Gibson Brands Forums

I just bought the Anti-Gibson!

ksdaddy

Well, not really, but it got your attention.

The Academy

When Ovation brought out the Applause line in 1976 they had laminated tops and aluminum/urethane necks. The Academy took it one step further with a top made from 100% plastic, braces and all. The top is made from Kamonic (trade name). The only wood on it is the bridge and I won't even be sure of that until I see it. It was to be marketed to the beginner, price wise.... think LG0 or Melody Maker. Obviously nobody bought them; I didn't even know of their existence until a year ago. Some of them had wooden slot head necks but this one is all Loonium.

And you guys KNOW me. All it takes is for me to think nobody else wants something and that will make me pull the trigger 90% of the time.

Minor ironic twist, the girl is originally from a town 12 miles from here, the one I where I work, and she bought it there (used) in 1984 and ultimately took it to FL. Now it's coming back to Maine so in a small sense, it's coming home.

Mario Maccaferri would be proud.

Don't let the scoffers get you down--I say "Well Done, Lad!!"

How could anyone resist advertising that includes the "copy of an Ovation" descriptive phrase?!?! I swear, people will say anything to get you to buy their stuff.

Can't help with the snow. We're in the 50's again, and dealing with all that spring yard work.

My friend says you can actually use the back for chips and dip when it's guitar days are over.....but that will probably be a LOOOOOOONGG time away KS. Congradulations on your new purchase, right up there with that Garrison guitar truss you have hanging on the wall.....lol.....have fun with it.....

I got some left over woodgrane shelf paper that'd help dress up the fingerboard if'n you're interested..

Better yet, get a can of that rubber bumper restorer from the autoparts store. A few good, thick coats of that sprayed all over will have that baby looking brand new in no time.

Oh, and so none of us are accused of having no Gibson forum spirit, or of bashing any *sniff* non-Gibsons (you can't see me but I'm turning up my nose AND making a face), allow me, on behalf of all of the members, to HEARTILY CONGRATULATE YOU on the achievement of obtaining such a wonderous instrument. We are all VERY HAPPY FOR YOU and don't think you are even the least bit insane, or suffering ill effects from havng been snowbound.

Red 333

I’m new here . . . and so sure, the novelty hasn’t worn off. Just had to say that already I am partial to some of the good-natured, well-spoken, Gibson owners represented here (in general) and within this very thread (in particular!)

Particularly enjoy reading what “Taylor Player” -- Paul of Minneapolis -- has to say to us (and not just ‘cause he was the first to welcome me here -- and can commiserate, about living in the world’s coldest “and second-coldest” major cities (Winnipeg & Minneapolis are several hours driving distance from each other; “You think THIS is cold, Paul? Puh-shah!! You young people don’t know what cold is. Why in my day . . . ]

Paul wrote a beautiful post (elsewhere recently) about the joys of having such a ‘Gibson-approved’ Forum. I especially appreciated his gentle observation that:

“I love this little group and would hate to see anyone leave or say something they would regret . . . Haven't we all at one time or another said something to someone we wish we could have taken back? I know I have . . . ”

“I know this isn't a family,” wrote Paul, “[but] we are starting to act like one, with the name calling and slams against what I am sure are perfectly nice people who I would enjoy sitting down and having a beer, playing some guitar and conversing with, if we ever met face-to-face.

“I usually come here to learn, get a laugh and talk about things I love, Guitars, music our kids playing guitars or singing etc. Let's just try to give it some time for adjustment and keep on having great talks about some of our favorite things.”

I’ll drink to that, Paul. On this thread, (started by my new favorite writer here) I loved your appreciation (above) of KSDaddy’s new Ovation (the “anti-Gibson”) and its best possible uses:

“. . . when you’re not playing it, you can keep it in the trunk of your car and use it to shovel out stuff, paddle a canoe, impromptu salad or chip bowl... the number of uses makes my head spin!!!”

Followed by “AlbertJohn” (John Albert?) – the observation that this Ovation,

“I believe this model is dishwasher and microwave safe.” (Good to know!)

Did I mention that I think Scott W. Englund of Caribou Maine (I thought only Canada had place-names like that!) – that Scott is not merely the world’s best-spoken soil conservation technician; he is one of the funniest, most insightful writers I have ever read (having read his remarkable website ‘end-to-end’ last night).

Your careful ‘restoration’ of a single pencil (loved the paint job) will stay with me, Scott. That, and your restoration of that ancient fiberglass boat with “tail fins” that no one else in this world (I’m pretty certain) would have taken on. Your descriptions are priceless. Can’t wait for you to post the final chapter (this Spring?)

Yes, this site, like the Universe itself, is “unfolding” as it should -- before my delighted eyes. (So glad I finally bought myself a Gibson!)

Mark Blackburn

Winnipeg Manitoba Canada

p.s. Oh yes and I love that photo (hope it's up there as your 'avatar' for a little while). One well-fed, gray cat and one hungry brown squirrel; on opposite sides of a window, checking each other out. Great pic, ksdaddy!

ksdaddy,

My first guitar was an Applause and I still have it. It really isn't a bad guitar and since it was basically "My First" ...I learned Mississippi John Hurt "Stack'O Lee" on it.....I am not sure I could let her go. In fact I just took her out of the closet and was gonna put some fresh strings on and take it to work to keep behind my desk for the few minutes here and there were I might get a chance to break away from paperwork and play a song or two.

Although I will spin my head around to check out a beauty queen....I still have a soft spot in my heart for the awkward shy girl too.

Oh man, come on guys! I have a Ovation Custom Balladier and I think it is a killer guitar. Has anyone here ever owned a top end Ovation? I did'n think so. Give it a try sometime, every guitar has its place for different types of music. That's my two cents worth, and I'm stickin' to it!.....Mike

I've had them all over the place actually. A few years back I had a 1990 Custom Legend 1719 in sunburst that was one serious guitar. Les Paul action, loud and bright and balaced, on-board electronics, the whole deal. I just dumped it when I was liquidating to buy a J200. Since then I've had a few Balladeers and Applauses. I still have one 70s Applause I rebuilt from junk ($12 on ebay) and I recently bought a 1969 1115 12 string (currently on the bench with the top crack healing). Like any brand, they defy logic. Some of the cheap ones are killers and some of the top ones are duds.

I was once hired to backup a really good singer, who wasn't much of a player. This guy wanted to be a "star" (hence, he eventually and rightly saw me as an impediment to that end) . He had a top of the line Ovation that he let me use. That thing was so easy to play, and actually sounded pretty good through the PA.

One of my buddies had an acoustic Ovation. He---believe it or not----traded a D-18 to get it (I'll never let him forget that, btw)....at any rate, one day he was becoming more and more frustrated with it, and finally chucked it at the 'fridge......nothing happened to it. It was fine afterwards....still sounded pretty bad, but it was useable.

I've had my ovation for over 25 years. I still hate the back, don't like how you can hardly feel the acoustics thru the backand rarely play it, but I have nothing but respect for the workmanship. The machine heads are top shelf, the neck has been one of my favorite to play on and they really do throw the sound, something you can't tell by playing it; it was only after listening to my dad play it that I heard how well it projects. I added a barcus barry pickup that I think sounds better, but even the standard electrics are fine, aside from the craptastic battery location. And, as mentioned, the case is bullet proof, I think you got a great deal, enjoy it.

Archived