Gibson Brands Forums

Slash to buy BC Rich?

Rabs

yeah, you gotta be almost 14 minutes in before he really says anything. it's all speculation and rumor, and he doesn't say much about it.

BUT

i do find the idea to be very intriguing. it's definitely a fun idea to think about, to kick around and say "what if..."

there are 2 bc rich guitars i want. a 10 string bich, and a mockingbird. i've had 2 mockingbirds already, and loved both of them. one was an nj series, and it was a great guitar, i played the living daylights out of that guitar. i don't even think i paid money for it, i think i bought it for a sack of weed back in the early 90s.

if slash were to buy the company, i would definitely be watching them in anticipation of possibly making a purchase. who knows? lots of folks who go into business want to come out with a bang. maybe he might do something interesting.

[thumbup]

edit: the first time i posted, i used a "t" in the word bich, and the editor turned it into asterix. that's a little sensitive. i understand not allowing the ef word, or specific slurs. but that word?

I used BCRich and Rico guitars when BCRich was BCRich and Rico was Bernie Rico's less expensive version. Joe Perry, so, we had to. If I had all the guitars I wanted, there would be two BCRichs from back then.

rct

Really? I thought B.C. Rich just got bought out by some company a year or two ago? Interesting. Part of me does think it's cool. But, I honestly think that this is just a rumor. The first thing that came to my head when I seen this was the whole rumor about Joe Bonamassa buying Gibson awhile back.

• 3 weeks later...

I remember talk of Mustaine buying at least a sizeable share of Jackson. Apparently, he fell out with them something fierce and signed with ESP, while still recording with his old signature Jackson, because he liked utseende sound better. He just neglected to tell anyone, the Jackson folks in particular. Likely more out of spite than anything else.

That's the story I heard, anyway. I can almost guarantee the details are sketchy at the very least, when it comes to veracity. But hell hath no fury like a Dave Mustaine scorned, so I wouldn't be surprised if there's a kernel of truth there.

...But hell hath no fury like a Dave Mustaine scorned, so I wouldn't be surprised if there's a kernel of truth there.

Indeed. Just look at the suffering of Metallica over the last 35 years since they fired him.

rct

Usually I would rather listen to Mega than 'Tallica. Ride, Master and Justice are all rock solid. I was a dumb E-3 in Great Lakes going to A School. The One video came out the night when I was living better though chemicals. That night in the barracks on duty was a blast. It think I also saw The Cult - Fire Woman video.

Once you get used to Dave's snarly vocals it gets better. But every other line James says Hey Yeah Yeah.

Back to BC Rich. My hero Rick Derringer played a Mockingbird. I wore out Derrringer Live on vinyl.

... Just look at the suffering of Metallica over the last 35 years since they fired him ...

I just read Mustaine's book which was very good, by the way. The best thing that happened to Mustaine was that he was fired by Metallica for two reasons:

1) It set a fire of revenge in him that - I believe - was the initial source of his creativity and became the foundation of his greatness/success.

2) With James/Lars being as prolific writers that they are, there would not be room for "another" huge musical vision within the context of Metallica.

To me, Megadeth hit a higher "peak" of best overall work when comparing Megadeth and Metallica (that being Megadeth's "Countdown to Extinction", "Youthanasia", and "Cryptic Writings"). HOWEVER ... when comparing the entire lifespans of the bands, Metallica was FAR more consistent than Megadeth, putting out much higher quality material in the band's early days and also recently (2000+). That is my opinion ....

I just read Mustaine's book which was very good, by the way. The best thing that happened to Mustaine was that he was fired by Metallica for two reasons:

1) It set a fire of revenge in him that - I believe - was the initial source of his creativity and became the foundation of his greatness/success.

2) With James/Lars being as prolific writers that they are, there would not be room for "another" huge musical vision within the context of Metallica.

To me, Megadeth hit a higher "peak" of best overall work when comparing Megadeth and Metallica (that being Megadeth's "Countdown to Extinction", "Youthanasia", and "Cryptic Writings"). HOWEVER ... when comparing the entire lifespans of the bands, Metallica was FAR more consistent than Megadeth, putting out much higher quality material in the band's early days and also recently (2000+). That is my opinion ....

After And Justice... Metallica started their descent at least for me. People love The Black Album. It bores me. Then they became Altallica for a while cause ya know it was the 90's and Alt and Grunge were the flavor of the decade. Then they put out St. Garbage. What a turd that was.

I hated St Anger with a passion, and I dislike the last album even more. Note that I said disliked and not hated, because to me, it's just SO FOOKING BLAND.

If you ask me, the last REALLY good Metallica song was "No leaf clover", on "S & M". Better than anything on the black album, if you ask me.

These are minor thingamabobrocks, though. I agree with pretty much every thing you said.

I mean, I know for a fact that Mustaine was chasing The Tallica Tail with "Risk", but I don't believe "Countdown" and "Youthanasia", were counscious efforts to "go Metallica". You obviously know your Megadeth. I look at "Countdown" as a precursor, yes, but, in my opinion, "Countdown" was a dry run for "Youthanasia". Like a super good pre-peoduction demo.

But. "Youthanasia" was released in 1994, if I remember correctly. It was a very weird period for metal. I too have read Dave's book (I recommend it to any and every one. Yes, him and Junior were heroin addicts. Yes, Mustaine only shot up four times (according to him). He didn't write a whole book about it. "The dirt" is excellent if you want vicarious danger, but Mustaine's book focuses on the music.

And vicarious guitar teachers (ended up being Jeff Young). I literally had to buy a new keyboard. I laughed so hard, I'm afraid the burger married my keyboard like Mustaine married Pam.

Got a text the other day. "Have you heard Electra Mustaine's cover of 'I thought I knew it all'? She's hot."

Pinch: "1) It's not a cover. She recycled the lyrics.

2) She's no better or worse than most young chicks with access to great studio equipment, and while I applaud Dave moving house to Nashville to further her singing career, it's just... not gonna happen.

3) Hot, well... I've been such a fan of Dave's playing for so long - and Dave has never been shy about flaunting his personal life in the media - that it's like the super hot cousin you see every ten years. You can APPRECIATE it, but you don't get a boner.

Not to go all fan-fic, but imagine waking up on the Mustaine ranch with Electra Mustaine. All that Megadeth wine. You'd wake up, hung the F over. Everyone else is asleep. Clock says 04:50.

And you know what you would have to do: suffer in silence for hours. Even if Pam and Electra were awake, you'd just have to feign sleep until you're prodded by Dave...

... Just so you could say "what, no warning? No second chance?"

I mean, seriously. You'd HAVE to do it.

Not to go all fan-fic, but imagine waking up on the Mustaine ranch with Electra Mustaine. All that Megadeth wine. You'd wake up, hung the F over. Everyone else is asleep. Clock says 04:50.

And you know what you would have to do: suffer in silence for hours. Even if Pam and Electra were awake, you'd just have to feign sleep until you're prodded by Dave...

... Just so you could say "what, no warning? No second chance?"

I mean, seriously. You'd HAVE to do it.

You know if you wake them you'll Wake Up Dead.

After And Justice... Metallica started their descent at least for me. People love The Black Album. It bores me. Then they became Altallica for a while cause ya know it was the 90's and Alt and Grunge were the flavor of the decade. Then they put out St. Garbage. What a turd that was.

I prefer St Anger to the new one. The new one's so bland, it never even upset me.

But... Yeah. The black album hasn't aged as well as its predecessors.

I saw them live on that tour though, and I had a seat. You know that whole triangle thing, and where you're supposed to sit in relation to the monitors when you're mixing? It was kind of like that, but with 50 000 people.

Believe you me, it sounded unbelievable.

I prefer St Anger to the new one. The new one's so bland, it never even upset me.

But... Yeah. The black album hasn't aged as well as its predecessors.

I saw them live on that tour though, and I had a seat. You know that whole triangle thing, and where you're supposed to sit in relation to the monitors when you're mixing? It was kind of like that, but with 50 000 people.

Believe you me, it sounded unbelievable.

I was stationed in Hawaii when I saw Tallica tour The Black Album. Loudest concert I ever went to. That was time #1. Time #2 was last summer in Seattle when I was visiting family with my wife and her son. I did not really want to go but my wife, her son, her uncle and his girlfriend were all going, so I went too. Wow, I saw Tallica again. The old songs were okay. but if it was recorded after the Black Album I did not know or care about those song. After the show all them members thanks the audience individually and talked. Lars of course was of course the huge D-bag his is. He had to run his mouth about how when they first played Seattle probably 3 of the people in this audience was there and we have been here a zillion times now and we have played every stadium around. I heard that day around town in Seattle Lars was running his mouth and some guy punched him.

I heard that day around town in Seattle Lars was running his mouth and some guy punched him.

they should build a statue of that guy in a local park.

i can picture the scene...

"daddy, who is that statue over by the fountain?"

well son, that's the hero who punched lars in the mouth, the one they talk about in history class.

"gee dad, that guy was the coolest!!!"

yes he was, son, yes he was...

they should build a statue of that guy in a local park.

i can picture the scene...

"daddy, who is that statue over by the fountain?"

well son, that's the hero who punched lars in the mouth, the one they talk about in history class.

"gee dad, that guy was the coolest!!!"

yes he was, son, yes he was...

When I watched Some Kind Of Monster I though to myself is this the way Tallica wants to be portrayed? As whinny b-i-itch's. Since that day watching that I now loath Tallica. And usually I put what that Brits call a smoke in their country in front of Tallica when I say their name out loud.

Archived