Gibson Brands Forums

Guitars you haven't played on (yet)

LWAG

Charvel.

I mean I haven't played on a BC Rich yet either, but, right now, I'm going to talk about Charvel;

https://reverb.com/item/11230996-charvel-san-dimas-2009-kandinsky

Beautiful...

If I bought this, I'd know where to put my kill pot and Zakk Wild EMG Set from my parts guitar and I'd have wood cut out for a battery box and for a floating bridge.

That said. . .

I have never played on one yet; I'm just basing my vision for that guitar based on ascetics and the reputation of the brand/the price of the guitar alone.

I see them for sale in Regent Sounds, London and, just haven't been fussed to try.

I confused it for the longest time with a budget guitar, but apparently it's not, Charvels aren't.

I also haven't played on a PRS yet either, look nice, sound amazing; been meaning to, but haven't (yet).

I've seen one Travis Bean with my own two eyes, in the window of a shop for a while, even took a snapshot of it.

Didn't get to play on it though.

They are Charvel Jackson to me. I am old.

rct

Jackson're okay.

I got to pose with one of those once.

2daybdday_045_zps9st2owto_by_treborillusion-db8tb48.jpg

Made the head of the council sing Purple Haze with a Jackson.

So; Charvel's like Jackson?

Did this guitar maker used to make Jackson, then split and now make Charvel?

Did this guitar maker used to make Jackson, then split and now make Charvel?

Wayne Charvel sold Charvel to Grover Jackson when I was in high school. So Charvel/Jackson was what we called them. Hard to find where I lived. A few years later they were just Charvel, few years after that they went away altogether and became some form of imported guitar called Charvel. I haven't followed them or Jackson at all, so I could have it remembered all wrong. They were both "super strat"s of my youth, but I didn't much care for anything called a "strat" that wasn't an actual strat. Jeff Beck used them briefly, in wild colors. I remember seeing Steve Stevens, he had a couple up there.

rct

Wayne Charvel sold Charvel to Grover Jackson when I was in high school. So Charvel/Jackson was what we called them. Hard to find where I lived. A few years later they were just Charvel, few years after that they went away altogether and became some form of imported guitar called Charvel. I haven't followed them or Jackson at all, so I could have it remembered all wrong. They were both "super strat"s of my youth, but I didn't much care for anything called a "strat" that wasn't an actual strat. Jeff Beck used them briefly, in wild colors. I remember seeing Steve Stevens, he had a couple up there.

rct

Randy Rhodes played Charvel or Jackson, to me they are the same as well. I'm old too. The guy who replaced Randy in Quiet Riot played them I think as well, and insane guitar chord fingerer Allan Holdworth played the C or the J.

The guy who replaced Randy in Quiet Riot played them I think as well,

Yes, Carlos Something-Or-Other, whom we called: Carlos Vibrattos. Not to be confused later with Vito Brata. Bratta. Something like that. Good times.

rct

I've played on a nice guitar I had never heard of before, but the person selling it told me John Lennon had one as his first guitar.

http://www.denmarkstreetonline.co.uk/news-article/1950s-Gallatone-Champion-Arrives-at-Hanks

the shop still has it; £2, 000.00 (not John Lennon's actual one, but, same make/model).

That 1950's Gallatone Champion archtop has a nice neck/feel.

I once visited a guitar player/collector with a Travis Bean, the 1500.

Very desirable but only so many were made and they've skyrocketed in price since the 90s.

Completely flat fingerboard, extremely heavy - weighs more than a heavy LP; superb guitar.

BTW the Charvel in your link? Yuk!

I can't think of many I haven't played over the years. I was never a Charvel fan because the two I played just weren't that great. Jacksons and Ibanez played pretty well. I've played a BC Rich Warlock and Mockingbird. I've played and owned a Strat and Mustang and played a couple of Telecasters. I've played a few Epiphones recently and Paul Reed Smith and they were ok but just not what I was looking for. I've played Martin and Taylor acoustics. I've played Guild and Rickenbacker. I've played Harmony, Silvertone, Kay. And, of course, since I have 5 Gibsons, and have played many others over the year, I've played lots of different Gibson models.

I've never played a Dean, Kramer, Hamer, ESP or Steinberger because they just didn't appeal to me. There's probably some I've played and/or not played that I'm not remembering.

ccccI can think of a few I've never touched. Fender Tele', Jazz Master, Gibson Fire Bird, SG, Flying V, PRS, Sterling, Ibanez, Ricken Backer, Schecter, Jackson, Any Bass, Guild, Breedlove, Cordoba, Carvin, Rodriguez, Bourgeois, Mozrite, and more I'm sure.

c

ccccI can think of a few I've never touched. Fender Tele', Jazz Master, Gibson Fire Bird, SG, Flying V, PRS, Sterling, Ibanez, Ricken Backer, Schecter, Jackson, Any Bass, Guild, Breedlove, Cordoba, Carvin, Rodriguez, Bourgeois, Mozrite, and more I'm sure.

c

Seems like a short list of what you will play. Gibson, Martin? Taylor? Fender Strat?

as for guitars i haven't played yet, it's a short list of guitars i'm not really interested in.

fender mustangs

gibby firebirds

hamer stuff (although i really would like to try them)

bc rich 10 string ***** (would like to try one of these too)

warlock i don't care for

ibanez jem, another guitar i'm not interested in because of their ridiculous price.

i bet most of you guys haven't tried an agile yet. they're pretty decent.

as for guitars i haven't played yet, it's a short list of guitars i'm not really interested in.

fender mustangs

gibby firebirds

hamer stuff (although i really would like to try them)

bc rich 10 string ***** (would like to try one of these too)

warlock i don't care for

ibanez jem, another guitar i'm not interested in because of their ridiculous price.

i bet most of you guys haven't tried an agile yet. they're pretty decent.

Agile are maybe one step above an Epi. It was a LP copy.

I haven't played on a Taylor yet, or an old Martin (just the new Martin guitars)... I like Guild, I have played on and wished I bought one but didn't pull the trigger on Reverb and it sold Guild, to be honest, Guild are on my shopping list of guitars I want.

That said; I haven't played on a Taylor yet and I hear they're really nice too.

rct

Jacksons are fun, but it's a trade-off: you get a shred-friendly/thrash metal rhythm guitar-friendly guitar, but what the sound has in incisiveness, it tends to lack in depth. Just my experience. Gibsons they aren't, tone-wise. But they do their own thing.

They're manufactured by Fender these days, and the decent ones are around $1k. The next step up, for the made in USA ones... They're three times that or more.

IMPORTANT, LWAG:

Just had to check, knowing it's easy to overlook:

Note the position of the vol pot. You'll be touching it all the time. This is why I can't stand most Jackson Dinkys, for instance. It's in the way to me, and just ruins it. Be aware of that.

If you Google it you'll find lots of frustrated people saying the same thing.

For 17 years I gigged a MIJ Jackson Soloist exclusively (electric). That was a LOT of playing. I still have it, and it remains the best build quality of any of my guitars to this day.

I have never played any Duesenbergs. I would love to try the Multibender version of their Dragster.

70983-tmpDE71.jpg?w=680&h=680&fit=fill&bg=FFFFFF&auto=compress&auto=format

I'd like to try a Fibonacci sometime too

Fibonacci-Diablo_1.jpg?1526398897

Seems like a short list of what you will play. Gibson, Martin? Taylor? Fender Strat?

Theres a lot I will try, Just can't afford so don't, I can't afford a Martin or a Taylor either but just had to see how they played. Same with the Strat I wanted to play at the store. I have a Gibson, 2 Epiphones, a Gretsch, Yamaha, Squire Jag and a Ovation.

I noticed on the last post C's popping up everywhere. Yesterday that occurred on all my posts and no matter how much I deleted them they kept popping back. So what's up with that?msp_confused.gif

I have owned, played, strummed, stroked, and tried-out many dozens of guitars over the years.

But the models that I can recollect never having played (but would like to try) are:

Taylor

PRS

Deusenberg

and Vox.

[mellow]

I haven't played on a Taylor yet, or an old Martin (just the new Martin guitars)... I like Guild, I have played on and wished I bought one but didn't pull the trigger on Reverb and it sold Guild, to be honest, Guild are on my shopping list of guitars I want.

That said; I haven't played on a Taylor yet and I hear they're really nice too.

I like Taylors a lot.....started with a 300 series 12 string then got a 200 series nylon stringer and added in a T5....

They don't suit everybody, but are very popular on the open mic and general acoustic circuit......[thumbup]

Also got a Guild F-130R.....low end MIC but superb VFM and sounds.....

V

:-({|=

I have owned, played, strummed, stroked, and tried-out many dozens of guitars over the years.

But the models that I can recollect never having played (but would like to try) are:

Taylor

PRS

Deusenberg

and Vox.

[mellow]

Have you tried a Carvin? Thats hard for me since their based in California I think? msp_confused.gif

Archived