Gibson Brands Forums

2019 Gibson Moderne???

Megafrog

Looking forward to the NGD thread - but it might be a while in coming!

I love this bit of the description;

"The Gibson 2019 Exclusive Moderne Electric Guitar captures the look, feel and sound of the original..."

msp_laugh.gif

How on Earth do they know what "the original" felt and sounded like? None exist! AFAIK there aren't even any photographs of 'the original'; certainly none have ever surfaced to my knowledge. The peghead shape of this series is different to most of the previous releases and, curiously, is the shape which was used on the patent application for the Explorer.

Interestingly (or not!) according to Ted McCarty the original name for the guitar was the "Mod-Dern"...

Pip.

It looks like they've reissued those before...

Surprisingly (perhaps) there have actually been a few versions put out as a 'limited-release' over the years. One of the forumites here has three - each of which is from, I believe, different editions. The 1983 example in the "Norman's" clip has the more usually seen 'paddle' shaped headstock. Having seen the newer 'forked' headstock I much prefer the look of the upcoming version.

There's something strangely appealing about this one. The description states a rosewood 'board. In the picture it looks more like granadillo or even baked maple but I guess zzounds know what they are talking about.

Trivia-Time! A 1982 prototype (in ebony finish) for the '83 release was part of the John Entwhistle collection as was serial number #A007 from the subsequent Natural Korina run.

Pip.

I saw this model pop up on AMS a few days ago too. Looks like both AMS and Zzounds (AMS owns Zzounds I believe) expect them in around the first of October. If it wasnt so expensive I might be curious enough to buy one but that headstock throws me. Looks like a Dean guitar. I think I might like the "Gumby" style headstock better ...... maybe!

When I started the 2019 thread a week or so ago I knew it wouldn't be long before we started seeing hints of the line up start to filter there way into the online stores.

Seriously. Well that might be about all they sell. That thing look re-donk-ulous.

Yeah it may look weird but I collect weird Gibsons such as the Marauder (I have 2), L6-S, Corvus and U2. It will fit nicely in my collection of oddball Gibsons.

You just killed the thread by mentioning that bands name.

Gibson actually had a guitar called the U2, not to be confused with the band. It was a super strat designed by Wayne Charvel. Basically it has the Gibson name but it is a set neck Charvel. The WRC is essentially the same guitar but with less binding and a bolt on neck.

Archived