Gibson Brands Forums

You Know What I Really Hate?

Digger

Ah.

Now I understand why you don't play any more.

I wasn't aware of that though you must have mentioned it before?

BTW Dig you're not going to be in Southampton UK on Friday August 17th are you?

Music in the City - the whole place is full of bands playing free all day, we're on in the evening..... [smile]

There’s a couple of reasons why I don’t play, one is certainly my hands as it’s agony to put any pressure of my left thumb. I have to work around things with that I can tell you! Even turmeric doesn’t help anymore.

The second is that for some reason my body isn’t uptaking Vitamin B12 from my food and as a result I had pernicious anaemia for a couple of years before they diagnosed the problem. That means for that period I was starved of oxygen over a protracted period. My doctor believes that is due to the heavy exposure to chemicals in Vietnam, but who knows, it happened and I have to deal with it These days I give myself a B12 shot every 3 weeks and so there are no further problems. However going all that time with low oxygen causes problems and I gave up lessons when I found that 15 minutes after I’d learned something, it was totally gone by the time I got home. Not much point in continuing.

So that’s why I can’t play guitar even though I’d love to. So now you see what a big fraud I am hanging around guitar forums like I do, hard to break long term habits I guess.

We’re coming home on the 13th August but I appreciate the thought thanks, it would have been great!

So now you see what a big fraud I am hanging around guitar forums like I do, hard to break long term habits I guess.

I didn't see anything in the "official rules" that said you had to be a player in order to be here. I for one, certainly don't consider you to be a "fraud", and let's hope that breaking your "habit" takes several more years mate.

I didn't see anything in the "official rules" that said you had to be a player in order to be here. I for one, certainly don't consider you to be a "fraud", and let's hope that breaking your "habit" takes several more years mate.

Ah Dennis, you are so kind!

I guess I know so many people that it feels like home. You included mate.

There’s a couple of reasons why I don’t play, one is certainly my hands as it’s agony to put any pressure of my left thumb. I have to work around things with that I can tell you! Even turmeric doesn’t help anymore.

The second is that for some reason my body isn’t uptaking Vitamin B12 from my food and as a result I had pernicious anaemia for a couple of years before they diagnosed the problem. That means for that period I was starved of oxygen over a protracted period. My doctor believes that is due to the heavy exposure to chemicals in Vietnam, but who knows, it happened and I have to deal with it These days I give myself a B12 shot every 3 weeks and so there are no further problems. However going all that time with low oxygen causes problems and I gave up lessons when I found that 15 minutes after I’d learned something, it was totally gone by the time I got home. Not much point in continuing.

So that’s why I can’t play guitar even though I’d love to. So now you see what a big fraud I am hanging around guitar forums like I do, hard to break long term habits I guess.

We’re coming home on the 13th August but I appreciate the thought thanks, it would have been great!

Don't worry about it mate, of course your welcome.

Ian

Dig - Fraud? Once a guitar player, always a guitar player, even if you can't play anymore. Once it's in you, it's stuck in your brain.

Besides, you are a good buddy and we'd all miss you if you left.

Notes

Kind words indeed Bob and I guess I do feel like a piece of old comfortable furniture having been around forever (like you)

Digger, my thumb arthritis probably isnt as severe as yours, but I've adapted nearly all my playing to do without the left thumb now. I tried to video it once but couldn't quite get the view angle right. Maybe I'll have another go.

I also agree that you should stay here.

I'm 7 above you Rob, so scroll down to 53. What irritates me more is when my son sends me a text and while I'm reading it, it flies away because he sent 2 or 3 more just like that. I can neither type or speak that fast in the microphone on the I-phone 6. Cant compete with kids.

It can be tough alright but I see gold in every beautiful sunrise and the song of an early bird in the morning. I see gold in my wife's smile.

There’s gold there, you just have to recognise it.

It can be tough alright but I see gold in every beautiful sunrise and the song of an early bird in the morning. I see gold in my wife's smile.

There’s gold there, you just have to recognise it.

Of late, I've been trying to learn "The Dutchman" which is basically a song about an elderly couple in Holland. Here's a version by Steve Goodman (Songwriter of "City of New Orleans") although there are other versions out there. I post this for a few reasons:

1) To Diggers point that there is gold, you just have to know where to look

2) Some pretty impressive guitar work on Steve's part

3) I just like it.

Of late, I've been trying to learn "The Dutchman" which is basically a song about an elderly couple in Holland. Here's a version by Steve Goodman (Songwriter of "City of New Orleans") although there are other versions out there. I post this for a few reasons:

3) I just like it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XeBD3rcAMFw

I enjoyed that, thanks for sharing.

I second that! I always enjoy reading your posts on here.

• 4 weeks later...

3) I just like it.

Okay, digging up an old thread, but I couldn't resist finding out who the mandolin player was. For all us old guys, you may remember him as one half of "Homer and Jethro". Wikipedia page here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kenneth_C._%22Jethro%22_Burns

So a guy comes back home after seeing his doctor. His wife says, "you look worried, what's wrong?" Guy says, "doc put me on a new medication." Wife says, "that's it?" Guy says, "no, he said I'll have to take it for the rest of my life." Wife says, "well that's not too bad." Guy says, "it doesn't have any refills!!!"

msp_scared.gif

So a guy comes back home after seeing his doctor. His wife says, "you look worried, what's wrong?" Guy says, "doc put me on a new medication." Wife says, "that's it?" Guy says, "no, he said I'll have to take it for the rest of my life." Wife says, "well that's not too bad." Guy says, "it doesn't have any refills!!!"

msp_scared.gif

I'm on life time meds. Started out as just one, then 2 and now 3. All 3 were supposed to be temporary and have been permeant so far for decades. I think doctors get a kickback for keeping you on meds?

I'm on life time meds. Started out as just one, then 2 and now 3. All 3 were supposed to be temporary and have been permeant so far for decades. I think doctors get a kickback for keeping you on meds?

In the US: basically, YES. It's so much more financed by actual patients than over here in Sweden.

We do provide health care for free, though. Well, through taxation.

In the US: basically, YES. It's so much more financed by actual patients than over here in Sweden.

We do provide health care for free, though. Well, through taxation.

Yes, I wish ours was like that. I don't think any country has health care like ours.

Yes, I wish ours was like that. I don't think any country has health care like ours.

Some years ago, there was a show on CNN about health care world wide. I'm paraphrasing here, but the host asked the researcher if they'd looked at health care in the US. The response was along the lines of "Yes, we learned how NOT to do health care when looking at the US."

Some years ago, there was a show on CNN about health care world wide. I'm paraphrasing here, but the host asked the researcher if they'd looked at health care in the US. The response was along the lines of "Yes, we learned how NOT to do health care when looking at the US."

Ha Ha and still laughing. Now that is way too funny yet true. msp_flapper.gifmsp_thumbup.gif

Oh, have to go back and give you a plus for that one Dennis.

I have to tell you this Dennis. Lately and I don't know why? Maybe I get bored a few times? The 71 Dodge Colt that I raced in the 70's? I thought I posted a photo of it way back on the Epiphone lounge years ago. Well, I decided to get a 1/25th scale model of a Dodge Colt and it doesn't matter if its all stock or not. I just want to modify it with other kits and build it into the car I raced. A 12 point cage, huge 14 1/2" wide slicks and I'd paint it like ours was. Well I cant find one single Colt model anywhere. They don't exist and I thought that was strange. They have Opel GT's, Pintos, Corsairs, AMT's about every single car and almost every race car back in the 70's but they forgot I guess that Dodge Colt drag cars were very common back in the 70's. So I had to scrap my mission there. Just thought that was weird.

Archived