Gibson Brands Forums

QUestion about DF & Guitar Rig

DiscoPimp

hello all,

i'm still waiting for my DF and am a bit in doubt wether this is the right guitar for me. I've been trying to understand how exactly the Dark Fire integrates with Guitar Rig without much success.

I already have the full version of Guitar Rig, and in the latest update there are a couple of Dark Fire presets already. I'm just wondering if the DF has any special abilities/integration with GR or does GR essentially do to a DF what it can do with any other guitar ?

Is it somehow part of the cameleon sound concept so that there are some special implementations/features with the DF and GR combined which you wouldn't get with GR and a 'normal' guitar ?

With the RIP interface, and a Host application ( the included Ableton Live lite)

You can run 6 instances of Guitar Rig - One per string - and have a very unique 6 channel sound processing.

I do this on a Macbook Pro.

That unique ability with the Dark Fire package represents 30% of the cost.

mmmhhhh .. although i'm really not impressed with Craig's samples, i'm starting to think there might be some interesting potential in this ... different phasers and multi-tap delays on each chord ... might definitely be worth a try, could imagine some nice Andy Summers or Durutti Column like atmospheres.

How about going to 6 of these iRock...

on 6x iPhone / iPod Touch :-)

Seriously now' date=' I am going to get one today, for traditional MAG 1 channel processing, this looks great for travelling,[/quote']

Hey Ulhuru,

please let me know how you get on with the i-rock I am seriously interesed.

thanks.

How about going to 6 of these iRock...

on 6x iPhone / iPod Touch :-)

Seriously now' date=' I am going to get one today, for traditional MAG 1 channel processing, this looks great for travelling,[/quote']

Very innovative. Please post photos of the cable you need for this thing. Great find. Thanks for sharing.

Ohmigod! This is not the world I used to know! The next thing is, we'll have street musicians playing Dark Fires with a minimum of 6 iPhones or Ipods dangling around their necks (each with an amplifier perhaps, and MacBooks carefully sequestered)! However brilliant and impressive they may be, I think they may have a hard time convincing passers-by they need tips! But, this is the genius of Dark Fire (and its users)... many possibilities are offered and available! I'll be watching this thread for sure! Who would'a thunk it!!! (Shaking head in amazement)

So, I have purchased the 15 USD version, and it was not a good idea.

iRock is a toy, lots of latency, bad sound. Unless I did something terribly wrong with the wiring...

So don't go rushing out to buy an iPod Touch just for this now.

Luckily there is a free version for testing, I should have downloaded this one :-P, try this version if you want to check for yourself,

So, let's put it this way: MBP / Live / GR3 solution rocks, and it will for a while.

I feel sorry I have raised this thing up,

iRock is a toy' date=' lots of latency, bad sound.

[/quote']

http://www.bananasmusic.com/productdetail.asp/pid_148/productname_Marshall-MS2-Mini-Amp

also a toy and bad sound .. but no latency .. and you can build yourself a mini 'marshal wall' a la status quo with them ... http://www.marshallamps.com/downloads/files/stackwallpaper.jpg

since we're off-topic already, does anyone know who invented the 'marshall wall' i remember the first time i saw it was on a festival in the seventies with Status Quo .. the concert (like the music) was utter crap, but i still remember we were all completely psyched by this massive wall of Marshal cabinets

now let's get back to 'Hexaphonic processing' please. ;-)

In the USA - Blue Cheer (San Francisco) was the first to use a wall of Marshalls ( 1967)

http://www.bluecheer.us/archive/bluecheerhistory.htm

cheer01.jpg

Cream in the UK 1967 - Their management delayed touring USA until they had a couple hits, but press kits showed their live rigs.

CreamLive.jpg

The Doors play earlier that year with a wall of Acoustic (brand) amps.

Picture8.png

Grateful Dead in 1970's had a huge array of cabs behind them too.

yeah ... glad we went OT on that one :-

that Greatful Dead stage is sooooooo beautifull !!! i'd seen the Doors and Cream stages but i'd agree that the GD one is the first one to deserve the title 'wall of sound' :)

another proof that i've definitely been born 10-15 years too late :D ... on the other hand i'm pretty sure in that case i wouldn't have made it into the new millenium ...

elantric, if the financial crysis hits u too hard u can always convert to what i once saw a guy do in London's Camden market ... he was standing there with a sign around his neck sayin "ask me anything for a quid (1£)" ... we were quite surprised that the man really had a decent, in depth answer to almost anthing ... you're sort of in the same category. we sat down in a pub next to him and were amazed to see that he was making around 15-20£ an hour, while in the same time the busker next to him only made enough for a coffee ... knowledge is power :) .. in your case you could even combine the two ...

thx a lot for the infos, will try to find a decent resolution of this pic to make a poster of it and hang into my studio ...

elantric, if the financial crysis hits u too hard u can always convert to what i once saw a guy do in London's Camden market ... he was standing there with a sign around his neck sayin "ask me anything for a quid (1£)" ... we were quite surprised that the man really had a decent, in depth answer to almost anthing ... you're sort of in the same category. we sat down in a pub next to him and were amazed to see that he was making around 15-20£ an hour, while in the same time the busker next to him only made enough for a coffee ... knowledge is power :- .. in your case you could even combine the two ...

Thanks Discopimp -

I may just have to do that - lets hope for all our sakes it does not come down to that. :D

Archived