Gibson Brands Forums

Who has a Midtown?

LarryUK

I have a Midtown Standard. I love it. I watched this guitar sit on clearance/sale for a month or so back in 15'. Then I finally made the order when the price hit $999.00 and I am glad I did. Wonderful playing guitar with looks to match.

When the new mom and pop music store opened here I went for a visit the second or third week it was open and they had a Midtown Kalamazoo model on consignment for a grand. It played amazing. I still kick myself for not buying it. That guitar is what led me to give the standard a go.

my local music store has a Midtown Deluxe, Oceanmist blue, quilt top. richlite fretboard. it's a pretty guitar. plays well. and the Richlite fret board looks and feels nice. I didn't think I'd like it. but it's alright.

I had one. My wife bought it for me in 2013 as an Early Christmas present. I was heart sick when I opened the case. It was a breadboard. I played it maybe 6 times and sold it a few months ago in mint condition for what she paid for it. I gave her the money, and we put it towards new flooring in our home. Nice looking guitar, but nothing I would ever buy again or recommend to anyone.

I had one. My wife bought it for me in 2013 as an Early Christmas present. I was heart sick when I opened the case. It was a breadboard. I played it maybe 6 times and sold it a few months ago in mint condition for what she paid for it. I gave her the money, and we put it towards new flooring in our home. Nice looking guitar, but nothing I would ever buy again or recommend to anyone.

Just wondering what do you mean when you say it was a breadboard? Also, what was it about the guitar that you wouldn't recommend? Or is it purely based on your style of play?

I have a 2015 model that was delivered with Grover tuners on it

on sale for under 1k, new.

I was understanding it was originally a Tronical tuner model

but this guitar came to me well set-up, had a bench picture,

all it needed was new strings.

Plays like a dream.

Really good, thick sound that plays well in about any situation.

A heavy guitar, well balanced, great tone.

It may be a different bag for me

so I'm good with all of it.

I have 2, both Midtown Customs. Bought my tobacco sunburst first and it quickly became my #1. Sounds as good as any LP I ever played and plays better than most. My second is one that was very nicely customized by the previous owner. It is black with gold hardware and a gold Maestro vibrato. Been playing it a lot recently as I am prepping to sit in with some friends as a replacement for their regular who can't make a gig. It sounds different than my first and is perfect for their music. I like them both and have never done anything beyond string changes and seasonal truss rod adjustments. I am sure that like any guitar model there are some lemons out there, but not mine! Also had a Midtown Kalamazoo, which was a beautiful guitar and played very nicely. I tried using it for jazz, but just couldn't get the sound I was looking for from it, so I let it go.

my local music store has a Midtown Deluxe, Oceanmist blue, quilt top. richlite fretboard. it's a pretty guitar. plays well. and the Richlite fret board looks and feels nice. I didn't think I'd like it. but it's alright.

Is that over at Bill’s?

Just wondering what do you mean when you say it was a breadboard? Also, what was it about the guitar that you wouldn't recommend? Or is it purely based on your style of play?

I was expecting an arch top. Its was as flat as my Telecasters. The neck is much wider than what I'm used to, and overall it was a total disappointment. Broke my heart to sell a Christmas present that my wife of 34 years bought me.

• 1 month later...

I have a 2015 Midtown Standard and I love it. It plays beautifully, action is very nice and I love the neck. When I first got it, it had the GForce tuners and I immediately swapped them out for a set of Grovers. Also, the Standard does not come with a pick guard so I had one made for it. The strings were too light for my taste so I put on a set of Curt Mangan nickel wound 11-52's w/a wound G string. This guitar has very nice tone and I could not be happier.

vD3Vhim.jpg

Archived