Gibson Brands Forums

Keith Moons Exploding drum kit

Rabs

[biggrin] I suspect he planned and studied his pranks.

Here is an account from Rock Scully (Grateful Dead Manager) about how Moon 'introduced' himself to Jerry Garcia.

"What? Jesus! Moon's turned into some kind of human mole!"

There he is, the giant rat of Sumatra, busily gnawing away-urr-urrr-urrr-urrrr-in my clothes closet. There's dust all over my clothing, lumps of the wall all over the floor.

"What the hell you doin' in there?"

"My room's right next door, mate."

"You're goin' through the wall?"

"Wot uvver alternatives do you recommend?"

"Jesus, Moon, it's only drugs!"

https://archive.org/post/323652/jerry-and-keith-moon-in-nyc

Pete Townshend says this effed up his ears

Yup.

"Townshend has also attributed the start of his hearing loss to Keith Moon's famous exploding drum set during the Who's 1967 appearance on "The Smothers Brothers Comedy Hour"...

Moon was, of course, a Loveable Loon but this prank of his went just that bit too far. Townshend's hearing has been "effed-up" ever since that day.

So, ultimately, not that funny really.

Pip.

Yup.

"Townshend has also attributed the start of his hearing loss to Keith Moon's famous exploding drum set during the Who's 1967 appearance on "The Smothers Brothers Comedy Hour"...

Moon was, of course, a Loveable Loon but this prank of his went just that bit too far. Townshend's hearing has been "effed-up" ever since that day.

So, ultimately, not that funny really.

Pip.

Yeah, the story goes Moonie bribed the stagehands to double the load of explosives...

Archived