Gibson Brands Forums

Cream

charlie brown

I was lucky to see Cream on their first US tour, and as is well known, they played unbelievably loud. the live recordings are nothing at all, absolutely positively not at all like their live sound. To be honest -- and I loved Cream -- the recorded tones are just plain awful, and the live tone wasn't even tone -- it was like they were playing jackhammers. An SG through a Marshall might well sound incredible, but I know from experience that the Fool SG through a wall of Marshalls sounds like hell. Hendrix, who I also saw, was similar, sound wise. Fantastic, but not in terms of sound quality. And his recorded tones, at least as originally released before everything got remastered, were pretty lame, too. I loved that music, and still do, but if you heard those guys in the flesh, you probably understand what I'm saying. There wasn't a whole lot of tonefulness. Jack Bruce's short scale bass into a Marshall sounded like a brontosaurus farting. Great notes, horrible, horrible tone. Baker's drums probably had the best sound of any of them! I saw Blind Faith when they toured the US, and that was loads better in terms of sound quality. A lot of people who swaer by the sounds of those players are really swearing by the remastered sounds as we hear then through recordings today.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I thought everybody had this poster in their room:...

An early Tele Custom with maple 'board? Thereby hangs a tale......eusa_think.gif......

I've never seen that snap before, rct. Thanks for posting.

I did have one with Jimi dressed in his blue floral nightie kimono and pale blue velvet troos playing his white Strat fitted with the all-maple CBS-era Tele neck - which I still think is a VERY cool look.......

Pip.

The solos are stitched together from I believe 5 performances. True story.

rct

Damn that’s some impressive editing and consistent tempo if that’s true. It wouldn’t be easy to do that with a live performance even with digital editing today, much more difficult on tape

Pip that’s a strat neck on the Tele custom

Hey Pip I’m on my phone so if I copy a YouTube link it won’t work but go to YouTube and check out “blind faith Hyde park 1969”

EC gives an epic performance with the Tele. Not every single part of the concert is perfect, it seems like Steve Winwood is maybe tripping out and his voice is pretty pitchy but there are intense moments of brilliance

No, sorry...that's just a rumor! According to this article, there is "no evidence,

of any editing," on that version of "Crossroads!"

http://www.angelfire.com/ca/oldtimers/wof2.html

CB

If there is any editing it's taking bits out of the same track, if you see what I mean.

Personally I think "Crossroads" on "Wheels Of Fire" is a one-off, one of those unrepeatable things which fortunately was captured on tape.

Clapton once said in print that it sounded like that because it was so damn loud he didn't know where he was in the 12-bar sequence at one point, compared to where Baker and Bruce thought they were.....usually on material of that period you can definitely hear the edits, especially on CD issue. I can hear where/why people think it might be, but I don't hear any edit.

Can you imagine playing everything you know and trying to go beyond it and come up with good new stuff, every night?

I'm not surprised at all he retreated from that afterwards.

...Pip that's a strat neck on the Tele custom.........go to YouTube and check out "blind faith Hyde park 1969". EC gives an epic performance with the Tele. Not every single part of the concert is perfect, it seems like Steve Winwood is maybe tripping out and his voice is pretty pitchy but there are intense moments of brilliance.

Thanks very much for the info and the suggestion, Dub.

So far I've only had enough time to watch 'Can't Find My Way Home' (there's another 50+ mins available) but so far it's been worth the admission price for that track alone.

There's something weird about that Tele / Strat hybrid. Strat neck has a rounded butt: Tele neck has a squared-off butt. Jimi had Tele neck butt rounded to fit on the Strat. Has EC had the Strat neck butt squared-off to fit in the Tele neck pocket and in the process had the truss-rod adjustment screw altered to suit lengthwise?

3:07 mark has a decent close-up;

https//www.youtube.com/watch?v=FJIuzl1jx7w

I love this sort of totally unimportant trivia!

Thanks again!

Pip.

Can you imagine playing everything you know and trying to go beyond it and come up with good new stuff, every night?

I'm not surprised at all he retreated from that afterwards...

msp_thumbup.gif

Pip.

Thanks very much for the info and the suggestion, Dub.

So far I've only had enough time to watch 'Can't Find My Way Home' (there's another 50+ mins available) but so far it's been worth the admission price for that track alone.

There's something weird about that Tele / Strat hybrid. Strat neck has a rounded butt: Tele neck has a squared-off butt. Jimi had Tele neck butt rounded to fit on the Strat. Has EC had the Strat neck butt squared-off to fit in the Tele neck pocket and in the process had the truss-rod adjustment screw altered to suit lengthwise?

3:07 mark has a decent close-up;

https//www.youtube.com/watch?v=FJIuzl1jx7w

I love this sort of totally unimportant trivia!

Thanks again!

Pip.

You can put a Strat neck on a Tele without modification. The rounded off end fits into the square neck pocket but doesn’t touch in the corners (scale length is the same). The Tele neck needs to be rounded off to fit a Strat neck pocket as you said

I have heard stories that EC bought several Strats and mixed and matched parts to make the “ultimate” Strat. The neck on the Tele is supposedly from one of those Strats

No, sorry...that's just a rumor! According to this article, there is "no evidence,

of any editing," on that version of "Crossroads!"

http://www.angelfire.com/ca/oldtimers/wof2.html

CB

Ok, well...

I believe Tom Dowd and I believe Eric. If you've ever punched in on solos you can definitely tell how this record could have been done. And if you've ever sat there while someone cut and pasted Ampex you can understand how there can be "no evidence".

That doesn't mean though that it could be as recorded, I'm fine with that. But Tom Dowd and Eric have both said it was patched together, and I believe them.

rct

Well, I don't know, anything's "possible!" [biggrin] But, given Eric's (often) state of "reality" at the time,

who knows what he remembers. The only thing I've heard EC say, about that actual performance, was that

he felt like the band was "lost," during the solos, and miraculously managed to get it back together,

for the verses, etc. I can tell you, as an eyewitness, that I've never heard him play a Crossroads

solo, even remotely close to that particular performance, since! And, I've seen him several times,

over the years. He always plays outstanding solos, but they're just never even remotely like the

one on "Wheels of Fire!" So, maybe they did piece it together, form several different performances?

But, WHY would they feel the need, to do that? EC always plays from his heart, and never a script,

save the basic's! His solos vary, on ALL his songs "live" performances. From slightly, to totally

different. So...??? [tongue]:-k

CB

Well, I don't know, anything's "possible!" [biggrin] But, given Eric's (often) state of "reality" at the time,

who knows what he remembers. The only thing I've heard EC say, about that actual performance, was that

he felt like the band was "lost," during the solos, and miraculously managed to get it back together,

for the verses, etc. I can tell you, as an eyewitness, that I've never heard him play a Crossroads

solo, even remotely close to that particular performance, since! And, I've seen him several times,

over the years. He always plays outstanding solos, but they're just never even remotely like the

one on "Wheels of Fire!" So, maybe they did piece it together, form several different performances?

But, WHY would they feel the need, to do that? EC always plays from his heart, and never a script,

save the basic's! His solos vary, on ALL his songs "live" performances. From slightly, to totally

different. So...??? [tongue]:-k

CB

Unfortunately, most of us are mostly mediocre on most nights, and that's a shame when it is the night they are making yer live record. I can definitely understand putting it together in order to present the best of their performances. And I agree, the entire band drifted off during the solos, mostly barely missing a catastrophic train wreck and managed to get it back. Imagine having to maintain that rhythmic phrasing and hit those accents with that going on under and behind you. I wouldn't be surprised if he had to patch it together at all, because playing what he plays over that mess would be really hard to do and he himself said he could barely focus on what they were doing by that time!

rct

...I have heard stories that EC bought several Strats and mixed and matched parts to make the "ultimate" Strat. The neck on the Tele is supposedly from one of those Strats...

Thanks for that again. I'm guessing that's the time where he ended up with 'Blackie'? I didn't know about the Tele Custom being part of the story.

I believe he also gave one of the resulting guitars each to Jeff Beck and Pete Townshend. Can't remember where I read the story but I'm pretty sure it will be in rct's book.

Pip.

I believe he ended up with the Black one and the Tobacco Sunburst one after the handful(3, 4?) he bought in Oklahoma City where he worked with those three guys that became the Greatest Band That Almost Never Was. So by the solo record he had put them together, and I may be mistaken or not remember correctly, but I thought one went to George Harrison and one went to Dave Mason, but that could be very wrong.

I do know this, Pippy:

When the other three were planning their post Delaney Bramlett career, oddly enough George Harrison was wanted for frontman first. After he was not available they wanted Dave Mason. After he was not available Delaney Bramlett suggested "the guitar player", and BAM! we got The Dominos.

That's from an old old interview with Whitlock, and I believe it was in the biography of The Dominos that I read and stupidly gave away.

rct

I believe he ended up with the Black one and the Tobacco Sunburst one after the handful(3, 4?) he bought in Oklahoma City where he worked with those three guys that became the Greatest Band That Almost Never Was. So by the solo record he had put them together, and I may be mistaken or not remember correctly, but I thought one went to George Harrison and one went to Dave Mason, but that could be very wrong.

I do know this, Pippy:

When the other three were planning their post Delaney Bramlett career, oddly enough George Harrison was wanted for frontman first. After he was not available they wanted Dave Mason. After he was not available Delaney Bramlett suggested "the guitar player", and BAM! we got The Dominos.

That's from an old old interview with Whitlock, and I believe it was in the biography of The Dominos that I read and stupidly gave away.

rct

I would almost rather listen to Eric when he is with a band than his true solo stuff. Cream, Mayall and Derek are where IMO he shines. I think when he is in a band setting the pressure is off of him to be the (God) of the guitar and just play. A lot of his solo stuff is of course great, but for me he never made that great solo album that I must go back and listen to repeatedly. There is just always a few songs he picks to record that just I don't care for. Derek is my go to Clapton.

I would almost rather listen to Eric when he is with a band than his true solo stuff. Cream, Mayall and Derek are where IMO he shines. I think when he is in a band setting the pressure is off of him to be the (God) of the guitar and just play. A lot of his solo stuff is of course great, but for me he never made that great solo album that I must go back and listen to repeatedly. There is just always a few songs he picks to record that just I don't care for. Derek is my go to Clapton.

One In Every Crowd. Seriously. Opens with some almost reggae stuff and some spirituals sure, lots of people didn't like that. Pretty Blue Eyes was a somewhat radio hit, and that one followed by the last two, High and Opposites are some of my favorite 14 minutes of Eric ever.

rct

One In Every Crowd. Seriously. Opens with some almost reggae stuff and some spirituals sure, lots of people didn't like that. Pretty Blue Eyes was a somewhat radio hit, and that one followed by the last two, High and Opposites are some of my favorite 14 minutes of Eric ever.

rct

I think my favorite Clapton solo songs are The Core and Promises. Love when he sang with Marcy.

Just to get some closure on a side-topic mentioned once or twice here;

...I have heard stories that EC bought several Strats and mixed and matched parts to make the "ultimate" Strat. The neck on the Tele is supposedly from one of those Strats...

Here's some more meat to add to the story courtesy of Wiki;

"At the 1969 Blind Faith concert in Hyde Park, London,Clapton played a Fender Custom Telecaster which was fitted with"Brownie's" neck....

...In November 1970 Eric bought six Fender Stratocasters from the Sho-bud guitar shop in Nashville, Tennessee while on tour with the Dominos. He gave one each to George Harrison, Steve Winwood, and Pete Townshend. Clapton assembled the best components of the remaining three to create "Blackie", which was his favourite stage guitar until its retirement in 1985..."

So (obviously) he must already have owned Brownie before the Sho-Bud visit...which fact begs the question "Why Did He Remove the Neck and Put It On A Tele Custom Body for the Hyde Park Gig?"......eusa_think.gif......

OK, as you were, Gentlemen!

Pip.

just played "wheels of fire" thru again and still UN fokin real, "any one for tennis" was added as a bonus on Goodby Cream and what a cool protest song...

I like a LOT of his "solo" stuff, as well as his Mayall, Cream, Blind Faith, Derek, years!

The only thing that (kinda) "bothers" me, slightly, is when he sings old standard

(black) blues, and tries to phrase and/or pronounce the words, as a black singer

would, or did! I appreciate wanting to do it "right," but...he has enough credibility, in

the "Blues World," he can easily do those songs "his" way, without having to mimic

the original singers. IMHO, as always. [tongue][biggrin]

CB

Just to get some closure on a side-topic mentioned once or twice here;

Here's some more meat to add to the story courtesy of Wiki;

"At the 1969 Blind Faith concert in Hyde Park, London,Clapton played a Fender Custom Telecaster which was fitted with"Brownie's" neck....

...In November 1970 Eric bought six Fender Stratocasters from the Sho-bud guitar shop in Nashville, Tennessee while on tour with the Dominos. He gave one each to George Harrison, Steve Winwood, and Pete Townshend. Clapton assembled the best components of the remaining three to create "Blackie", which was his favourite stage guitar until its retirement in 1985..."

So (obviously) he must already have owned Brownie before the Sho-Bud visit...which fact begs the question "Why Did He Remove the Neck and Put It On A Tele Custom Body for the Hyde Park Gig?"......eusa_think.gif......

OK, as you were, Gentlemen!

Pip.

Only reason I can think of, is that he loved that specific neck, and since he could, he did! :D

CB

Archived