Gibson Brands Forums

I have an OLD electric guitar that doens't have a brand...

I has a somewhat of a Gibson headstock but not really. It's practically ancient by the way it sounds and there is no brand on the headstock. I thought about it being handmade but sorta ruled that out because it is from somewhere in my family and we arn't cool enought to make an electric guitar. (It still works by the way)

So I was wondering if someone could give me a possible brand, year, and model.

If no, oh well. (I'm not even sure this is the right forum. XD)

DCFC0523.jpg

it looks like a 1958-62 Kay or Harmony

Made in Chicago

http://www.vintagesilvertones.com/gallery.html

Well, I just found this, I has an A on the headstock. Maybe it was the owners initial or something I don't now but the silverstone looks almost like it. It's so close. The pickups are the same as the one I have but mine only has one and the volume and tone nobs are mixed up. (2 only) Mine looks alot older to. The switch that changes it's sound is more like a 'switch' than a lever thingy (yeah, I know I'm getting really specific... I don't really know how to describe it.)

It has the same 3 screws in the back and the cases look identical, although many cases look like that. Is there a brand of guitar that starts with an A?

Looks vintage how old is it?

I know it's vintage, but I'm not sure how old it is.

I was guessing it's old because we got it out of my grandpa's extra, older house that he stores junk in. It was about to collapse so my dad grabbed anything that looked worth value before the poor house did collapse. He thought it was my grandpas acoustic but it turned out to be this. It's not my grandpas so we aren't sure but we think it was the previous owner of the house from like 40 years ago.(I was wondering if there could be guitars as old as that otherwise I don't know. I figured that guitar was as old as electirc guitars get) The guitar and case was caked in dust and grime but i got it off. So it's pretty old. I don't know how it withstood the heat and cold without warping.

Silvertone made many guitars off that same body and they were marketed under many different names. Airline, Old Kraftsman, Silvertone, Harmony, Holiday, Barclay, likely many others and some with no name at all! It's basically the same guitar as the Silvertone in Bryan Adam's 'Summer of 69' video without all the bling.

If I had to make a guess I would say 1962-64, more gut feeling than anything. If you really want to find out, remove the pickguard and pickup assembly and post any numbers you find on the back of the volume and tone pots. You should be loking for a seven digit number that starts with 137 or 304. The other digits in the number will tell you what year and week the pots were made and therefore give you a range of when it was likely made... the 4th and 5th are the year, the last two are the week, So if you find 1376014 the pots were made in the 14th week of 1960. You can confidently call the guitar a 1960 in that case. If it was 1376051 then they were made in the 51st week and it might be more prudent to call the guitar a 1961 in that case.

If by chance there is only SIX digits then it's pre-1960, as they only used one digit for the year then.... 137842 would be the 42nd week of 1958. Actually it could be 1948 with that code also, but yours is already typical of late 50s/early 60s so that trumps.

Check the numbers and post what you find! You'll find the guitar is hollow with 1/4" plywood top and back. Some of those guitars were scary good sounding. I bought one at a yard sale one time in '86 or so for 25 cents, complete with traces of cat feces on the headstock. The finish was peeled worse than an old clapboarded house. Sounded wonderful. I repainted it black and sold it.....

Ksdaddy pretty much nailed it. It's a variation of a Harmony Stratotone. In the '50s and '60s Harmony made thousands and thousands of guitars for other companies (and a lot of department store brands) and because of that, would change certain cosmetic details. That's why if you google the Stratotone, your pickups and pickguard are slightly different. It's likely from the early '60s.

Silvertone made many guitars off that same body and they were marketed under many different names. Airline' date=' Old Kraftsman, Silvertone, Harmony, Holiday, Barclay, likely many others and some with no name at all! It's basically the same guitar as the Silvertone in Bryan Adam's 'Summer of 69' video without all the bling.

If I had to make a guess I would say 1962-64, more gut feeling than anything. If you really want to find out, remove the pickguard and pickup assembly and post any numbers you find on the back of the volume and tone pots. You should be loking for a seven digit number that starts with 137 or 304. The other digits in the number will tell you what year and week the pots were made and therefore give you a range of when it was likely made... the 4th and 5th are the year, the last two are the week, So if you find 1376014 the pots were made in the 14th week of 1960. You can confidently call the guitar a 1960 in that case. If it was 1376051 then they were made in the 51st week and it might be more prudent to call the guitar a 1961 in that case.

If by chance there is only SIX digits then it's pre-1960, as they only used one digit for the year then.... 137842 would be the 42nd week of 1958. Actually it could be 1948 with that code also, but yours is already typical of late 50s/early 60s so that trumps.

Check the numbers and post what you find! You'll find the guitar is hollow with 1/4" plywood top and back. Some of those guitars were scary good sounding. I bought one at a yard sale one time in '86 or so for 25 cents, complete with traces of cat feces on the headstock. The finish was peeled worse than an old clapboarded house. Sounded wonderful. I repainted it black and sold it..... [/quote']

Ok, I opened it up and it's from 1965 and it was made in the 12th week? So March or April.

Ok, well it smells really old when I opened it up. XD

and the E and B string are rusty and sound um...Like an indian guitar. Really ringy sounding. Is there anyway to get that off or do I just have to get some more strings for it?

The first fix would be the strings. If that doesn't work you might have to do a little tweaking on the nut or bridge and we can walk you through that when the time comes.

Yeah, I was just talking to my dad about new strings. And I'm sure it could use some work on the weird bridge, but the little nobs on the sides used to adjust it are all rusty and don't turn...

If you're serious about fixing it up, get yourself a new set of strings, a can of WD-40 (make sure it has the little red straw), a couple scrap pieces of fine sandpaper (320 or 400 grit would be great), a scrap piece of fine (0000) steel wool and let me know when you're ready. Maybe you've already got everything except the strings. What I will suggest is some shortcuts that will get it back into action and not cost anything and not require special tools of any kind. Let me know when you're ready to start because I may post a couple pics (which would save about 3000 words in my case).

Yeah, it looks like one of those old Harmony-made early electrics that ended up with dozens of "brand" names on them ranging from Monkey Ward to... whatever.

In the 1960s I used to pick up pieces like this, set 'em up and clean them up electronically and cosmetically, put on relatively light strings and it's surprising how well some of them played and sounded.

Its has kinda a pawn shop look to it' date=' which is cool, I like the tail peice and it looks like it has a wooden bridge as well. Very nice pick up, Kinda has cool feel to it as well as a cool cheapness to it, Kinda like dan electro DC 59

[/quote']

Mmhmm It does have a wooden bridge. I like it too. It's surpizingly light. I thought it would be heavier.

If you're serious about fixing it up' date=' get yourself a new set of strings, a can of WD-40 (make sure it has the little red straw), a couple scrap pieces of fine sandpaper (320 or 400 grit would be great), a scrap piece of fine (0000) steel wool and let me know when you're ready. Maybe you've already got everything except the strings. What I will suggest is some shortcuts that will get it back into action and not cost anything and not require special tools of any kind. Let me know when you're ready to start because I may post a couple pics (which would save about 3000 words in my case).[/quote']

Alright, thanks! I'll let you know.

Archived