Gibson Brands Forums

68 Hbird

JuanCarlosVejar

One clearly hear the mix of the heavy interior and the 5 decades behind the instrument. A dry, wooden, tight and defined sound.

I tried to find a video where he doesn't use capo. Didn't succeed.

Nice guitar - which features the adjustable rosewood insert. Always interesting to hear what these adj. rose-ceramic-plast variations will do.

And notice that more and more seem to appreciate them recently. I - as you probably know - have been among them for years.

Regards - The porcelain-lover

I find it difficult to judge anything from a video. You never know how the sound has been processed. As this was recorded in a studio all it would take is a bit of compression to fatten up an acoustic guitar and make the individual notes ring out more.

Folks,

The sound of this bird is unreal to my ears :

It's a 1968

JC

Just wondering why you say it's a '68? I can't see any screws in the pickguard (maybe you can?)

Here's a couple of shots of my old '68 HB. You can see the screws clearly in the pickguard. This was later in the year when they fitted the belly-down Martin-style bridge. Heavier bracing was supposed to have been introduced at this time but mine had the lighter 1/4" bracing. It was a great sounding guitar but I couldn't get on with the narrow neck and sold it.

post-92196-044165800 1527472622_thumb.jpg

I find it difficult to judge anything from a video. You never know how the sound has been processed. As this was recorded in a studio all it would take is a bit of compression to fatten up an acoustic guitar and make the individual notes ring out more.

Z,

Sorry you have such little faith in the sound of the guitar ...

Here's another video where you can see it would be harder to disguise any sonic tricks and I still like the tone I hear!

JC

Just wondering why you say it's a '68? I can't see any screws in the pickguard (maybe you can?)

Here's a couple of shots of my old '68 HB. You can see the screws clearly in the pickguard. This was later in the year when they fitted the belly-down Martin-style bridge. Heavier bracing was supposed to have been introduced at this time but mine had the lighter 1/4" bracing. It was a great sounding guitar but I couldn't get on with the narrow neck and sold it.

Charlie,

Yeah you can see his also has the screws in the video I posted above for ZW .

Does your 68 bird have the high gibson logo too?

JC

Charlie,

Yeah you can see his also has the screws in the video I posted above for ZW .

Does your 68 bird have the high gibson logo too?

JC

Yes, JC, I can see the screws clearly now. Mine had the high logo (I'd post a photo but have used my allowance). Mine sounded nice, I just couldn't get on with the neck. I prefer the early '68 HBs like this one (and earlier, better still)

Charlie

Z,

Sorry you have such little faith in the sound of the guitar ...

Here's another video where you can see it would be harder to disguise any sonic tricks and I still like the tone I hear!

JC

Not lack of faith in the guitar but full faith in the recording process. Just this weekend I watched a friend's son record something on his laptop and then use some kind of transposing software to lower it an octave, add a dash of slapback echo and such. Not saying everybody does this just that you cannot always trust the sound you are hearing to be a fair representation of the instrument. All it takes is a computer, the right software, and the knowledge of how to use it.

Archived