Gibson Brands Forums

Played a Bunch of High Dollar Guitars Today

zombywoof

I was out bopping around this afternoon so stopped by the little guitar store which has become my new repair place. Went upstairs and just sat there goofing around with a bunch of guitars. I was not really paying attention enough to know the model numbers but I played a Bourgeois, a Huss & Dalton, a Santa Cruz, a Martin D-42, and a Gibson Custom Shop J-45. I did have my favorite but I walked out empty handed although with shoulders a bit more slumped and a tad slower than when I walked in. But still, an outstanding day all the way around.

I was out bopping around this afternoon so stopped by the little guitar store which has become my new repair place. Went upstairs and just sat there goofing around with a bunch of guitars. I was not really paying attention enough to know the model numbers but I played a Bourgeois, a Huss & Dalton, a Santa Cruz, a Martin D-42, and a Gibson Custom Shop J-45. I did have my favorite but I walked out empty handed although with shoulders a bit more slumped and a tad slower than when I walked in. But still, an outstanding day all the way around.

So, which one is kinda sticking in your mind, that you are telling yourself that you don’t really need?

QM aka Jazzman Jeff

So, which one is kinda sticking in your mind, that you are telling yourself that you dont really need?

QM aka Jazzman Jeff

I'm betting one of the flash ones, say, the D-42. The guy who favors the forgotten, beat-up second-string guitars, seduced by the bright lights of the big city and the high-priced guitars, with their sparkly tone and painted faces.

But remember, he's still got the banner J-45/50 to go home to, so all is not lost.

Come back, ZW. We are your friends. We'll lead you back to solid ground, and away from the pleasures of the flesh.

I’m guessing the fave could be the Huss? They seem to be getting good write ups of late. Torrefied top J style?

The shop has to be impressive to interest me these days - I can look around the inventory at one shop and rather go home. I mean, Sat morning on my Waterloo WL14X, later a tinkle on my 1943 Martin 0-17, then some slide on my 37 L-0. Started Sunday in DADGAD on my Lowden O22 and then some Beatles from the Complete Scores fingerpicked on my Martin OM18 Authentic! It was mentally too hard to follow that up so I went for a drive down my secret fave twisty coast road and after a few curves stuck behind a slow moving hard breaking scaredy cat, they turned off and we were released to enjoy the drive along and around the clifftops and great views.....only shame is it is winter here and a bit cloudy and gloomy but...who cares? Tough, isn’t it? [biggrin] Now I’m hungry!

BluesKing777.

I’m guessing the fave could be the Huss? They seem to be getting good write ups of late. Torrefied top J style?

The shop has to be impressive to interest me these days -

BluesKing777.

Ding, ding, ding - we have a winner. It was a burst Huss & Dalton J style. All of the guitars though were really wonderful. But all were priced in the $4K and up range. The CS Gibson came out looking like a bargain after seeing the price tags.

And I agree most music shops these days manage to get little more than an "Eh" out of me.

I'm betting one of the flash ones, say, the D-42. The guy who favors the forgotten, beat-up second-string guitars, seduced by the bright lights of the big city and the high-priced guitars, with their sparkly tone and painted faces.

But remember, he's still got the banner J-45/50 to go home to, so all is not lost.

Come back, ZW. We are your friends. We'll lead you back to solid ground, and away from the pleasures of the flesh.

Bwahaha. The winner in the bling category was actually the J-45. Inlaid headstock and bridge and a big old abalone rosette. Coincidentally, when I got home I found the box with that mid-1950s P-13 fired flattop Harmony my friend had finally gotten around to sending was waiting for me. As I sat there playing it into the night it again hit me that I was enjoying myself as much as if I had carted home one of those $4K guitars.

Harmony_H-40.jpg

Went through an interval of fascination with the young, well adorned, high priced ladies during the late 1980's. But that's a different subject. Seriously, though, and speaking strictly of guitars, I was playing every high end instrument I could find for about 6 months and planning to buy a couple of the from the boutique offerings. Then sat down with some of my favorite Gibsons - the '65 Hummingbird, the '55 J-45 - and some of my favorite non-Gibsons - the really old Stella parlor, Gene Autry, Harmony 'poor man's D-18' and such, and concluded that relationships with the older, more experienced and well-loved ladies was a better arrangement. A few have been added since, but the satisfaction level has always derived from that moment of satori.

Archived