Gibson Brands Forums

Rare Early Fleetwood Mac Concert Footage

IanHenry

Yes, nice to see it. It has been posted before but not for quite a while so it's about high time it got out for an airing.

I think there must be more clips from that performance out there somewhere because I'm (almost!) positive I've seen at least two other tracks from the same show where PG gets to play much more of the 'lead break' stuff.

eusa_think.gif

Pip.

While I liked early Fleetwood Mac, were they really such a "Great" inspiring "Blues Band?" Taking nothing away

from Peter Green's abilities. Were they really better, or as good as The Yardbirds, Animals, Blodwyn Pig, John

Mayall and the Bluesbrakers (regardless of "lead guitar" player), or other "blues" based bands, from the UK, at

that time??? :-k

CB

...were they really such a "Great" inspiring "Blues Band?"...

Yes.

...Were they really better, or as good as The Yardbirds...

Yes.

...Animals...

Yes.

...Blodwyn Pig...

Yes.

...John Mayall and the Bluesbreakers...

PG took over from Eric in the Bluesbreakers - as you already know - and (IMO) they were still just as good if not even better so shall we call that "quits."?

...or other "blues" based bands, from the UK, at that time??? :-k..

Yes.

Pip.

While I liked early Fleetwood Mac, were they really such a "Great" inspiring "Blues Band?" Taking nothing away

from Peter Green's abilities. Were they really better, or as good as The Yardbirds, Animals, Blodwyn Pig, John

Mayall and the Bluesbrakers (regardless of "lead guitar" player), or other "blues" based bands, from the UK, at

that time??? :-k

CB

Charlie, which was the best band is of course subjective, but to get things into perspective Fleetwood Mac were outselling the Beatles at that time but as I'm sure is the case success isn't necessarily dependent on who'e the best, if you look at the Beatles and compare them with the Kinks, I think the Kinks are very much underrated.

Pippy, it's always possible that I've posted this before, it could be brain fade on my part. I'd put it down to age but my wife say's I've always been like that!

Ian

...Pippy, it's always possible that I've posted this before, it could be brain fade on my part. I'd put it down to age but my wife say's I've always been like that!...

msp_laugh.gif

The last time I saw it was a long time ago. It might well have been Jimi Mac who posted it here as he was such a huge fan of Danny Kirwan.

For those who don't know much PG stuff before the Mac was formed here he is in sublime form (and in a very Beano-Claptonesque frame of mind) having just stepped into the latter's shoes with the Bluesbreakers;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7hm_GtZ-1Io

Pip.

Yes.

Yes.

Yes.

Yes.

PG took over from Eric in the Bluesbreakers - as you already know - and (IMO) they were still just as good if not even better so shall we call that "quits."?

Yes.

Pip.

OK, I'll take your word on that! [biggrin] And, in the case of John Mayall...he's always tended

to sound the same, regardless of guitarist. And, I don't mean that in any negative sense, at all.

I guess I (for whatever reason) don't see the early "Mac" as appreciably different, therefore more

influential, than those bands I mentioned, already. But, again...they're all Good/Great, in their own way.

As to outselling The Beatles...so did Engelbert Humperdinck, at one point! :D And, The Beatles

weren't a "Blues Band," as well. Fleetwood Mac, really came into their own, with Lindsey, Christine,

and Stevie. Of course, they were a totally different kind/style of band, with those additions.

It's all Good! [biggrin]

CB

msp_biggrin.gif

Yes, it is, CB!

As usual you bring up a few interesting points.

...in the case of John Mayall...he's always tended to sound the same, regardless of guitarist...

PG had already stepped in for Clapton in the Bluesbreakers to cover for EC before Slowhand left for good and the position with Mayall became 'solid'. Essentially his job was to emulate Clapton so as to keep the Mayall fanbase happy. It's not surprising (to me) he tried to show he could do a convincing 'Clapton' to counter the invariable response from the 'Clapton is God' crowd. Just as Clapton had done, PG only stayed with Mayall for a year before leaving - taking Mayall's drummer and bassist (Mick Fleetwood and John McVie) in the process - and Green's place was taken by the youthful Mick Taylor who, eerily enough, had also stood in for an AWOL Clapton for the second set of a Mayall gig! Having 3/4 of the Bluesbreakers as a starting point it's hardly a shock that the early PGFM sounded like the 'mother-band'.

After he formed PGFM he chose to go down a few different roads. There was the return to more purist blues (whereas EC was pushing the electric-blues envelope with Cream). He did some latin-flavoured stuff such as 'Black Magic Woman'; some tuneful ballads such as 'Man of the World' and considerably heavier rock-blues such as 'The Green Manalishi'.

I didn't think 'influential' was ever mentioned (although "inspiring" was) but just have a listen to this track by Peter B's Looners featuring a 19-year-old Green and also Mick Fleetwood (!) from back in 1966 - a year before he joined Mayall.

Remind you of a certain Devadip Carlos Santana, perhaps?....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zn7AQFBVkjE

One thing's for sure; he was rarely boring!

Pip.

msp_biggrin.gif

Yes, it is, CB!

As usual you bring up a few interesting points.

PG had already stepped in for Clapton in the Bluesbreakers to cover for EC before Slowhand left for good and the position with Mayall became 'solid'. Essentially his job was to emulate Clapton so as to keep the Mayall fanbase happy. It's not surprising (to me) he tried to show he could do a convincing 'Clapton' to counter the invariable response from the 'Clapton is God' crowd. Just as Clapton had done, PG only stayed with Mayall for a year before leaving - taking Mayall's drummer and bassist (Mick Fleetwood and John McVie) in the process - and Green's place was taken by the youthful Mick Taylor who, eerily enough, had also stood in for an AWOL Clapton for the second set of a Mayall gig! Having 3/4 of the Bluesbreakers as a starting point it's hardly a shock that the early PGFM sounded like the 'mother-band'.

After he formed PGFM he chose to go down a few different roads. There was the return to more purist blues (whereas EC was pushing the electric-blues envelope with Cream). He did some latin-flavoured stuff such as 'Black Magic Woman'; some tuneful ballads such as 'Man of the World' and considerably heavier rock-blues such as 'The Green Manalishi'.

I didn't think 'influential' was ever mentioned (although "inspiring" was) but just have a listen to this track by Peter B's Looners featuring a 19-year-old Green and also Mick Fleetwood (!) from back in 1966 - a year before he joined Mayall.

Remind you of a certain Devadip Carlos Santana, perhaps?....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zn7AQFBVkjE

One thing's for sure; he was rarely boring!

Pip.

[thumbup]

CB, it's quite possible Peter wasn't in the right place (mentally) to attend.

It's also worth mentioning what BB King said about Peter "He has the sweetest tone I ever heard; he was the only one who gave me the cold sweats".

Ian

CB, it's quite possible Peter wasn't in the right place (mentally) to attend.

It's also worth mentioning what BB King said about Peter "He has the sweetest tone I ever heard; he was the only one who gave me the cold sweats".

Ian

Could be, Ian! I'd never argue with BB, either, on that assessment! [biggrin]

CB

Archived