Gibson Brands Forums

Bird on the way?

MorrisrownSal

Thanks Gumby and Em7...

Boy the hardest thing is to try to compare a guitar against a ghost in your mind. That Vintage was the best guitar I ever owned and I sold it foolishly, as you know. And now I really understand when someone says they sold a guitar, and that it haunts them even years later.

So yes, the comparison versus a memory is tough. I do know the playability is the same. And this 2012 True Vintage is outstanding. It is better (to me...) than the two standards I had, as well as the recent 18 year old Bird I obeyed catch and release with. Man that one was heavy... I bet a good 10oz heavier or more.

This Bird has EJ19s on her. That’s medium bottom and light top. I will be putting on the Nickel Bronzes this weekend if I still have a set. I also listened to the half dozen recordings I made of the Vintage, and again to the one I made tonight of the TV. They are close.

Initial thoughts on the TV.

It’s light.It’s airy.It has the honey that my last experiment did not have.I’ve played it with nine different kinds of picks... the sound can change from crisp to warmer based on the pick choice.It smells like heaven.It’s great to sing with.It’s beautifullllllllll.The action can come down a tad. I’ll wait to see how it is with regular lights first, though.No pickup or strap button in the neck. I’ll leave it this way.

I’ll reserve additional thoughts for after a string change.

Thanks for being patient with my silliness. I know a good many of you think I’m nuts. You are right; I can live with it too- no desire to change my stripes.

Cheers. I like it. Maybe more... I just don’t want to rush it.

I think it sounds wonderful. You two appear to be bonding.

I agree with you on the pick front. I have never had a guitar respond this way to pick switches the way the 'bird does. All of them change, but the 'bird seems to offer more positive options when doing so.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ok... I just did a quick and dirty Smorgasbord - recorded with the iPad camera and the Apogee MiC... It's kind-of stream of consciousness.

Wow it sounds good - and at the end of the video, as your reaching for the camera to turn it off, you can see happiness in your face. I don't know if it's the end all be all for you, but I'm liking it, that guitar has something!

The action can come down a tad.

Take it to your favorite and most dependable set up luthier...have the saddle and nut adjusted to your taste. Run, don't walk.

As we've discussed, our preferred set ups are definitely different. I have a heavy hand, both hands actually,

and like to have my strings a tad higher than many.

Ok... I just did a quick and dirty Smorgasbord - recorded with the iPad camera and the Apogee MiC... It's kind-of stream of consciousness.

I haven't followed the whole thread, BUT if this is the Hummingibird that you own now then you found a real, real good one - dont get rid of it !

Rich, velvety, charming and very, very Birdy.

Thanks FYP! By the way... was wondering, since you've been a member for more than 10 yrs, shouldn't you be fifty years pickin :)?

I always thought it meant 40 ears picking =

Ergo that FYP was a member of an ensemble where 20 enthusiastic guitarists gathered every Wednesday and picked like mad.

And that the Board-pseudonym was the name of this club.

Archived