Gibson Brands Forums

Pickups.

SG dude

Everyone, look at the price of the sg standard,now at the price of an sg special. i knw there are a few differences but the pickups are nearly the same, both have 490R's but the standard has a 498T while the special has a 490T. To me the '57 range of humbuckers are the best as they REALLY boost the notes you play, these are definatly not cowardly, i think that the '57 classics should be the norm on ALL the standards, but just my opinion, what do you guys think?

It´s not a big deal to put another pickup into a guitar. They are not to expensive if you sell the old ones on e-bay for example. Gibson pickups sell very good and at reasonable prices for the seller.

My favourite Gibson pickups are 57classic, Angus signature, P90 and P94.

Everyone' date=' look at the price of the sg standard,now at the price of an sg special. i knw there are a few differences but the pickups are nearly the same, both have 490R's but the standard has a 498T while the special has a 490T. To me the '57 range of humbuckers are the best as they REALLY boost the notes you play, these are definatly not cowardly, i think that the '57 classics should be the norm on ALL the standards, but just my opinion, what do you guys think?[/quote']

disagree... i love the 490R/498T combo on my Standard - i don't think 57's should be the norm... that's what the '61 RI is for...

490R/498T are great for modern stuff (tool, nirvana), as well as vintage dirty (stooges)

I don't really care what my guitars come with for pickups. I bought a barely used SG Standard and bought it purely for the neck and the feel of the guitar. The neck was somehow made perfectly for my large spider hands. I really don't like the 490R/498T so I had them replaced with some real funk Seymour Duncans.

I ended up selling the pickups on ebay for $130. What I'm trying to say is that sound is important but these days pickups are so easy to get for electric guitars, especially ones that fit in a humbucker slot, so you should purchase a guitar for the way it feels.

The 490's are almost identical to the '57s on the chart.

Not that I believe in charts.

Murph.

yes,the 490t doesn't sound too shabby.I have that in my faded sg.I believe it does sound kind of similiar to the 57,but I think it has a kind of nasal sounding tone in it where the 57 doesn't.No idea why that would be,but thats just my observations

my bad. i just think that the 57's sound much better. but maybe thats just me.

that's your opinion - which is totatlly cool! i'm sure many would agree... but it's still your opinion... i don't think Gibson needs to revise the SG Standard... if one wants '57s, one gets a '61 RI... done

if one wants '57s' date=' one gets a '61 RI... done

[/quote']

cheers man, but i may sound like an *** here but the full pickgaurd is a MUST for me, i dont know why, but one reason is that they just look so cool. i suppose i could just do as many suggest and just change all the pickups to 57's, saves me money too!!

cheers man' date=' but i may sound like an *** here but the full pickgaurd is a MUST for me, i dont know why, but one reason is that they just look so cool. i suppose i could just do as many suggest and just change all the pickups to 57's, saves me money too!! [/quote']

NO! You´re not sounding like anything. For your guitar it´s only your taste that counts. And by the way with your liking for 57s you´re not alone. There is a pickup poll in the Pickup section of this forums and most people were voting for 57s there. And as I already wrote, changing pickups is not a big deal. If you can´t do it yourself, every good guitar shop should do this for free when you buy your new pickups there.

Greetings

Kurt

Quick question, I just purchased an SG robot special. The pickups are both black 490R & 498T they seem to rock back and forth a bit like they are loose, is that normal? I see some SG's have silver pickups. What is the difference?

Thanks in Advance

Mark T

cheers man' date=' but i may sound like an *** here but the full pickgaurd is a MUST for me, i dont know why, but one reason is that they just look so cool. i suppose i could just do as many suggest and just change all the pickups to 57's, saves me money too!! [/quote']

not at all... it's awesome that you want to tailor your SG to what YOU want! and your plan sounds like the best approach...

and the batwing pickguard is definitely cool in it's own right... i have a Standard with the full pickguard, but i think both have their place... i think i'd eventually like to also have a '61 RI or Custom Shop Historic SG Standard

Quick question' date=' I just purchased an SG robot special. The pickups are both black 490R & 498T they seem to rock back and forth a bit like they are loose, is that normal? I see some SG's have silver pickups. What is the difference?

Thanks in Advance

Mark T

[/quote']

iirc, the '61 RI and Historics use nickel covers... the Standard uses chrome... that might be what you're noticing...

SG Special' date=' picture on the Gibson site shows them as the black style with no covers. I wanted to also question they seemed loose and rocked back and forth. Is this normal?

Thanks

Mark[/quote']

shouldn't move or wobble on their own, if you press down on pickups (humbuckers), yes you can rock them a bit - since they are spring mounted

Archived