Gibson Brands Forums

What Makes Guitar Feel So Great?

LWAG

For me - on an acoustic - a guitar 'feels good' if the neck is comfortable and fretting is effortless, hammering on and slides ring clear. So, a good setup. There are many givens: The size and layout of the guitar (length and depth of lower bout) fits within existing standards; The tone is balanced, does not decay too fast, or sustain too long.

The first thing for me is how it looks. Do I like the way it looks and want to play it? The second thing I do is check how it feels in my hands. I check the neck and see if it's the neck I like. I'll check the setup and see if there's room for improvement if it's not perfect out of the box. After that, it's the tone of the guitar when not plugged in. If it gets that far, then I'll check the tone of the pickups through the amp, preferably one similar to my amps. If it gets that far, it may be one I'll consider. I'll play them for about a half hour before even going into an amp.

My guitars look good to me, play like a dream, sound great and I enjoy playing them. Action is fairly low on them and they have to be able to be dialed down for a moderately clean sound, a little crunch, and overdrive for lead. I use my volume and tone controls a lot more than pedals.

Yes, it's got to look nice. After that, the neck for me - does it feel comfortable? Thirdly, does it really "ring" when played unplugged? If so, you know it'll have sustain when plugged in. Lastly, the pickups - are they what you like? For me, all of these have come together with my latest squeeze (bought yesterday), a black Custom Shop Custom. It is the best guitar I have played, and I instantly love it. [thumbup]

I'm disappointed that none of you geezers got the Muddy Waters reference...

In my youth (before I got me some education in the Ways of Blues) I would have said "George Thorogood and the Delaware Destroyers!"......msp_blushing.gif......

As far as the OP?

First-off I go to check out all examples of the model I want in the price range I'm prepared to pay and try each and every one of them.

Secondly I go for unplugged tone.

Third I go for how the neck vibrations feel and check out its comfort-level.

Fourth I go for plugged-in sound.

I don't put looks high up on the list at all. This doesn't mean I discount looks completely; I simply just don't test-drive those deemed 'too unsightly' in the first place.

Admittedly this approach has left me with guitars much uglier than some others I have seen and tried but, stating the obvious, I prefer to have the ones I've bought.

Pip.

I know Muddy, but not this Greta chick. Just Googled "her".

WTF? [thumbdn]

Ok.. Now look up Greta Van Fleet the band :)

See if they remind you of anyone.

Actually I will save you the trouble. The comment was saying about a new band who sound like an old band.

What makes a guitar FEEL good to play?

For the guitar to feel good to me, the guitar itself has to 'disappear' from me. It has to feel like it is as much a part of me as my arms and hands. If I'm not distracted by the guitar itself, and only the strings and frets have my attention, I can play better. Here are a few things that work for me:

• Contoured body so there are no pressure points to irritate you after hours of playing
  • Balanced body so that you can take your hands off and have the guitar stay put (no neck dive, etc.)
  • Easy high fret access
  • The neck scale and ratio that is most comfortable for the person playing it (I prefer 25.5" and 14")
  • Easy access to the tone/vol knobs near the picking hand so that you don't have to look or waste much movement to adjust in the middle of a solo
  • Comfortable weight so by the end of the gig the sore shoulder doesn't distract you from your playing

Note: none of this helps make the guitar SOUND good, but that wasn't the question as I understood it to be.

Insights and incites by Notes

What makes a guitar FEEL good to play?

For the guitar to feel good to me, the guitar itself has to 'disappear' from me. It has to feel like it is as much a part of me as my arms and hands. If I'm not distracted by the guitar itself, and only the strings and frets have my attention, I can play better. Here are a few things that work for me:

• Contoured body so there are no pressure points to irritate you after hours of playing
  • Balanced body so that you can take your hands off and have the guitar stay put (no neck dive, etc.)
  • Easy high fret access
  • The neck scale and ratio that is most comfortable for the person playing it (I prefer 25.5" and 14")
  • Easy access to the tone/vol knobs near the picking hand so that you don't have to look or waste much movement to adjust in the middle of a solo
  • Comfortable weight so by the end of the gig the sore shoulder doesn't distract you from your playing

Note: none of this helps make the guitar SOUND good, but that wasn't the question as I understood it to be.

Insights and incites by Notes

I agree, Feeling Good has nothing to do with Sounding Good. Two different things there.

Archived