Gibson Brands Forums

Favorite mics for guitar

Dub-T-123

I’ve been buying microphones for my studio the past few months and I’m curious what you guys are using/enjoying

I feel that I could blather on and on about what I’ve tried and what I like/don’t like about it but I’m more curious what others think.

What I’ve got going right now that I’m super happy with: Neumann KM184 on my Martin nylon string. When I listen to that it sounds like I am sitting right in front of the guitar. It captures such a realistic, sweet sounding image of my acoustic, I am beyond thrilled with that setup

What I am not stoked with: Sennheiser e609 on my Twin Reverb. I feel like I want a ribbon and/or LDC there to capture a smoother, more realistic sound from my amp

Any of you guys find that elusive magic combo?

I have, for many years, mic'ed my amps with the Shure SM57, though I am finding the EV Cobalt Co4 produces similar quality sound to the audience.

The EV Cobalt Co9 sounds really nice on occasions I am forced to play an acoustic in front of a mic stand.

And I have also been happy with the standard Shure SM58 vocal mic, and/or the same Sennheiser model listed above.

[tongue]

We’ve got the SM57 of course. Used to have like four of them but my drummer lost all but one somehow (drummers....)

For guitar the single SM57 is not my favorite, but I learned a classic technique is to mix it with a flatter or darker mic to add presence without using EQ. I like the freq response of the e609 better for my Twin, but ironically probably find the SM57 a little more useful in the sense that it can be a bright mic in a 2 mic setup.

Since we’ve only got one 57 at the moment it’s on the side of the snare where it’s seeming most useful to me at the moment. Thinking about trying out the Audix i5 which is in the same ballpark as the 57 but supposed to be a bit smoother and less peaky. Just missed one for $45 on eBay the other day

Thinking about trying out the Audix i5 which is in the same ballpark as the 57 but supposed to be a bit smoother and less peaky. Just missed one for $45 on eBay the other day

I have one of those. It's not terribly different from the SM57 but it's my go to mic now because I think it makes my rhythm guitar sound a bit 'chunkier.'

It's all personal preference, but if you can find another one for under $50 bucks, definitely get it. I haven't used it much for acoustic, but from what I remember, I was pleased with the sound.

I only have the SM57 and e609, I like the SM57 about 6" from the cab and the e609 right against the cab.

I also have an MXL ribbon that I have used occasionally as a 3rd mic but place it further away.

What is mic'ing amps and, what would I need to do it?

I have a Stagg Professional Dynamic Microphone SDM50, a Studiomaster Drive12A PA, an Ashton Microphone stand...

I haven't got the best, in fact, when shopping for it all, I asked for ENTRY LEVEL stuff, just because I bought it to learn how to sing and play on/have a microphone & PA box basic setup.

I'm now waiting for an amplifier powerful enough to really drive my Heil Talk Box HT-1 by Dunlop before I could have some talk box fun with it though.

I have one of those. It's not terribly different from the SM57 but it's my go to mic now because I think it makes my rhythm guitar sound a bit 'chunkier.'

It's all personal preference, but if you can find another one for under $50 bucks, definitely get it. I haven't used it much for acoustic, but from what I remember, I was pleased with the sound.

Hey deeman. Yeah I’m trying to get one for around $50. Have you ever tried any two mic setups on your guitar?

I only have the SM57 and e609, I like the SM57 about 6" from the cab and the e609 right against the cab.

I also have an MXL ribbon that I have used occasionally as a 3rd mic but place it further away.

What I don’t like about the e609 is that my Twin sounds very smooth in person, and the 609 makes it sound “grainy” on the recording. Otherwise it’s great and I love the ability to hang it over the cab by the cable. I’ve tried moving it back, off axis, etc to alleviate the graininess to no avail. Seems to do the same thing to my Twin or 5e3 so it’s got me looking to change it.

I have two cheap ribbons as well. They do sound best further away to me too because of the strong proximity effect from the figure 8. I really like them when I want a rolled off top end and the null on the sides is really strong so that’s pretty useful too.

What is mic'ing amps and, what would I need to do it?

I have a Stagg Professional Dynamic Microphone SDM50, a Studiomaster Drive12A PA, an Ashton Microphone stand...

I haven't got the best, in fact, when shopping for it all, I asked for ENTRY LEVEL stuff, just because I bought it to learn how to sing and play on/have a microphone & PA box basic setup.

I'm now waiting for an amplifier powerful enough to really drive my Heil Talk Box HT-1 by Dunlop before I could have some talk box fun with it though.

In this case I’m really just talking about plugging the mic into a preamp/interface for recording. With the talk box you mic your mouth which goes through a PA or into a recording interface

Funnily enough I still have 4 good mics:

AKG 3000

Pair of AKG D190s

Shure SM58

I don't use 'em now, should probably sell...but you never know.

Any of those does a good job on a guitar cab.

It all depends on the placement. [thumbup]

Hey deeman. Yeah Im trying to get one for around $50. Have you ever tried any two mic setups on your guitar?

Hey, I've done some 2 mic setups. When I did it, it was the sm57 or i5 right up against the cloth just off center of the center of the speaker and a condenser mic (we had a dragonfly, some MXL model I can't remember, and some audiotechnica model) about a foot or two away from the amp (after playing around with placement for a while). Usually I'd just go with the one mic 57 or i5 and I'd double the part.

It is fun playing with the two mics and their mix levels and placements. That could last you an afternoon for sure.

Funnily enough I still have 4 good mics:

AKG 3000

Pair of AKG D190s

Shure SM58

I don't use 'em now, should probably sell...but you never know.

Any of those does a good job on a guitar cab.

It all depends on the placement. [thumbup]

Placement is definitely key!! The type of mic makes a HUGE (yuge) difference too.

Hey, I've done some 2 mic setups. When I did it, it was the sm57 or i5 right up against the cloth just off center of the center of the speaker and a condenser mic (we had a dragonfly, some MXL model I can't remember, and some audiotechnica model) about a foot or two away from the amp (after playing around with placement for a while). Usually I'd just go with the one mic 57 or i5 and I'd double the part.

It is fun playing with the two mics and their mix levels and placements. That could last you an afternoon for sure.

Oh man I feel like I’ve spent a lot more than an afternoon on this already! The funny thing is I’ve spent probably way over 10 times the time and money on mic’ing the drums.

I’ll post some clips sometime soon, thanks for sharing!

Have used SM57's for years, but recently bought an Audix i5 and was blown away. GREAT guitar mic for the money!

NHTom

Nice! Glad to hear a few guys here are enjoying these!

I held out for a deal and got an Audix i5 for $45. I’ve been running it through the gauntlet with different positions on the 5e3.

I don’t want to give it a “review” after only trying it with one amp and no drums or anything but I haven’t noticed anything bad about it so far. Seems like a pretty great mic

Archived