Gibson Brands Forums

If money was no object?

LWAG

Possibly...I would not like spending that much on a guitar but I wouldnt rule if out completely.

welcome to the forum...were you able to survive the big wedding?

I was able to until you asked me about it. ;)

Just kidding, I saw it on YouTube and the news, it looked very nice.

I wanted this when it was £9k

https://reverb.com/uk/item/5609263-gibson-double-neck-eds-1275-1974-natural?gclid=Cj0KCQjwlv_XBRDrARIsAH-iRJRUOGjU7E1WicVP8eE2zVrRzMP42kxjc0HwHcRh5ULP2xC90Js512QaAt2MEALw_wcB&pla=1

I'm pleased to see it's still apparently for sale, at £7.5k - Currently too rich for my blood.

1974 natutal wood Gibson EDS-1275.

I'd mod this with Tone Pros, Seymour Duncan and Jim Dunlop Strap Lock System (assuming I liked how it felt/sounded and the serial numbers and badges and everything were all present and correct).

With no restriction I'd buy all the guitars I've dreamt of. I've got my Hamer's.

I'd have a dozen LP's and all the odd ones. A Travis Bean. A plexiglass. A Vox Teardrop. Some Knaggs, PRS and Suhr.

I'd have some beautiful cars and lots of dogs.

https://reverb.com/uk/item/11139027-travis-bean-tb1000s-standard-natural-1978-s370

Travis Beam (£4.8k)

I took a snapshot of one I ogled so much;

10208299764842366_by_treborillusion-db8xbm5.jpg

But it didn't have the price.

I asked later, after it was sold; the owner of the shop remembers this guitar, told me it went for £8k - I didn't question it or nothing; Only Travis Beam I had seen at that point, £8k, why not? - Then the shop owner told me why it was £8k (without me asking) - saying it belonged to The Clash.

£8k The Clash Travis Beam.

That guitar looks very similar to my Traditional. I think I'll take the 350k and keep the guitars I have. Or, take that one, sell it for a profit, buy new cars, new house and maybe a couple new guitars.

There's this site in Thornton Heath (South London) / just off the A23/within walking distance of Thornton Heath railway station...

I'd like to buy that and convert that into a world class recording studio, so if you're in Central London, you could ride the train to it.

One added 'thing'... I've seen money on this road, like luxury cars and nice houses... I believe it's where one of Krept and Konan lives (some successful local artist/rappers)... But whoever owns those luxury cars and throws those loud parties I'm never invited to, on that little street is a couple of buildings (a hall and a garage/auto shop)... I want to buy the block (like 2 or 3 buildings on this one site) and convert it all into my own private studio.

Then I'd found a London FM radio station to the tune of £500, 000.00 and sell advertising and give airplay to whatever I produce under my record label which'll distribute and record too.

It's not where I live, this site I've ear marked is within walking distance of mine.

I actually got this idea of this dream/ambition from Slash's biography where he speaks of waking up in NYC on a Sunday with the shakes and not being able to find a drink due to local laws in NYC until he and Lenny Kravitz rode the Subway to NJ to this recording studio to record Always On The Run - the idea of Slash and Lenny Kravitz riding the Subway to a recording studio from NYC, is where I got the idea of this site being a good location; If you're in Central London, 20 minute train ride, short walk; you're there.

I mean, Abbey Road's alright, but that's owned by Universal (and is in St John's Wood), if money was no object, I'd want my own one (in Thornton Heath, I mean, why not)?

Things I'd need if money was no object include planning permission and an architect.

I'd have to get records such as blueprints to what's there today (in the London Borough of Croydon/the local authority).

Then I'd have to hire someone who's good (the world's your oyster if they can get papers to enter the country, you can sponsor them/employ them so - if money's not an object, that's not a problem - find and hire the best) - The world's your oyster but my hometown has some talent already here which is handy - but I'd find the best architect from wherever.

I'd buy the land, buy what's on the land.... Design something brand new and use existing blueprints to survey what's there...

Knock it down, rebuild/ use the mechanics/auto shop as parking drop off/pick up point and entry and the rest of it a compound recording studio out of the existing hall once it's rebuilt from the ground up and everything ripped out and reinstalled with compounds in mind, so, like The White House or Downing Street or even Abbey Road Studios with my vibe/mojo going on).

This isn't even where I'd have a London FM radio station, because for that I'm thinking Soho, City of Westminster.

I'd buy a place in Soho somewhere, move in, broadcast.

I like the patina in the pearl in those necks on that 1974 Gibson EDS-1275.

That's why I like it, I'm not a fan of the machine heads though, or the finish; but I like the age and I do want one.

Then I'd found a London FM radio station to the tune of £500, 000.00 and sell advertising and give airplay to whatever I produce under my record label which'll distribute and record too.

Have you any idea how much a commercial radio licence for the UK is?

16 years ago I worked in student/university FM radio for a couple of years; the transmitter was limited to 5 miles range, and the licence just for that back then was £25k p.a.

The rules for broadcasting in the UK are incredibly strict.

It may look tomato soup now but knowing me and the spainish sun I'm sure it would look much more like faded in less than a year.

The other thing that interests me is the wood under that finish.

No modern reissue can reproduce that.

The 1960 used a different red which didn’t fade. That’s why it looks different. If it didn’t fade in the 58 years so far I wouldn’t expect it to now

Archived