Gibson Brands Forums

R61/T61 pickups

nopicknick

On 1/14/2021 at 11:57 PM, CBenson89 said:

How muddy do you guys find the neck pickup?  I feel like my neck pickup is extemely bassy/muddy and I have to turn the volume down in order to hear both pickups with the selector in the middle position.

Same here. 

• 3 months later...
On 3/31/2020 at 10:36 AM, Daxman said:

I'm extremely unhappy with these pickups.  The bridge pickup is so harsh, brash and ice picky no matter how I set the height.  There's no balance to it at all.  The neck isn't too bad, but I can't seem to get that one bright enough for my tastes.  And they're noisy, very noisy.  Any chance they'd sound better hand wired rather than on the PCB?

Pretty sure they don’t use PCBs since the beginning of the Curleigh Era.

On 1/14/2021 at 5:57 PM, CBenson89 said:

How muddy do you guys find the neck pickup?  I feel like my neck pickup is extemely bassy/muddy and I have to turn the volume down in order to hear both pickups with the selector in the middle position.

around the 12th fret area they sound great with marshalls like most pickups

• 3 weeks later...

I dunno what you guys are talking about.  I’m genuinely in love with the BurstBucker  ‘61s.  Creamy as ****.

Here’s a demo between the 2020 Epi LP Standard ‘60s, 2021 Gibson LP Standard ‘60s, and a 2020 Gibson LP Tribute.  The ProBuckers are very impressive, but especially the ‘61s.  They are very creamy, whereas the 490s are noticeably harsher.  I’ll take the ‘61s over ‘57s or 490s any day.

https://youtu.be/jfQOBqyQrvw