Gibson Brands Forums

New Amp Day

sparquelito

It's actually been a week since I brought her home.

On Father's Day, I went out and bought a used 1997 or 1998 Marshall Valvestate VS265 2x12 amp (with original pedal and everything), for $300 American.

I bought it off of Craigslist from a local fellow and his girlfriend.

Damn thing really cranks, and such amazing tones I'm getting out of it.

I have heard, over the past few years, that the ValveState rigs weren't all that good, but this thing is a beast.

I really, really like it.

:)

174948.png

Nice purchase. I'm probably one of the few who love Valvestates. I never really understood why a lot of the guitar playing community didn't like them, but I guess it was to do with the 'has to be full tube or it's not a good amp' traditionalists. I have an old Valvestate 8280 which sounds excellent to me.

Btw, What I also never got is that a lot of the guitarists who criticize Valvestates and hybrid or solid state amps play with no earplugs at volumes so loud they must have constant tinnitus and no high definition left in their ears anyway, so how can you trust their judgement? [flapper] Having said that, I've never tried the later AVT range.

They work just fine. Be aware of one thing, and you can check yours.. there is no external "mains" fuse in these amps. At least the one a band mate used from that same era did not have one. we did an outdoor gig, the guy who hooked up our power, didn't do it right, upon turning things on we blew fuses in all our amps, except this valvestate the other guitar player used, where instead fried the power supply feed module inside the amp. As far as I know, he's never gotten it fixed, (no surprise knowing the guy) this was maybe 10 years ago.

Nice purchase. I'm probably one of the few who love Valvestates. I never really understood why a lot of the guitar playing community didn't like them, but I guess it was to do with the 'has to be full tube or it's not a good amp' traditionalists. I have an old Valvestate 8280 which sounds excellent to me.

Btw, What I also never got is that a lot of the guitarists who criticize Valvestates and hybrid or solid state amps play with no earplugs at volumes so loud they must have constant tinnitus and no high definition left in their ears anyway, so how can you trust their judgement? [flapper] Having said that, I've never tried the later AVT range.

The irony to me is that this would have worked just as well as purely a solid state amp, but the tube was added specifically to market to people who think you need tubes.

Nice, I still have my Bichorus 8200 head. That thing is loud! I got it used maybe 17 years ago for a couple hundred and it was my main amp for a year or so until I was able to get my Dual Rec.

Never got around to selling it and I haven't used it for probably 15 years, I think i'll fire it up again for fun and see if it still works!

Nice! Many congrats on a fine purchase!

I've never played through one but I'll bet it sounds superb. Have you any neighbours nearby?.......msp_laugh.gif........

I don't really get the 'Tubes or Nothing!' thing either. Since 1980 I've been playing through the same old Music Man 2x12 sixty-five hybrid combo and (IMO) it sounds fantastic.

Other Music Man players back when they were current include the likes of Eric Clapton, Mark Knopfler and Jeff Beck but, hey, what does any of those guys know about Tone?...

Pip.

i had one, back in the 90's. it may not have been my favorite amp of all ive owned, but i liked it, and had no complaints. it took way more abuse than it had any right to. i hauled that thing through 5 or 6 states over the years of owning it. it was my rehearsal amp, and it never let me down. i felt like it was one of the few times i got my money's worth.

Archived