Gibson Brands Forums

Global Warming & Wildlife.

Digger

This article is currently in the news here on the ABC website. It’s a thoughtful piece, or at least it causes me to think about whats happening worldwide with wildlife.

It’s a bit of a read so only tackle it if those things interest you.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/science/2018-06-23/crocodiles-in-noosa-climate-change/9634422

With things warming up it seems out Crocs are taking the opportunity to expand their range! They are moving south into areas where they were previously not occupying in numbers.

Hervey Bay in Queensland is the jumping off point to world renown Fraser Island and it seems that Crocs are now occupying the Mary River in numbers whereas before there were vague rumours of them being this far south. Now this is a real game changer as residents and tourists alike will need to modify their behaviour, or place themselves at risk. It’s significant to me because I have 2 daughters and their families living at Hervey Bay.

More sinister is that the stinging jellies are also moving south, some suggest as far as northern NSW. So times are a changing!

Now my interest is what impact will this warming have on the movement of Bull Sharks, will they head further south too? I’ve had a lifelong interest in sharks.

I did some research about that elsewhere and it seems that there has been movement of Bulls from Florida that ran as far north as North Carolina. (500 miles)

https://weather.com/science/environment/news/2018-04-19-bull-sharks-breeding-grounds-north-climate-change

I’ve read a number if reports and they are all saying much the the same thing.

The range of the Bull Sharks here has been as south as Sydney on the east coast and Perth on the west coast and of course in all warmer waters north of those points.

Now my interest is that Bull’s are one of the 3 shark species here that attack humans and can cause death.. Also their ability to live in fresh water estuarine systems places them in locations where people don’t expect them to be. I live on one of the biggest estuarine lakes systems in Australia and to suddenly find them in our rivers could be significant for tourism!

People say that there are no sharks in these systems here but that is rubbish, I know it is because I’ve seen them! Not Bulls thought, they are a completely different kettle of fish...so to speak~

So if they are spreading out in the US then they will be spreading out in Australia too!

Interesting times folks!

If one truly wants to understand the effects of "global warming" or whatever, just look at what's taking place in nature. Animals know.

I asked the squirrel in our yard about it. All he said was 'More nuts." I'm not sure if he wanted them because he knew it was going to be a tough winter, or he was commenting on my mental health.

I asked the squirrel in our yard about it. All he said was 'More nuts." I'm not sure if he wanted them because he knew it was going to be a tough winter, or he was commenting on my mental health.

+1 for that.

You really made me laugh out loud😂

bull sharks have been found pretty far north in the mississippi. way far inland. the entire premise from the movie jaws is based on a shark attack that happened 6 miles inland, in new jersey, back in 1916. i highly doubt we were experiencing the sort of climate change talked about by today's chicken little all the way back in 1916. new jersey is not a southern state. bullsharks go where ever they want to. even in your bath tub [flapper]

There's a big bush in my garden, just came into flower last week. I don't know the name of it.

Up to 5 years ago you couldn't see it for bees at this time of year; bees, hornets and other pollen collectors literally covered it everyday.

Today - I've just taken a look - I can see only one single bee on it.

What we are STILL doing to other species is criminal. There were millions of bees not so long ago, and they have been decimated by our stupidity.

We won't stop even when they are all gone.

Madness.

Archived