Gibson Brands Forums

Travel

LWAG

Sure!

Milwaukee Wisconsin is the home of Bead And Button. Every year they have the biggest jewelry making show in the world. Mrs attends every couple, and I go with her.

Three of my ten guitars are from Milwaukee, all from Wades Guitar Shop. Two CFMartins and my Esquire came from there.

Cream City is a great guitar store. I have spent a lot of time in the Gretsch room trying to find my Gretsch gene but alas, I have none. I've played a bunch of boutique acoustics there, the only places I've touched a Bourgesois and a few Collings and a Froggy Bottom. Cream City has an enourmous amount of pedals too. All around, a great store.

The Guitar Center out at Brookfield is a good one as well. I've gotten a couple cases there, I always stop in when we are out there.

Waukesha is a sort of western suburb of Milwaukee. I have not ever paid attention to any Les Paul stuff there, so I don't know what they do or have.

Two words: Restaurant Sanford. One of the best small kitchen farm to table thingies in the country.

Two more: Bring money!

Have fun, Milwaukee is a great town.

rct

Sure!

Milwaukee Wisconsin is the home of Bead And Button. Every year they have the biggest jewelry making show in the world. Mrs attends every couple, and I go with her.

Three of my ten guitars are from Milwaukee, all from Wades Guitar Shop. Two CFMartins and my Esquire came from there.

Cream City is a great guitar store. I have spent a lot of time in the Gretsch room trying to find my Gretsch gene but alas, I have none. I've played a bunch of boutique acoustics there, the only places I've touched a Bourgesois and a few Collings and a Froggy Bottom. Cream City has an enourmous amount of pedals too. All around, a great store.

The Guitar Center out at Brookfield is a good one as well. I've gotten a couple cases there, I always stop in when we are out there.

Waukesha is a sort of western suburb of Milwaukee. I have not ever paid attention to any Les Paul stuff there, so I don't know what they do or have.

Two words: Restaurant Sanford. One of the best small kitchen farm to table thingies in the country.

Two more: Bring money!

Have fun, Milwaukee is a great town.

rct

Yeah, that was a double post/double create thread instant; so 'Travel' was one topic I like, one topic I hadn't seen here yet, and something honestly, to spare us two clone threads about Waukesha....

So, have you been to Waukesha personally then? - I don't know/hope those Les Paul guitar statues are still in town, since it's a former Gibson Guitar Town USA in honour of Les.

I'm planning a 14 day trip to the US with 5 days in Waukesha then fly out home on two flights back to London from Milwaukee getting a big plane in Minneapolis/St. Paul and arriving in England the next day (I want it to be Saturday) back in London at around 1 pm, and then I can go home and unpack maybe and get used to Soho/England again that night - that's the plan ...

I'm thinking money alone for the guitar purchase and any CITES I'd try and get done even if it means shipping them to the East Coast with the funds to CITE & Ship to family of mine there so they can be CITED' and sent to me in London if push comes to shove....

Bring money indeed.

I've been in Waukesha a few times, I think there is a tea shop out there that Mrs likes so I get her some.

I do not know if they have statues of Les.

rct

I've been in Waukesha a few times, I think there is a tea shop out there that Mrs likes so I get her some.

I do not know if they have statues of Les.

rct

Awww :(

Guess they never stayed.

Seems like it was a 5 years ago one time only event then.

Still, it'll be a pilgrimage nonetheless.

I went here 6 years ago. Ny-Alesund on Spitsbergen isle well inside the Arctic Circle.

Its a little research station with a 'permanent' population of about 35 people.

It was just a port (holiday) visit for me, but I loved the landscape of valleys & glaciers. You cant wander unaccompanied and unarmed because of polar bears.

I took these pics there.

q5GN120.jpg

Q8St7UX.jpg

The future? I would love to visit New Zealand and Japan.

I have been all over the place.. USA (only once), Australia, South Africa, Spain, Israel, Amsterdam (5 times :unsure: :) ) and France.

Id kind of like to do more of the US. I only went for work one time to LA so id like to see some of the country.. Those big long roads you guys are known for. Apart from that I don't have much urge to travel at this point in time.. Id love to go to Italy one day though.

This week I've been to Exeter, Totton and Reading.

Going to Romsey on Saturday and Mortimer next day.

Lots of places I'd like to go. France, Vienna, Europe mostly.

@ME - super pics but that's COLD....!

This week I've been to Exeter, Totton and Reading.

Going to Romsey on Saturday and Mortimer next day.

Lots of places I'd like to go. France, Vienna, Europe mostly.

@ME - super pics but that's COLD....!

I love taking pics.. The best ones I ever took were in South Africa.. An amazing place for wildlife...

I took all of these

VA0yG46.jpg

yMjIkud.jpg

imVuTnu.jpg

and this video

I went to USA in my 20s for a few months.

I stayed with friends in Baltimore for some weeks before taking Trailways buses to California. I paused halfway in Alburquerque NM. I stayed in SF for a couple of months and managed to catch 2 Grateful Dead shows in December 1977 at Winterland* before returning to NY in the new year.

I was traveling on a tight budget, staying in YMCAs & anywhere cheap. Other than the coast to coast travel, I walked everywhere. Met some fun people.

* have these shows on Dicks Picks cds now :)

I didnt return to USA until 2014 when I did a cruise that took in NY (2 days), Newport, Boston, Portland and then on to Canada.

So far I've been to the US twice, and the NL twice.

First left my country for 2 weeks in November 2001 with my older brother by 2 years to see our American Brother and Sister in PA and NJ. Resided in PA in the US, resided on the Jersey Shore in Seaside Heights in the State of New Jersey, celebrated Thanksgiving in 2001 in Toms River, NJ with my sister's in-laws.

We also met friends in DE and saw NYC one Saturday afternoon and it reminded me of London but in America (and I wasn't expecting that), but it felt like I was back at home out in America randomly. I mean, I saw a pub, a HSBC bank, double deckers/busses, a guy walking around Manhattan with the Welsh Flag hoody, Union Jacks, things, walking and taking public transport again... I was in America and it was New York City, but it felt like London when I was as good as fresh off the boat in America.

I went in 2004 to my brother's wedding in PA, and spent the weekend with my sister in NJ.

Got back to London, wanted to hot Oxford Street A.S.A.P just to have done then two in two weeks (London and NYC)...

And that trip opened my eyes up to the world a bit, and what my hometown is, which what New York City is, and that is it's a world city.

I even asked myself back at home in The West End (my haunts)... 'What is home?' - 'What is London?' 'What is New York City?' Different compared to Philadelphia even, which is a great American City, but not a World City... New York City is a world city, like home. - Had me asking 'What is England?' and 'What is London?'. (Until I saw England and saw). / they're different, England and London but London's still in England, but, it's different, like NYC is different to places in America that I've seen, London's like that with what I've seen. Eye opening stuff. - I've a sneaking Supposition that Los Angeles is one and so is Tokyo and Paris.

I got to explore more of the Boardwalk in Seaside Heights NJ since that's where I was fun.

In September 2015 I went on this thing with my Ebony Lesbian Crew to party in Amsterdam, an event hosted by DJ Carmen London; In 2016 I went back with them, had even more fun in June 2016. (chartered bus where you get drunk going and stoned coming back) to go to Amsterdam from London via Calais.

It's a small world, I met a couple who's seen me in Soho the first time I went, and the 2nd time I went, Amsterdam remembered me from the first time I went.

Was fun.

Going in June 2016 (stoned and drunk going).

Coming home.

Turned out Amsterdam is another World City with things you see in London and things you see in New York City.

It's trinkets made in China with what ever city it's in stamped on it being pushed... It's cool though, reminds me of home.

In my honest and humble opinion.

Amsterdam, with trams galore, is like if Croydon Town Centre and The City of Westminster had a baby and gave it recreational marijuana and said it could be a prostitute if it wanted, like Soho (the one in London) but different.

Like, the Red Light District, where such an event loves to stay, is a great. People from all over, things from all over, is great, world city... but I've heard it's not like the rest of NL by people who I went with the first time and then went again somewhere else and said it was a whole other ball game but they found the chocolate sprinkles I liked and remembered me by them.

Hagelslag, it rocks, love it, wish we had it here in the UK. Hagelslag.

I came home with so much Hagelslag and Chocomel.

I'm lucky enough to travel extensively for work. Actually not luck, I planned it that way. I wrote a lot of academic papers and a few books when I was young in order to get invited to meetings which is a great reason to travel.

2 weeks ago I was at our 22nd annual meeting in Graz, Austria. What a beautiful place and great time of year to go.

Here is a picture of the hill in the center of town which houses the Schlossberg castle at the top (it's to the left of the field of view and not included). The stairs leading up are called the "Krieg Steig" or War Stairs because the Austro-Hungarian empire forced Russian prisoners to build the staircase during World War 1. The clock tower at the top is famous.

IMG_0275_zpsecwqksop.jpg

Here's a panoramic or the top of the hill with the clock tower visible. The river below is the river Mur which eventually joins the Danube and flows into the Black Sea.

IMG_0496_zpsbpfbnqrx.jpg

Here's the castle:

IMG_0411_zpsmeikfvqn.jpg

I had to google 'Ebony Lesbian Crew'.......

Flew Pan-Am to L.A. in early 1980 to visit friends in Manhattan Beach. Only for a couple of weeks.

Saw John Abercrombie Quartet at Lighthouse Hermosa Beach, Roy Buchanan at the Roxy and also a band called the Fast.

Bought 1967 Tele from Westwood Music, got it modded (B-Bender) by Gene Parsons. Still have it though I once sold it and had to buy it back.

Hired car, drove out to Grand Canyon, got a room overlooking the South Rim, spent 2 days there.

Drove back over Hoover Dam and East-West through Las Vegas. I didn't stop.

The plane I flew on was the one that was bombed and crashed at Lockerbie 8 years later.

:(

Archived