Gibson Brands Forums

Guilty pleasures

Rosewoody

Is there a band or performer that you know is over-the-top, maybe not very accomplished, or takes it/him/herself too seriously? And yet....you like it?

I am on a Moody Blues jag. Not that they aren't good at what they do, because they are, but what they do is so produced, slick and "popular." It is so at odds with the music I generally like, such as the blues, or rough country, or even jazz. Still.....

So, who do you like? Any Moody fans?

When I think of 'over-produced', I think of Daniel Lanois. Not sure if that's what you're getting at or not. That being said, I LOVE pretty much anything Daniel Lanois does. he's worked with the greats such as U2, Emmylou Harris et al, and done his own stuff. I love it all.

And I am a HUGE Moody Blues fan! My favourite guitar solo EVER is in the middle of Ride My SeeSaw

Is there a band or performer that you know is over-the-top' date=' maybe not very accomplished, or takes it/him/herself too seriously? And yet....you like it?

I am on a Moody Blues jag. Not that they aren't good at what they do, because they are, but what they do is so produced, slick and "popular." It is so at odds with the music I generally like, such as the blues, or rough country, or even jazz. Still.....

So, who do you like? Any Moody fans? [/quote']

I LOVE the Moodies! I have since that first spin of the album "Days of Future Past"... but I'm an old hippie.

One of my favourite Moody songs to play is "Question" from Question of Balance. It sounds terrific on the 12 string. It took me decades to discover how to play it, but finally did thanks to the Red Rocks DVD. It is played on a 12 string tuned to open C.

Here is the tab I made for it:

Question Tab

and here is a link to my cover of the song:

Question

(turn off your popup blocker)

Gotta love Justin Hayward's guitar playing and singing, John Lodges' great basslines and Ray Thomas' (now retired) exuberant tambourine and flute playing!

Saw the Moody Blues at the albert hall a few months back. They have some great classics under there belt, but a lot of shitty 80's mistakes as well.

I like lots of bands that sit slightly outside of my comfort zone at times. King Crimson, Hot Tuna, Ry Cooder (bop till you drop is surely a guilty pleasure), Donavon, Yonder Mountain String Band, Frank Zappa are all capable of both greatness, and absolute stinkers, and that's a whole lot more than can be said for most musicians. Just switched the tv on and was greeted by some bio on Robbie Williams. I really wish that un-musical tool would either od or completely vanish...

Drathbun, thanks for the chords to Question. I have their songbook but did not know it was in open C. Cool! I am a huge Moody fan, see them every year when they come to South Fla.. I thought I was the only fan left, I especially did not think I would find others here!....Mike

Add me to the Moody Blues Fan List. Ever since hearing To Our Children's Childrens Childrens in the seventies I have been a fan, although never seen them live. Believe their "On a Threshold of a Dream" is perhaps one of the best albums I have ever listened to. Unfortunately, some consider the Moody Blues "relentlessly purveyed nonsense", an opinion I do not share. I for one would vote for them to be in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.

Enjoy Playing these songs on guitar

Tuesday

Nights in White Satin

The Actor

Lovely To See You

Never Comes The Day

Have You Heard

Eyes Of A Child

Out and In

Gypsy

Eternity Road

I Never Though I'd Live To Be A Million

Watching And Waiting

Question

They Story In Your Eyes

Darthbun - seen you Question tab on the internet and it is good. I have somewhere "Question" tabbed in a Guitar Player? magazine and yours is the closest I have ever seen it to what was in the mag - The editor wrote his conversation with Justin Hayward about this song - dammed if I can find the mag now. I have Question tabbed in a music book and it is not accurate. Great job on the tabbing.

Fred

"Unfortunately, some consider the Moody Blues "relentlessly purveyed nonsense", an opinion I do not share. I for one would vote for them to be in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame."

That's what I'm talking about. The Moodies get no respect, but I see them as a group really of their time that still holds up--excesses included! And I agree, Hall of Famers.

When I think of 'over-produced'' date=' I think of Daniel Lanois. Not sure if that's what you're getting at or not. That being said, I LOVE pretty much anything Daniel Lanois does. he's worked with the greats such as U2, Emmylou Harris et al, and done his own stuff. I love it all.

And I am a HUGE Moody Blues fan! My favourite guitar solo EVER is in the middle of Ride My SeeSaw[/quote']

Lanois is a fine producer---U2 is not usually my cup, but production is first rate. I agree with the solo in SeeSaw, and for me its grace is that it "fits" such that I can't imagine it any different.

Is there a band or performer that you know is over-the-top' date=' maybe not very accomplished, or takes it/him/herself too seriously? And yet....you like it?

So, who do you like? Any Moody fans? [/quote']

Bud,

They have always been one of my favorites since the first time I heard them way back in the late '60s/early '70s. Exactly when the first time I heard them escapes me at the moment due to advanced age and too much fun at the time... Anyways, overproduction reigns in this day and age unfortunately. I remember seeing The Band in Toronto June, 1970 and I was amazed that their set sounded almost exactly like their recordings. Still a hallmark in my mind to this day.

Pic

Thanks Mike and Fred. I couldn't find a single tab that was accurate to what Justin is playing at Red Rocks. So I used the DVD to work out the chords one by one with the pause button and some good shots of him with his beautiful flamed maple Guild 12 string.

questionguild.png

To keep this Gibson related... here is Justin playing "Question" with a Gibson 12 string... anyone know what model?

A big Moody Blues fan here, so not on my guilty pleasure list. I've seen them in concert twice, the first time was in the early-mid 70s and the last time was just a couple of years ago. I took my daughter to the last concert and realized she was about the same age as I was when I saw them at the first concert! Anyway, Ray Thomas was no longer able to perform with them and I kind of missed not hearing him sing, but they had an amazing young flutist/guitarist who musically filled the void very well. Justin, John and Graeme were still going strong.

As far as over-produced guilty pleasures go.........I still pull out my old Earth, Wind and Fire and Barry White and The Love Unlimited Orchestra albums from time to time. I've also been known to listen to The Alan Parsons Project, Enya, Lyle Lovett and his Large Band and Roger Whittaker when I'm working in my shop tearing into a combine or tractor.

One of the local college radio stations has a weekly Blues hour and they play a lot of obscure records. So for the rough around the edges, music from life experience always trumps musical training, you can take it or leave it guilty pleasures.......I'm hooked on stuff coming out of either Blind Pig or Fat Possum records. Popa Chubby and Magic Slim from Blind Pig........R. L. Burnside, T-Model Ford, Junior Kimbrough from Fat Possum. This is booze, BO and bawdy behavior blues coming straight from the gut by people who are missing teeth!! And great stuff. Well worth listening to if you're a blues fan.

My over the top guilty pleasure would have to be the Reverend Billy C. Wirtz from the First House of Polyester Worship........a great piano player whose musical comedy is like Mark Russell for the trailer trash in all of us. Not for children, the sensitive or the faint of heart. (But boy is this guy funny!!!)

Yes, Alan Parsons is another, and Floyd and even Mike Oldfield--remember Tubular Bells?

Popa Chubby and Magic Slim are both favorites of mine, and Blind Pig is about as far from the slick labels as you can get.

Dave, I get the age and fun part, them were the days, eh? The Band? Excellent!!!

Hey Drathbun - JH's 12 er looks like a B45 but I'm usually wrong. Great looking guitar though.

My guilty pleasure is Islands In The Stream. Not cool where I come from but a great song. I will regularly embarass Mrs AJ and the children by joining in with it when it comes on the radio.

Archived