Gibson Brands Forums

Why Are We Haemorrhaging Members?

IanHenry

Ok not as drunk as I was when I posted the other night but going by the replies to just hang in there and give it time,I have been a member here for a good few years now and it's still the same old same old subjects that get replies, tone woods,tuners ,string gauges,you know the same old same old.

Why should i waste my time writing up a post and putting it up here for it to get 15 views and 2 replies and then bumped down the page where no one looks,when other more seasoned posters write the same old same old posts and they run for pages.

As i said maybe the subject I'm posting about isn't interesting enough for the clientele on here to converse about but when you try diverse the conversations and posts and you get no or very little feedback and then look at what does get feedback,why bother,if i do post something it will normally be about something to do with guitars or music,it may not be the most inspiring of subjects but i am not a very good guitar player and I don't have the greatest of knowledge of guitars and giggin,so if I post something it will be relevant enough to guitars or music that it should in my opinion be fairly accessible to be discussed in the forum.

I log into Gibson fairly regularly and enjoy going through the different sections of the forum,but because of the clique like nature of the members i refrain from replying in many of the sections which intrest me because I just feel I don't have enough knowledge or experience in these areas and as stated the clique like nature doesn't sit good with me.

I love my Gibson electric guitars,it's the only electric guitars I own and I play them the best I can,it may not be the best you've ever heard but to me it's the best I can do,wether it's good enough for this forum or not you'll never know because I would never post my playing on here to be scrutinised by people on the internet,going by my experience on this forum.

Cheers Derek r

Have you ever posted a topic on Scotch Whisky? I'd join in that discussion. cool.gif

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ok not as drunk as I was when I posted the other night but going by the replies to just hang in there and give it time,I have been a member here for a good few years now and it's still the same old same old subjects that get replies, tone woods,tuners ,string gauges,you know the same old same old.

Why should i waste my time writing up a post and putting it up here for it to get 15 views and 2 replies and then bumped down the page where no one looks,when other more seasoned posters write the same old same old posts and they run for pages.

As i said maybe the subject I'm posting about isn't interesting enough for the clientele on here to converse about but when you try diverse the conversations and posts and you get no or very little feedback and then look at what does get feedback,why bother,if i do post something it will normally be about something to do with guitars or music,it may not be the most inspiring of subjects but i am not a very good guitar player and I don't have the greatest of knowledge of guitars and giggin,so if I post something it will be relevant enough to guitars or music that it should in my opinion be fairly accessible to be discussed in the forum.

I log into Gibson fairly regularly and enjoy going through the different sections of the forum,but because of the clique like nature of the members i refrain from replying in many of the sections which intrest me because I just feel I don't have enough knowledge or experience in these areas and as stated the clique like nature doesn't sit good with me.

I love my Gibson electric guitars,it's the only electric guitars I own and I play them the best I can,it may not be the best you've ever heard but to me it's the best I can do,wether it's good enough for this forum or not you'll never know because I would never post my playing on here to be scrutinised by people on the internet,going by my experience on this forum.

Cheers Derek r

You're getting response in this thread. Just pop in and join the discussions, let us get to know you more. You don't need to prove anything to us. We welcome anybody that is not a troll or a keyboard politician. FYI, I'm a shitty player too.

Hey Derek..

So, not every thread I post gets more than a few replies, and I've been around for a while. Sometimes I am surprised by the response to threads I don't think will generate much discussion but actually do get quite a few responses. ya just never know.

It's nothing that's even worth worrying about. Like has already been said, the more you're around and participate, the more we will all get to know who you are. Just how this all works. If you got something to share, offer, ask, by all means, post it. Don't take it the wrong way if it takes a few days to get a reaction, sometimes ppl post in the wrong sub forum. Like if you have a question on an acoustic, or an Epiphone electric, posting it in the Lounge will probably not get a lot of feedback.

The right subforum does make a difference, just my 2cents

...because of the clique like nature of the members...

Think of it more this way, Derek;

Your eight-year-membership notwithstanding you are pretty much like the 'new boy' who has arrived at a new school. We, on the other hand, are the kids who have been at this school every week-day for the past five years and, naturally, we have a pretty good idea of who we all are. If you come up to us at break-time and really get stuck-in with our playground games and, in the process, let us get to know you a lot better then you will become a friend. If, however, you skirt around the edge of all the games then you will remain an observer.

The 'clique-ish' nature of things you describe is just us individually knowing who our like-minded friends are but unlike at a school there are no real cliques here. Anyone can join in any of our games at any time and play as big - or as small - a part as they wish. As a general truism the bigger part they play the more they will get out of the game.

As Big Bill said earlier we welcome - and are friendly towards - anyone who isn't a troll or a fool. As you are ulikely to be placed in either of these camps you will have nothing to worry about.

Pip.

I myself get fed up of trying to post a photo. It's the only forum that you can't download straight from your computer I know of. Then we get double posts etc and if you get perceived unfairness I'd want to leave. Saying this, I'm fed up of social media in general anyhow. I hardly go on Facebook now and if you comment on YouTube, you get abuse from trolls.

msp_thumbup.gif, Same here. No matter how hard I try and all seems to go fine until I share the photo here and it doesn't take. just shows a bunch of numbers and such. I basically got off Facebook too. Even had my wife try at posing photos here and she cant get them here and she has a masters in computers. msp_confused.gif

msp_thumbup.gif, Same here. No matter how hard I try and all seems to go fine until I share the photo here and it doesn't take. just shows a bunch of numbers and such. I basically got off Facebook too. Even had my wife try at posing photos here and she cant get them here and she has a masters in computers. msp_confused.gif

Posting photos is a pain here. It always takes me 5 times to get it right. I just post it as a link to look at. It makes it easier.

This isn’t my thread,I’m just adding my thoughts to a thread that caught my attention.

If the forum is haemorrhaging members or not keeping new posters because of how they perceive their experiences on the forum then surely it’s up to the more experienced members to engage more rather than expect the new or less experienced to just jump in and join the games.

As I said I log into the forum and read all sorts of threads in the different sub threads and i enjoy it,i expect threads on guitar tunings,etc.thats why I joined this forum but in the lounge where there is general chat when a new poster starts a thread in my experience it generally gets lost in the same old same old.

I don’t know what the solution is wether it’s down to new posters like myself or others not posting topics of interest but itjust seems,I don’t know cliquish,if established members would take the time to go through a post a new poster or someone like myself who doesn’t post much posts and gives a honest reply instead of snarky comments then maybe that’s a start.

Again that’s just my impressions of how this forum runs.

Again to much to drink.

Cheers Derekr

Haven't heard a peep from the Rev. David Lee after his stuff got smoke damage.

I sent him a PM but no reply.

Has anyone heard from him?

I suspect he has many more important things to do than concern himself with this forum at the moment.

I say leave him be.

He'll be back when it's the right time for him.

Just wanted to say hi... I´ll be posting in the show car thread.... Or maybe I´ll start a new thread of show bikes. Just had my Harley painted candy apple black cherry, awesome color!! Had them pain me a guitar while they were at it. Any guesses on which guitar I painted?

Just wanted to say hi... I´ll be posting in the show car thread.... Or maybe I´ll start a new thread of show bikes. Just had my Harley painted candy apple black cherry, awesome color!! Had them pain me a guitar while they were at it. Any guesses on which guitar I painted?

The 1275?

The 175?

The Johnny A?

Great to hear from you...are you as hot as we are in the UK? [biggrin]

Gold leaf Les Paul. That thing was badass.

rct

No, not the Gold leaf Les Paul.. I´ll never refinish that again, was a pain in the a$$ to do and it looks great as it is even though it has some dings in it now... Not the ES 1275, 175 or Johnny A... You godda be kidding. Hint; not a guitar that would loose value with a new paint job.

Derek, I feel your pain. Think of this forum as being a rider on a bus going to the next town. Dozens of conversations going on. Some talking about how they missed high school. (Missed, not miss.) Some complaining about the bus. Some wishing they had a Ford Taurus, gets come-uppance from a Chevy guy across the aisle. Some get off the bus, some get on. Some get off and on again. There are no points awarded, and often there are no points made. Don't take it personally when people seem to ignore you. You could be the love childe of William Shakespeare and Carlos Montoya and it would make no difference on the Internet.

The 1275?

The 175?

The Johnny A?

Great to hear from you...are you as hot as we are in the UK? [biggrin]

Scorching weather over there too? It's 33 C here in Sweden.

Edit: I may have missed the point entirely. It's too hot to think.

I myself get fed up of trying to post a photo. It's the only forum that you can't download straight from your computer I know of. Then we get double posts etc and if you get perceived unfairness I'd want to leave. Saying this, I'm fed up of social media in general anyhow. I hardly go on Facebook now and if you comment on YouTube, you get abuse from trolls.

I agree to the extent that trying to download an image is a nightmare and being an 'oldie' I find the website far too complex.

Also,I refuse to LinkIn,Facebook,Youtube etc., Internet bank.

Anyway, am a Gibson fanatic and considering buying a 3D printer ( or is it a 5G printer ?) to create a 335 in cherry red with block inlays.Any tips from the forum members would be appreciated.

Chris, Scotland.

I haven't been around here or other forums much since I got more into chat programs like Discord that let you interact more directly with people. I've slowed down on guitar acquisitions too now that I've tried enough to figure out which are my long term keepers. The photo thing is incredibly annoying like just about everyone has said. Admin needs to fix this issue since its a universal complaint.

Archived