Gibson Brands Forums

Tak Matsumoto Les Paul

Rabs

ahhhhh my eyes .....

;)

http://www.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/2018/Custom/Tak-Matsumoto-Les-Paul-Standard-2018.aspx

The new 2018 Tak Matsumoto Les Paul in Canary Yellow is based on a limited run created by Gibson Custom Shop for Tak almost 20 years ago – reissued now to honor of the 30th Anniversary of his famous band, B'z. The original run in 1999 marked the first time an Asian artist received a Gibson signature model, another great reason to commemorate this unique instrument. It retains all the unique aesthetics and handsome appointments as the original Canary Yellow model with some updates like an acoustically-chambered mahogany body and a mix of historic and contemporary parts and specs. It is offered as an exclusive model for Japan and Southeast Asia.

Tak Matsumoto says "Here we have the Canary Yellow Les Paul reissued about 20 years after the original. I played the prototype onstage at the last B'z 'Live Dinosaur' tour. It has a chambered body to be lighter, the neck fits tightly in my hands, and the guitar is a good match for various playing styles and tones, from heavy to clean. It is my great pleasure to see my very first Gibson signature guitar reissued to celebrate B'z 30th anniversary this year."

53uU0lH.jpg

YI5w47J.jpg

So. It's a Les Paul studio with a yellow top for $6k? Ridiculous.

Eh? It's nothing whatsoever like a Studio.

Apart from the fact it's not in a Tasteful 'Burst it's almost exactly a Chambered 1959 Reissue.

Pip.

No binding.

Yes it has. There is black-coloured binding on both neck and front-of-body.

Have you read the specs for the Tak guitar, Larry? Almost everything about it is to '59 Chambered Reissue Specifications.

The main, minor differences (colours apart) are that it has genuine abalone markers and a wired ABR-1.

I'm absolutely sure your Studio Lite is a fabulous guitar but the Tak is NOT simply an overpriced Studio.

Pip.

I like it. Except for...

The zebra look I can tolerate, but somebody elses name on it? Out of the question.

Most Les Pauls have someone elses name on it.. :) Its a signature guitar....

Most Les Pauls have someone elses name on it.. :) Its a signature guitar....

Well they all have Les's name on it anyway. So I spose these signatures represent a gestalt of some sort [flapper] .

On that subject, everybody detested Les's actual signature on the 2015 headstocks. He had arthritis in his hands. It was the best he could do. If that's Tak's handwriting on this guitar, he must have copperplate skills. Maybe they should only make signature models by players with nice handwriting. ;)

On that subject, everybody detested Les's actual signature on the 2015 headstocks. He had arthritis in his hands. It was the best he could do. If that's Tak's handwriting on this guitar, he must have copperplate skills. Maybe they should only make signature models by players with nice handwriting. ;)

I know.. I think that was a bit of a shame... I understand the idea behind it, it was meant to be for his 100th birthday and was a nice and sweet idea but the end result just looked awful...

I really like the look of that! [thumbup]

and with ebony... !

Yup. Me too!

I'm not usually a fan of black hardware nor uncovered p'ups but they both suit that one down to a 'T'.

I've never tried either of the Studio Lite variants out for myself but from all that I've read about them they play and sound as good as this one looks.

Pip.

Re OP...

Yellow = no except as part of a sunburst.

When in doubt Gibson fits gold knobs and a white/cream switch tip. Here with black pickup rings. ](*,)

Black speed knobs would look better IMO, but hey I'm not Tak...who is? He also had a signature doublecut I think?

...If that's Tak's handwriting on this guitar, he must have copperplate skills...

msp_laugh.gif

There have been quite a few Tak Matsumoto guitars released over the years and some of them have had the very same upper-bout-bass-side 'name / logo' so I'm guessing Tak, himself, used just such an embellishment on his own guitars in his youth.

Just for interest here is a snap of a much earlier Epiphone Tak sig. model showing the script, the abalone inlays, the (partially cropped-out) zebra open-coil p'ups and the black binding to both body and neck;

Tak_logo.jpg

Pip.

Archived