Gibson Brands Forums

Fret nibs

FemmeParallell

Hello guys, im new and have a question: i have a 2016 traditional LP, love how it sounds and looks but recently i came across the low E string getting stuck in between the fret and the nib, its not just one fret, its a couple of them. I've been reading that this happens quite often, never had this issue on my other Gibsons, and i read that the recommendations are filling in the gap with either crazy glue, titebond, or binding melted in acetone; or refretting. I was considering the first until i read that if in the future i wanted to do a refret by filling the gap with either one of these it would make it hard to get the fret outs.

My question is, if i go with refreyting and losing the nibs and keeping the binding, would it loose value?

Dont know what do to here, i was bummed out and even considered selling it, but i really love how it sounds even though its heavy as hell!

Your opinions are welcomed!

Hello guys, im new and have a question: i have a 2016 traditional LP, love how it sounds and looks but recently i came across the low E string getting stuck in between the fret and the nib, its not just one fret, its a couple of them. I've been reading that this happens quite often, never had this issue on my other Gibsons, and i read that the recommendations are filling in the gap with either crazy glue, titebond, or binding melted in acetone; or refretting. I was considering the first until i read that if in the future i wanted to do a refret by filling the gap with either one of these it would make it hard to get the fret outs.

My question is, if i go with refreyting and losing the nibs and keeping the binding, would it loose value?

Dont know what do to here, i was bummed out and even considered selling it, but i really love how it sounds even though its heavy as hell!

Your opinions are welcomed!

Hi FemmeParallell;

Another option I seem to recall seeing on this very forum (although I cant recall the member) used a heated metal spatula to gently warm the binding and push it in towards the fret end closing the gap. Hopefully they are still around and will see you post to provide more detail. You could try the search option for the forums but I never seem to have much luck with it myself.

Johnny

Another option I seem to recall seeing on this very forum (although I cant recall the member) used a heated metal spatula to gently warm the binding and push it in towards the fret end closing the gap...

Yes. Bence (btoth76) was the guy who took this approach and it worked perfectly.

Good luck, FemmeParallell.

P.

Archived