Gibson Brands Forums

Removing Gforce tuners

newfiesig

I read a lot of contradictory posts on removing gforce tuners from Les Pauls.

Has anyone actually done this? Did holes have to be drilled for the new tuners?

I purchased two 2015 Les Pauls, an LPM and a Traditional. I first bought the LPM because I like technology and I thought the G force tuner was really cool. The price was very attractive. I was always a Fender guy and wanted to try Gibson so I pulled the plugged. I liked it so much I then bought a brand new 2015 Traditional. Couldn't believe that they were still available in 2018 but the price was fantastic. Now the bad news. As much as I wanted the G force to work, and it does work well as far as bringing the guitar into tune, but it won't stay in tune for more than one song. I think the problem has to do with the the tuning pegs and how they grab the string. They changed it in 2016 so maybe they work better but I couldn't stand it. Anyway I found a tuner brand called Hipshot and they make a locking tuner that drops right in to the Les Paul with no holes drilled. Not even the small set screw. They provide a "template" that stops the tuner from rotating without any screws needed. You can use the screws provided and not use the template, but I didn't want to start drilling until I was convinced that the problem was solved. By using this method I haven't voided the warranty since I can put back the G force in about ten minutes. The difference has been remarkable. The guitar now stays in tune like it should and I couldn't be happier. I've ordered another set for the LPM. You can get great deals on the 2015's and other than the robo tuner, they are great guitars. Gibson Customer Service was very helpful, by the way, when I was trying to get the thing to stay in tune. If you like the guitar and the price don't worry about the G force. You can remove it in 10 minutes if you don't like it.

I recently did this, and there are no holes on the back of the headstock for the tuner screws. Any new tuner will require new holes for the screws. Grover’s need one, kluson need two per tuner.

The main hole is for modern tuners, that is why I went with the locking Grover’s. They come stock on the LP standard, so I figured they would be ok.

Have you ever used the deluxe tuners? I have a couple guitars with them and they are awful after using the Grover’s. No where near as smooth and the gear ratio is lower so they are harder to fine tune. I have never used the revolution, but they look nice as well. I have been thinking of getting them for my es-LP to replace the Kluson Deluxe.

Archived