Gibson Brands Forums

Les Paul bridge and tailpiece concern

Breau

My tailpieces are resting on the body' date=' or close to it. Just make sure the strings don't touch the back of the bridge.

[/quote']

What are the ill effects of this? Both my SG and LP came out of the box with the strings touching the back of the bridge... I guess the tailpiece can be adjusted, but the higher it's set the greater the force on the mounting studs.

DJ

--

The most important factor is to not have the strings resting on the back of the bridge. Doing so can cause rattles & unwanted secondary vibrations, and increases forward pressure on the bridge studs, a particular concern on ABR-1s. Where the tailpiece studs are set seems to affect feel / string tension somewhat. There are a lot of opinions on where they should or should not be set. I set them just high enough for the strings to break over the bridge saddles without touching the back edge of the bridge. I've never proven to myself there's any benefit to having them screwed all the way into the sleeves, even though logic might suggest you'd get a bit more sustain that way. Since YMMV, try the guitar with the studs set in a variety of heights and see what works for you. FWIW, I always loosen all of the strings when moving the tailpiecce studs, and I got a tool from Stew-Mac that minimises damage to the studs, or the chance a screwdriver might slip off & scratch te top. Link below:

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Tools/Wrenches/Tune-o-Medic_Bridge_and_Tailpiece_Tools.html

Hi folks' date=' could someone help me out with this, should it be neccessary for the bridge and tailpiece on a new les paul to be adjusted so high that you can see the threads of the adjusting screws, to eliminate fret buzz.[/quote']

Sorry, meant to comment on this first. Te simle answer is no, it doesn't matter. The bridge & tailpiece height are going to depend upon the depth of the top and the angle of the neck tilt. These are going to vary slightly from one Les Paul to another, although with modern manufacturing techniques the guitars are much more consistent.

Breau, can you post a picture ? Strings touching the edge of the bridge mark the plating, shorten string life and as mentioned, put a side-loading on the bridge. Something else that produces a side loading is saddles that are adjusted near, or at their limit of travel. Screws that are fitted directly into the wood are obviously more sensitive to this. Are nine's ABR 1 bridge is showing a slight lean to the rear. I think I'd be tempted to raise the stop bar and reduce the break angle slightly.

Looking at the first picture, the bass side screw looks fine, but the bridge is leaning towards the stop bar. When you sight underneath the bridge and compare the 2 thumbwheels, they should be parallel with each other. But the treble side thumbwheel appears to be at a different angle, so it's possible it could be bent. This could explain the bridge leaning slightly. I don't think the screws are wound out too far. Are any strings touching the back edge of the bridge ?

• 2 months later...

Hi there,

I have a similar problem with my 2008 LP Traditional (bought 1 month ago):

The factory setup action already is very low (slight buzz on low E-string) but bridge and tailpiece seem to be _very_ high.

You can see 2-3 windings of the tailpiece-screws/bolts already and the high- and low-E-Strings, the A and the D-strings are touching the back-edge of the bridge.

So the tailpiece would have to go even higher (than it already is) to prevent the strings from touching the bridge-edge, right?

And to get rid of the buzz I'd have to raise the bridge, too (and then in return re-raise the tailpiece again I guess, correct?

To have it all safe and stable: How many visible windings of the bridge / tailpiece bolts would you consider still safe?

Cheers,

SpaceAceOne

Archived