Gibson Brands Forums

Hand surgery today

jaxson50

going in for minor surgery on the index finger of my right hand today, a bit nervous, but it has been bothering me for over a year,It’s been very painful, I have tried steroid shots, therapy, etc. but now it’s hot packs everyday for two hours just to let the finger have minimal movement.My family doctor said not to have surgery as my hand will never be the same, that was a year ago.It ain’t the same now! I’m over 65, nothings the same anymore!Wish me luck.

....that was a year ago.It ain't the same now! I'm over 65, nothings the same anymore!

Best of luck, Jax. Index finger? For me it's the thumbs - a little torque in the wrong direction is super painful. There's a procedure for that, but I guess I'm not there yet. Nevertheless, hope yours turns out perfectly!

Good luck with your surgery. A few years ago I had surgery to repair my right thumb and wrist after the cortisone shots no longer relieved the severe pain I was experiencing. Fortunately I have been pain-free ever since. I hope you have the same good luck with yours.

Good luck to you Hopefully in time, things will improve..

ps: I'm about to go for a second EMG test for carpal tunnel. It's starting to get a bit worse at times it seems. May be time to do something about it.

Well the surgery went well, still hurts but that's to be expected. Looks like 4 months till total recovery. Thanks for all the supportive posts. I appreciate it guys?

Dang...I guess I am too late to recommend getting the extra fiinger add on..........cost extra but the guitar playing skillz go up!!!..glad it went well.msp_thumbup.gif

Dang...I guess I am too late to recommend getting the extra fiinger add on..........cost extra but the guitar playing skillz go up!!!..glad it went well.msp_thumbup.gif

Hmmmm. I'll have to keep the finger add-on option in mind should I need hand surgery again. That extra finger would certainly come in handy playing my 7 string guitar. [biggrin]

Glad it went well. Give it time - It will heal at it's own pace. Don't 'baby' it once the stitches come out. You don't want to lose mobility or 'range of motion'. Follow the MD's instructions, but on the high side of 'challenging' your finger.

I'm going in tomorrow for minor surgery on the back of my left hand - remove squamous cell cancer, hopefully not too far down. Right on top of the index finger bone.

Like they say, once you get old "If it's not one thing, it's your mother."

I just read your post so I'm jumping in a little late. I very happy for you that your surgery went well and I hope you'll be good as new soon. I have a similar problem with my right thumb. If I move it the wrong way, I get this very sharp pain in it. I'm in the 65+ age group too and it doesn't get easier for us.

• 2 weeks later...

Update. On Friday the stitches were removed and the doctor had me do some flexibility test, he says the stiffness will go away, it will just take time.The best news is the locking and numbness is gone. I just have to build up the strength again.Thanks for the support and replies.

Archived