Gibson Brands Forums

Mod Gibson 57 classic zebra 2 wire into 4 wire conductors

Light767

Hi there

I have a 57 classic and a 57 classic plus pick ups reverse zebra, 2 wires. I'm trying to MOD them to make them 4 wire conductors. I have removed the tape (which sadly is the PVC type and not the cloth type) and I have seen that the wire inside are all black and not colored as usual. What can I do?

Hi there

I have a 57 classic and a 57 classic plus pick ups reverse zebra, 2 wires. I'm trying to MOD them to make them 4 wire conductors. I have removed the tape (which sadly is the PVC type and not the cloth type) and I have seen that the wire inside are all black and not colored as usual. What can I do?

here there is a picture

Whats_App_Image_2018-06-02_at_12.27.15.jpg

As you can see all the wire are black so I don't know how to distinguish a wire from the other because on the internet it's full of guide based on the color of wires.

here there is a picture

Whats_App_Image_2018-06-02_at_12.27.15.jpg

As you can see all the wire are black so I don't know how to distinguish a wire from the other because on the internet it's full of guide based on the color of wires.

Hi

This is my situation better explained 20zvgcj.jpg

Hi

This is my situation better explained 20zvgcj.jpg

Hi Light;

Looks to me like someone has already been at that pickup and soldered some of the wires incorrectly. Also, your ground wire (braid around the external wire) has been chopped back so far as to be unusable.

The "what is this" wire should not be soldered to the external wire, but prob to the wire that is currently soldered to the external wire. That is assuming that the other internal wires are hooked correctly (N/S or start/finish). Anyway, you were originally asking about 4 wire pickups, well there are the four wires. These will need to be extended out to give you coil split or series/parallel wiring (also the ground which is chopped back).

Hope that helps

Johnny

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Light;

Looks to me like someone has already been at that pickup and soldered some of the wires incorrectly. Also, your ground wire (braid around the external wire) has been chopped back so far as to be unusable.

The "what is this" wire should not be soldered to the external wire, but prob to the wire that is currently soldered to the external wire. That is assuming that the other internal wires are hooked correctly (N/S or start/finish). Anyway, you were originally asking about 4 wire pickups, well there are the four wires. These will need to be extended out to give you coil split or series/parallel wiring (also the ground which is chopped back).

Hope that helps

Johnny

I manage to made the MOD at the end, the wire that you see in the picture and that I didn't know what it was, it's actually the wire that is solder to the bobbin wound. I have had to repair it because it was desoldered.

Archived