse like everyone else.

You have posted a half dozen times, one after the other, using the F and C word in every post. These posts are still visible to moderators and admins. If this were some new member or an obvious troll, I would have given them the boot with no second thought. You've been here a long time. You posted some stuff you shouldn't have posted. Let's all move on.

Archived