Gibson Brands Forums

Discounts on 18my models.

LarryUK

I follow prices closely and noticed the 18 classic models were dropping in price. they were £1799 when they came out and suddenly they dropped to £1499 two weeks ago. I almost bought one, but last night it dropped again to £1299. bargain. You'd struggle to get used for that. so, watch this space.

This is the model I like....

35236659_10216072916918640_4693665467955412992_o.jpg?_nc_cat=0&oh=5aa10980066ed8de0a0531d092e0975e&oe=5BA6E1AB

But this is how I'd want it to look....

35264952_10216072917198647_604326860897124352_n.jpg?_nc_cat=0&oh=f24923bcd290b57b4439d8416aaae623&oe=5BACC87B

So. Question? Where do I get matching plastics? Anyone got a gold one that they've changed the plastics on?

This is the model I like....But this is how I'd want it to look....

So. Question? Where do I get matching plastics? Anyone got a gold one that they've changed the plastics on?

What a coincidence, Larry; I was looking at the exact same guitar (on the Thomann site) just the other day. Can't remember why, though. In my case - if I were lucky enough to be able to acquire one - I'd simply swap-out the neck p'up for a 'Staple' P-90 to go along the lines of the '54-'56 LP C Black Beauty ethic. I'd swap the switch-tip for aged yellow and I'd probably put green-key Klusons on as I dislike Grovers. I don't have - nor ever have had - a P-90 equipped guitar and this one seems to tick the boxes.

As far as making it resemble a 1977 LP Pro DeLuxe is concerned (if that is your intention) I'm pretty sure the cream P-90 covers, P-90-fit p'guard, 'poker-chip' and switch-tip can all be sourced as stock Gibson replacement parts. They are certainly available from other manufacturers. IIRC the '77 Pro DeLuxe (I believe you had one of the originals?) originally had black non-mirror Hat-Box knobs but I could be mistaken.

For £1,299 it is a VERY good deal.

Pip.

EDIT : In Ian C. Bishop's 1978 book which featured the Pro DeLuxe the knobs are, indeed, black non-mirror but of course (Gibson being Gibson) there's no saying all LP P DL instruments were so equipped. In fact it could well be that the instrument pictured in his book was an oddity and the majority had mirrors. Certainly the pair of "New for 1977" LP two-p'up LP Customs also featured in his book had black mirror-tops fitted. Out of curiosity did yours have black mirrors?......eusa_think.gif......

What a coincidence, Larry; I was looking at the exact same guitar (on the Thomann site) just the other day. Can't remember why, though. In my case - if I were lucky enough to be able to acquire one - I'd simply swap-out the neck p'up for a 'Staple' P-90 to go along the lines of the '54-'56 LP C Black Beauty ethic. I'd swap the switch-tip for aged yellow and I'd probably put green-key Klusons on as I dislike Grovers. I don't have - nor ever have had - a P-90 equipped guitar and this one seems to tick the boxes.

As far as making it resemble a 1977 LP Pro DeLuxe is concerned (if that is your intention) I'm pretty sure the cream P-90 covers, P-90-fit p'guard, 'poker-chip' and switch-tip can all be sourced as stock Gibson replacement parts. They are certainly available from other manufacturers. IIRC the '77 Pro DeLuxe (I believe you had one of the originals?) originally had black non-mirror Hat-Box knobs but I could be mistaken.

For £1,299 it is a VERY good deal.

Pip.

EDIT : In Ian C. Bishop's 1978 book which featured the Pro DeLuxe the knobs are, indeed, black non-mirror but of course (Gibson being Gibson) there's no saying all LP P DL instruments were so equipped. In fact it could well be that the instrument pictured in his book was an oddity and the majority had mirrors. Certainly the pair of "New for 1977" LP two-p'up LP Customs also featured in his book had black mirror-tops fitted. Out of curiosity did yours have black mirrors?......eusa_think.gif......

Yes. I did have an original one. I can't see anywhere to buy the plastics from in a matching colour though, and yes, I've ordered one. It'll be here on Monday. Regarding the tuners. I might change the knobs for tulips as I prefer those.

...I can't see anywhere to buy the plastics from in a matching colour...

Really?.............eusa_think.gif................

If you want OEM stuff;

Original 'guard;

https://www.musicsto...AiABEgLwPvD_BwE

Original P-90 cover;

https://www.thomann....09d104342c5a854

Original Poker-Chip;

https://www.musicsto...00?campaign=PSM

Original Switch-Tip;

https://www.gear4mus...AiABEgIIEfD_BwE

Aftermarket parts are available all over the place. Google is your friend...

Looking forward to reading about your impressions when it arrives!

msp_smile.gif

Pip.

EDIT : bear in mind that due to manufacturing / moulding techniques the plastics used on the original instruments were NOT uniform in colour across the different parts used with some being slightly more yellow; some being slightly more red etc. in comparison with the others. I think that this still holds true today therefore some degree of colour variation is to be expected and, typically, current 'Historic Specification' Gibson parts are less pink than their USA-line equivalents.

That's a good deal for those models. They are still listed here in the states for $2,299.99 (at least on AMS). When they first came out on this side of the pond they listed for $1,899.99 and I was able to get my gold top for 20% off of that. I agree with gruffydd3, the white p90 version looks really good. I posted an article about the 2019 models a few weeks ago b/c I knew it wouldn't be long before 17', & 18' pricing would start to come down. I think we have a few more months to go over here before they do but once the talk shifts to the 19' range they'll start dropping............hopefully!

Archived