Gibson Brands Forums

Do You Have More Or Less GAS As You've Grown Older?

Jeff Bostic

I don't make any impulse acquisitions. Last guitar (Epi Firebird) I bought I have been wanting for decades. The 2 guitars I have mostly played for about 25 years are Fender Stratocaster '79 and Tokai Love Rock '85, both of which I bought used. I've had the same amp Orange Dual Terror about 10 years, am happy with it and don't need another.

Sometimes I buy effects or recording gear, maybe every year something. I guess it's getting less all the time. I have everything I need. I even think this Firebird may be the last guitar I buy

But the other gas I'm having more and more...

Do You Have More Or Less GAS As You've Grown Older?

I guess age has something to do with the evolution of how one thinks about guitars. I had a dozen fairly inexpensive guitars at one time and realized I could sell some and get a few really nice guitars. With my latest acquisition this week (NGD post upcoming), I figure I'm there. GAS no mas. Of course, I've said that before....

Less GAS since I retired.

But that was after accumulating pretty much everything I'd ever hoped to own, and also going back to revisit & purchase replacements for key instruments I'd sold in the past.

Fortunately while on a tighter budget these days, if I see something I just can't live without, all this guitar equity makes it much easier to toe the line with a one-in, one(or more)out policy.

My gas has been selective. Bought the Masterbilt Century deluxe Archtop. Felt light and cheap in my hands. Not as solid as my AJ's or DR. So I returned it. Traded my Ej-200sce in on a Fishman Loudbox mini and new mic.

Was going to buy the Century reissue electric for this year's birthday, but a mint 04 Masterbilt AJ-50rns came up on eBay which I snagged for $305 with original soft/hard case.

I do not get to play everything I own, but have a had time parting with the electrics. I have all the Korean Archtops that I want and waiting to buy an Elitist Country Gentleman in orange or red. Just missed one at a great price on eBay.

Love my Martin, but play my Masterbilts more. Should let go of my Breedlove and Takamine.

The new John Lee Hooker anniversary Zepher sounds inviting but looks too plastic from the Summer NAMM videos. Might have to buy it and just see.

The Johnny A looks great, but I really have no need for it. I keep trolling eBay and Reverb. Hoping something will peak my interest.

Archived