Gibson Brands Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Jinder

My Cherry J180 Custom Shop Ltd has a weird quirk...

I was playing my J180 at a gig tonight and when I was packing up, I placed the guitar back in it’s case just as the (very bright) house lights went up, and something odd caught my eye-through the lighter parts of the mottling on the pickguards, it looked as if the sections of the top that were covered with the guards were in fact natural finish and not stained cherry...when I got home, I did some more investigation and, LP and behold, found that both “wings” of the guitar that are under the pickguards go from cherry to natural finish, around 8mm in from the edge of the guards.

It doesn’t bother me, but I’m curious as to Gibson’s reason for doing this...to prevent someone taking the guards off and trying to pass it off as a cherry J185 perhaps? It seems a lot of extra work for the spray booth.

The more I play this guitar, the more I love it. The neck is exquisite and it’s really starting to open up beautifully. It’s a 2014 but I don’t think it saw much action before I owned it. I’ve gigged it relentlessly for the last month or so (17 gigs and several sessions plus loads of home playing, I’ve rarely picked up my other guitars since I bought it) and it just keeps on getting better. It’s SO balanced and even, records like a dream and every sound engineer who has worked with it live has been full of compliments about the plugged in tone. I was expecting to have to change out the Element VTC unit but it really suits the 180.

The original EB's had no finish under the guards from what I have seen.

Taken from the Billie Joe product page:

The classic double tortoiseshell pickguards were originally created by Gibson in the 1960s. For the Billie Joe Armstrong Model, these pickguards are brightly accented by a custom finish masking technique that allows the natural woodgrain of the sitka spruce top to shine through the multi-toned pickguard material

JC

Edited by JuanCarlosVejar

This technique was applied to the J-185 models before the Everlys model used it.

Here's a good photo from Gruhn's illustrating this:

AG6244e.jpg

Not all the sunburst J-185s had the blanked-under-the-pickguard finish though; you'll see examples that don't have that masking.

Fred

Taken from the Billie Joe product page:

The classic double tortoiseshell pickguards were originally created by Gibson in the 1960s. For the Billie Joe Armstrong Model, these pickguards are brightly accented by a custom finish masking technique that allows the natural woodgrain of the sitka spruce top to shine through the multi-toned pickguard material

JC

Another example of attention to detail that I never would have thought of. It makes perfect sense- that having a sunburst behind a pick guard would throw off the shading and make it look weird. A lot more work - more margin for error, more risk of complaints.

Of course - there are some folks who would disagree with this practice. Somewhat subjective I guess. And a few of those would call it a quality issue on That Other Forum Not To Be Named.

Confirmed - my Everly does not have finish under the pickguard. My theory on those guitars is that they applied the pickguard with glue, sprayed the nitro, and then removed the sticker wrap that covered the top of the pickguard. You can see the ebony finish touching the sides of the pickguard if you look closely. The newer ones have a stencil of some kind. I believe Gibson started doing this in 2010 or 2011. J180s prior just had the pickguards over the finish.