Gibson Brands Forums

What is the best sounding best playing Acoustic you have played?

allanj

I can't really answer which is best. I've played a good many fine guitars. A couple that spring to mind are an old J-50 I played at Music Villa last summer. There was also a 30's Martin 12-fret triple O which was pretty amazing. I also like Dave from SLC's OJ. And then there was the Legend L-00 they had at Music Villa. Plus of course that blond, maple cj-165... Hmnnn.

Good Day to You All / from spanishoaknc

The best playing guitar for me is my '63' Hummingbird Custom / I got used in '73' and it has aged well / the older it gets the more joy it brings.

Hold on to your Gibsons / they will be priceless when all the fine woods are gone.

God Bless - spanishoaknc

100_0684.jpg

Question?Can anybody tell me how to make my pictures smaller or thumbnail?

A Collings at Rudy's in NYC. Can't remember the model but it was a standard issue. A wonderful, boomy sound with an endearing, soft warmth when fingerpicked. Details were flawless.

I love my J-45, but it gets moody and likes to buzz or go dead at times. It's my favorite songwriting guitar.

I have a special love of the Sheryl Crowe model. As I recall it's a reissue of the Country & Western. It has the grand piano chime of a Hummingbird with more understated looks. My friend owns one and he basically rarely plays it and almost never changes the strings. The thing needs a set up like this man needs a (another) vacation. Someday I hope to pry it from his hands.

I've been curious about picking up a Martin D-18 lately. I heard one at a songwriter night in Brooklyn and it struck me as a soulful and precise (if plain-looking) instrument. Maybe now's the time to snap one up cheap on Craiglist.

It's a toss-up between two...

One is a Martin DX12 at Guitar Center... not a huge fan of twelve-string, but this one was great. If only I needed a twelve-string.

The other is a Gibson J-45 of some sort just a few feet away. I don't know which model it is, but it has the old-style script logo, with no banner. I can't find anything exactly like it on the online stores or Gibson's model list.

Hands down- a vintage AJ that was completely trashed. Had a replaced neck and headstock, giant chunks of wood missing from the top, overspray etc etc.

You merely had to touch-no, just LOOK at the strings and the entire guitar would quiver and shake as if it was going to fall apart in your hands. Never seen anything like it. It was in a music store out here on consignment- asking $10,000. 5 years ago. It ended up being sold on Ebay for 10,500.

Otherwise, I have some nice guitars, and I've played some very nice guitars. But that AJ was special.

[.

You merely had to touch-no, just LOOK at the strings and the entire guitar would quiver and shake as if it was going to fall apart in your hands.

. .

My F-25 is like that, I swear. It's as if it's begging me to pick it up by letting me know how good it will feel and sound.

It'd be a toss up between Shrimer's SJ200 koa or this J45 rosewood that was in Guitarworks a few months back. If you could hear the deepest darkest richest chocolate' date=' that's what it would sound like. I actually wore the battery down on my old calculator trying to figure out how to get that one off the shelf and into my house.[/quote']

That's about how I'd describe my J45RW. It's an '03 with ebony bridge and board, and just floors me. I have a Martin dealer 1/2 hour away and just couldn't bond with any guitar he had back then. I spent hours REALLY trying to.

This thing was ordered from MF, and the minute the case was opened, and that Nitro/Rosewood bomb hit me, I've never been the same. The action is a tad high, but I like it a tad high, and can dig in just fine.

Best to ya.

Murph.

My best playing acoustic is a Martin 000-40 S MK "Ragpicker's Dream". This 12 fret slothead was a 2006 collaborative effort by Mark Knopfler and **** Boak, one of Martin's Signature series special run of 155 instruments.

My only genuine vintage guitar is the J45 my father-in-law gave me, when he finally couldn't play it any more: a 1945 Bannerhead. The only things I've changed on that guitar are the pegs and the strings. Damn, that is a nice guitar.

Well NONE of them sound their BEST right out of the box. They need to messing around before they get to sounding their best (set up, saddle, string -- type, brand, weight) ... every time you change ONE thing you need to adjust a half dozen other things .. THAT having been said .. I like the J-100 because I got a lot more out of it (but not at first). The Gibson is and excellent guitar, excellent hardware and excellent design. (Like -- it is easy to "soup up" a Corvette -- but you couild do the same thing with any 348 Chevy -- 57-58-59 .. just the Corvette come already miles ahead). I also like my Tacoma DM10 (lighter sound .. very clean and goes well in any group). I had work done on that (Blue Guitar in San Diego). They keep needing work .. things wear out, adjustments, weather and humidity. It's a "moving target." I do not have a Martin but I respect them (they sound great). Don't hear much negative about Martin. I do not have a Taylor but I respect them too. They are made here in San Diego but have become a "cult" and I am not a cultist. I like Yamaha .. but I buy cheaper used ones and so they go where other guitars fear to tread. They are not the best sounding (but their high end acoustics are definitely deserving of respect too). You can buy hand made guitars for $5K or $10k or even $40K. I cannot imagine how they would not been worked over to 110% out of the box -- Greven is one that comes to mind. OK -- sound -- sound varies a lot -- each room has a different temperature, different humidity, different air density, different curtains, ceiling tiles, carpets/hard wood/tile, different air flow, different doors and windows. So the actual sound from the same guitar will vary. All-in-all thought the J-100 suits me to a T. I like it.

Archived