Gibson Brands Forums

my old case

This is the old Fender case I have used since 1970. It dates from 50s/60s. It was already pretty beat up when I got it, with frayed stitching, worn leather and corroded latches. It originally carried my Strat, then a Jackson (neck support augmented with pipe lagging) and now a custom build Strat again.

I added an embossed brass name plate to it at around 1980. Its traveled a few thousand miles with me and protected the guitars perfectly for close on to 50 years.

R5Qlo2E.jpg

Couldn’t be 50s could it? When did they start using the black tolex, ‘64?

Sweet looking case. I have the modern version of that case (still made by the same company but probably not as nice)

Sounds as if you know more than I do! Thanks for the info. :)

Looks as if the original owner(s) put in a LOT of road wear in a few years then.

Sounds as if you know more than I do! Thanks for the info. :)

Looks as if the original owner(s) put in a LOT of road wear in a few years then.

Nah I don’t know much but I think the black tolex and amp logo date it to ‘64 at the very earliest although I could be wrong!

My guess is that the earlier ones were tweed or brown, basically using the same materials as the amps that were available at the same time. I don’t think they used that logo prior to the Deluxe Reverb and Twin Reverb

Just shows that something well made, is made to last.

I have a few of those injection molded cases which should go on for eternity, although are less cool looking than yours. They've put more damage on to my car than they've taken on themselves msp_biggrin.gif

This is the old Fender case I have used since 1970. It dates from 50s/60s. It was already pretty beat up when I got it, with frayed stitching, worn leather and corroded latches. It originally carried my Strat, then a Jackson (neck support augmented with pipe lagging) and now a custom build Strat again.

I added an embossed brass name plate to it at around 1980. Its traveled a few thousand miles with me and protected the guitars perfectly for close on to 50 years.

R5Qlo2E.jpg

Nice Rudi.

Just shows that something well made, is made to last.

I have a few of those injection molded cases which should go on for eternity, although are less cool looking than yours. They've put more damage on to my car than they've taken on themselves msp_biggrin.gif

You must be the only person who likes those! Mine are falling apart left and right

Archived