Gibson Brands Forums

England

Tman

Rabs I’m sorry to tell you man but they’ve been selling deep fried sticks of butter and all kinds of other weird disgusting **** for years over here.

Ha.. How very Homer Simpson.. Really, deep fried butter sticks... arggggghhhh!!!!

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would be stoked to find out that’s actually Scottish though!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deep-fried_Mars_bar

A deep-fried Mars bar is an ordinary Mars bar normally fried in a type of batter commonly used for deep-frying fish, sausages, and other battered products. The chocolate bar is typically chilled before battering to prevent it from melting into the frying fat, despite a cold Mars bar being able to fracture when heated.

The dish originated at chip shops in Scotland as a novelty item, but was never mainstream. Since various mass media began reporting on the practice in the mid-1990s, in part as a commentary on urban Scotland's notoriously unhealthy diet,[1] the popularity of the dish has spread. The product has not received support from Mars, Inc who said "deep-frying one of our products would go against our commitment to promoting healthy, active lifestyles."[2]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deep-fried_Mars_bar

A deep-fried Mars bar is an ordinary Mars bar normally fried in a type of batter commonly used for deep-frying fish, sausages, and other battered products. The chocolate bar is typically chilled before battering to prevent it from melting into the frying fat, despite a cold Mars bar being able to fracture when heated.

The dish originated at chip shops in Scotland as a novelty item, but was never mainstream. Since various mass media began reporting on the practice in the mid-1990s, in part as a commentary on urban Scotland's notoriously unhealthy diet,[1] the popularity of the dish has spread. The product has not received support from Mars, Inc who said "deep-frying one of our products would go against our commitment to promoting healthy, active lifestyles."[2]

Rabs you just lifted such a burden off of our country’s shoulders! Now I know who to blame, it’s all Scotland and Mexico’s fault!!

Edit I do LOVE the quote from Mars Bars at the end!!!!

Heresy.

The stuff inside a decent haggis is 100x higher quality in every way imaginable than the utter crap you will find in 99.9999% (recurring) of the world's hot dogs.

With all due respect, LPTPII, you clearly don't really understand what a haggis is nor, obviously, how they taste.

Do you eat liver? Do you eat kidney? Do you eat pulses such as barley and oats? Do you like spices? Herbs? Pepper and Salt Seasoning? If so then you will LOVE haggis.

If you ever make it over here then please get in touch and I promise to serve you a haggis dinner which would absolutely transform your opinion and make a convert out of you.

msp_smile.gif

Pip.

Man O Man that is not making my mouth water. My daughter went to Scotland and England a few years back to put on a play at a festival in Edinburgh. She actually at it and liked it and my daughter is 20 and veggies are not going near her mouth. Except Brussel Sprouts. She loves those vile things. She definitely has 23 of my chromosomes.

Rabs you just lifted such a burden off of our country’s shoulders! Now I know who to blame, it’s all Scotland and Mexico’s fault!!

Edit I do LOVE the quote from Mars Bars at the end!!!!

Ha yeah.. Like a sugar filled chocolate coated bar is somehow better :)

Deep fried haggis anyone?

Deep fried haggis (haggis in a savoury batter) is a Scottish chip-shop favourite and has been since well before I was born - which was quite some time ago!

Scottish chip-shops of the '70s perpetrated some truly heinous crimes in the persuance of 'Haute-Cuisine'. Deep-fried Pizza was one. A regular factory-produced pizza was simply tossed into the deep-fat-fryer. As the dough absorbed the fat the pizza would sink to the bottom of the vat. Once 'cooked', however, it floated back to the surface. In this manner the "chef" could tell that the pizza was ready to be served...

It should come as no surprise to learn that the men-folk of Glasgow had, at the age of 58, the shortest life-expectancy in western Europe.

One curious aspect where Scottish chip-shops differed from their English counterparts when I was growing up is that instead of being asked 'Salt and Vinegar?' the staple condiments on offer were 'Salt and Sauce?' and the sauce of choice was always Brown sauce - such as HP - and never ketchup. These things have probably changed by now I imagine.

Pip.

EDIT : As far as the Deep-Fried Mars Bar is concerned;

On the only occasion I've ever seen it offered in a restaurant(!) the batter used was of the sweet variety such as would be found in various Chinese dishes and not the savoury 'Fish'n'chips' sort. Unfortunately curiosity got the better of me so I ordered the dish. It was so foul as to be practically inedible.

Deep fried haggis (haggis in a savoury batter) is a Scottish chip-shop favourite and has been since well before I was born - which was quite some time ago!

Scottish chip-shops of the '70s perpetrated some truly heinous crimes in the persuance of 'Haute-Cuisine'. Deep-fried Pizza was one. A regular factory-produced pizza was simply tossed into the deep-fat-fryer. As the dough absorbed the fat the pizza would sink to the bottom of the vat. Once 'cooked', however, it floated back to the surface. In this manner the "chef" could tell that the pizza was ready to be served...

It should come as no surprise to learn that the men-folk of Glasgow had, at the age of 58, the shortest life-expectancy in western Europe.

One curious aspect where Scottish chip-shops differed from their English counterparts when I was growing up is that instead of being asked 'Salt and Vinegar?' the staple condiments on offer were 'Salt and Sauce?' and the sauce of choice was always Brown sauce - such as HP - and never ketchup. These things have probably changed by now I imagine.

Pip.

EDIT : As far as the Deep-Fried Mars Bar is concerned;

On the only occasion I've ever seen it offered in a restaurant(!) the batter used was of the sweet variety such as would be found in various Chinese dishes and not the savoury 'Fish'n'chips' sort. Unfortunately curiosity got the better of me so I ordered the dish. It was so foul as to be practically inedible.

I went to Spain around '08 and while there went to Gibraltar. Tried the Brown Sauce that was on table with the condiments. And Brown Sauce is definitely the best way to describe it. Kind of like the Brown Note.

msp_laugh.gif

Ah, the banqueting table laden with the finest epicurean delights to be discovered from within this sceptred isle wouldn't seem to be able to excite your tastebuds, LPTPII!

Pip.

I want to come to the UK and eat the food. I want real Fish and Chips served in newspaper. And another thing do you guys put spotted d-ick in your mouth? The only time I've ever had any sort of almost real British Food is when I went to Gibraltar and Hong Kong before your guys gave it back.

I want to come to the UK and eat the food. I want real Fish and Chips served in newspaper.....and do you guys put spotted d-ick in your mouth?...

Alas and alack, LPTPII, that first-named particular tasty treat is no longer permissible in these Health & Safety gone mad conscious days.

A ban on chip-shops serving food in 'real' newspaper came into force decades ago although some chippies now use special hygenic wrapping paper with faux 'News' printed on it in an attempt to retain something of the majesty of the effect.

Spotted Richard? It is, in its essence, much the same as a traditional British Xmas Pudding; Suet, Dried Fruit, Raisins etc...

FWIW I have the very same 'affection' for this dessert as you reserve for the Haggis - so to answer your question from a purely personal perspective the answer is a resounding "NAY!!!"

msp_biggrin.gif

Pip.

Alas and alack, LPTPII, that first-named particular tasty treat is no longer permissible in these Health & Safety gone mad conscious days.

A ban on chip-shops serving food in 'real' newspaper came into force decades ago although some chippies now use special hygenic wrapping paper with faux 'News' printed on it in an attempt to retain something of the majesty of the effect.

Spotted Richard? It is, in its essence, much the same as a traditional British Xmas Pudding; Suet, Dried Fruit, Raisins etc...

FWIW I have the very same 'affection' for this dessert as you reserve for the Haggis - so to answer your question from a purely personal perspective the answer is a resounding "NAY!!!"

msp_biggrin.gif

Pip.

Ja

I actually tried it - just before the ban, I think. I have to say I never understood the appeal of a greasy newspaper with dinner. Still like fish and chips, though, even today! Food culture snobs sneer "think about it - how often have you ordered fish and chips when you weren't on holiday in the UK?" Uh... Lots of times!

A lot of good Indian food in the UK, too.

I had no idea there was liver and kidney in haggis. Knew about the sheep's stomach. Have tried it and loved it. Felt like the thing to do when I was in Scotland. Glad you had a good time!

Ingredients for haggis vary from one butcher to the next but essentially - and traditionally - the main parts are simply sheep's "pluck" (i.e. offal of pretty much any type), cereal such as barley etc., diced onion, herbs, spices and seasoning. The part played by the sheep's stomach was solely as a 'wrapper' to hold the minced mixture together whilst the haggis was cooking. The stomach is NEVER eaten. In the old days the offal was typically heart, lungs and liver but nowadays other cuts are substituted due to some lily-livered (pun) squeamishness about the original ingredients.

The origins of the dish are lost in the mists of time (both Romans and Greeks had similar fare two millennia ago) but in Scotland it was the meal for a shepherd prepared in advance for a long day's herding. It used all the non-commercially valuable parts of the sheep (from point of view of a butcher) and therefore could almost be regarded as a free meal.

Pip.

Haggis is quite good and at least you know what's gone into it. Far better than a lot of Supermarket sausages etc. There known as BITS sausage around where I live, Brains, Intestine, T*t's and Sh*t. It constantly surprises me that so few people don't give much thought about what go's into factory manufactured foods.

Ian

For the Brits in this thread, can I just say that the lidl deluxe salt and vinegar flavour crisps are as close to the taste of fish and chips as you can get without having the real thing

I figured out the free meal part. Well, maybe there was no liver in the haggis I had, because it didn't taste like liver. I can't eat liver...

Bet this thread has all the haggis virgins just dying to try it :D

But the haggis I had was actually really good.

...It constantly surprises me that so few people don't give much thought about what go's into factory manufactured foods...

I couldn't agree more. Absolutely bewildering.

We're pretty lucky in that both my wife and I love to cook so pretty much everything we eat is made from the raw ingredients.

I understand that not everyone thinks they have the luxury of spending much time cooking but, seriously; how long does it take to whizz-up a home-made pasta sauce for instance? 10 mins? Start on the sauce when the pasta goes into the pot and it's ready at the same time as the pasta is ready to serve.

Fed up (pun) with no longer being able to buy our preferred brand of whole-grain mustard I looked up a recipe online and guess what? it's really REALLY easy! Brown and yellow mustard seeds; Ale; Malt Vinegar; Sea-salt; Honey. That's it. I made half-a-kilo of the stuff on Saturday and - even if I do say so myself - it's superb.

Pip.

Haggis is quite good and at least you know what's gone into it. Far better than a lot of Supermarket sausages etc. There known as BITS sausage around where I live, Brains, Intestine, T*t's and Sh*t. It constantly surprises me that so few people don't give much thought about what go's into factory manufactured foods.

Ian

I couldn't agree more!

Personally, I don't eat meat unless I know it has no nervous system tissue in it. That Creuezfeld stuff is not my idea of a good time. (Contrary to popular opinion, no, it's not safe if it's cooked. You could literally turn it into charcoal, and it would still be infectious.)

For the Brits in this thread, can I just say that the lidl deluxe salt and vinegar flavour crisps are as close to the taste of fish and chips as you can get without having the real thing

My girlfriend sent me a list of British “crisp flavors” that people were petitioning to bring back and it was truly bizarre to an American :0

My girlfriend sent me a list of British “crisp flavors” that people were petitioning to bring back and it was truly bizarre to an American :0

I'm assuming they'd baffle most Europeans as well. I'm guessing something akin to "Shrimp and Nicotine Resin Flavour" ;)

Archived