Gibson Brands Forums

Gig bag for larger Gibson acoustics?

TomLeoni

Hello, all,

I'm having a hard time finding gig bags larger than 16" (lower bout). I have a RoadRunner that does (in a pinch) fit my 17" L-5, but my 18" Super-400, forget it. No luck even finding custom makers.

I love the practicality of gig-bags, also because I carry several instruments to my weekly gigs. Yes I know, hard cases, more protective, yada yada. True, but habits are habits. Any ideas/ suggestions? Willing to go custom too--but even finding that seems to be hard: makers like MONO or even Glen Cronkite offer only up to 16."

Thanks in advance.

Hello, all,

I'm having a hard time finding gig bags larger than 16" (lower bout). I have a RoadRunner that does (in a pinch) fit my 17" L-5, but my 18" Super-400, forget it. No luck even finding custom makers.

I love the practicality of gig-bags, also because I carry several instruments to my weekly gigs. Yes I know, hard cases, more protective, yada yada. True, but habits are habits. Any ideas/ suggestions? Willing to go custom too--but even finding that seems to be hard: makers like MONO or even Glen Cronkite offer only up to 16."

Thanks in advance.

I had a Gator hard side, gigbag for my J200. Gator carries a jumbo size that fits the J200 perfectly.

This is the one I had:

GL-JUMBO_OPEN_GEAR-768x576.jpg

Gator GL Jumbo

Hi, Jeff--it's a 1937. I just got it, so I'm "christening" it this weekend. I expect it to be like my L-5, only even better at cutting through other instruments in a large session. One of the things I do most frequently is accompany fiddlers (I'm in VA, one of the capital-states for Old Time), and the bass-heavy, "reversed" BOOM-chuck of that style seems to have been designed to be played with such guitars.

Have you checked out Blue Heron? They'll do custom cases...in fact I just looked...they list a Super 400 case for $299.

Scriv, Dotneck - thanks for the heads-up.

I think the Blue Heron is exactly what I was looking for.

Cheers!

Tom

Hi, Drathbun,

Can you tell me if there's any "give" in your Gator case, namely if I could fit the extra 2" width of my Super 400 lower bout?

You might be able to get the padding to give a bit. The rigid part of the gigbag/case is like an ethafoam material. I would expect you might be able to compress it 1/2" on each side to accommodate 18" rather than 17".

Call or write to Gator and ask them. They are very accommodating.

Edited by drathbun

• 11 months later...

Maybe it's just me, but I wouldn't be using a gig bag to transport my L-5 or 1937 Super 400 to a gig. I'd want them in their hard cases until I took them out to put them on their stands.

I looked real hard at a beautiful one-owner 1937 Super 400 a few years ago, being sold by the son or grandson of the original owner at the Orando guitar show. It was a lot of money, but was fairly priced. 

There's not a lot of those around.

Sorry, but gig bags are the guitar repairer's best friend. A quality instrument needs to be protected, especially when being transported.

That said, Gator lightweight cases (I've owned several) are a great compromise if you're looking for something that is light AND provides protection. They have handy shoulder straps so you can throw them over your shoulder. (Two days ago I was running through the airport in Dubai to catch a flight with my J-35 in a Gator case flung over my shoulder.)

Good luck in your search.

I'm not soliciting opinions about the perceived value of gig bags as such and have no interest in confessions why anyone might fear their use for instruments in their own possession or not.  Instead, I'm inquiring whether the OP (and, by extension, anyone else) has had any actual experience with the Blue Heron gig bag (or an alternative) for the Super 400, an instrument for which such transport options appear to be scarce. (Gator, for example, does not seem to offer such a case: too bad, because their GL Series Jumbo Acoustic properly fits my L-5, as does Levy's LM-20; unfortunately, Levy's is no longer making the LM-51J ;  Probag has remained non-communicative even after their website went back up after being down for months, and Cronkhite also failed to respond to a Super 400 bag query ...) 

Edited by 1Geech

13 hours ago, 1Geech said:

I'm not soliciting opinions about the perceived value of gig bags as such and have no interest in confessions why anyone might fear their use for instruments in their own possession or not.  Instead, I'm inquiring whether the OP (and, by extension, anyone else) has had any actual experience with the Blue Heron gig bag (or an alternative) for the Super 400, an instrument for which such transport options appear to be scarce. (Gator, for example, does not seem to offer such a case: too bad, because their GL Series Jumbo Acoustic properly fits my L-5, as does Levy's LM-20; unfortunately, Levy's is no longer making the LM-51J ;  Probag has remained non-communicative even after their website went back up after being down for months, and Cronkhite also failed to respond to a Super 400 bag query ...) 

No judgement here, we're all going to have different approaches to transporting our instruments and what I choose for the purpose is no reflection on your FRANKLY INSANE CHOICE TO PUT A SUPER 400 IN A DAMN BAG! (I'm joking by the way 🤪)

I have used POD style semi-hard cases for my resonators for years as the weight of a reso combined with a HSC is just too much for my problem shoulder to cope with. The only one I haven't trusted to a soft case is my 1930s (pre-Regal) fiddle-edge Dobro M32. There are so few left in the world that I couldn't bear the idea of it getting broken, so it stays in its Hiscox Liteflite Artist case, which is light enough for me to tote. The M32 is the lightest reso I've ever owned too, which helps. 

I've spent the last half an hour googling 18" soft cases and I think you're going to have to go down the custom build route. Not cheap I would imagine, but worth it.

“I think you're going to have to go down the custom build route. Not cheap I would imagine, but worth it.“ That’s why I’m looking for relevant informed experience to determine new options. The two custom shops to which I have reached out have been unresponsive.

When you started this thread I thought I might want a gig bag for my Super 400. I contacted Pro Bag and heard back today. That was only a few business days. Here’s my quote. 

Leather Super 400 Guitar gig bag with square pocket $395.-
Extra upper pocket $19.-
Third Shoulder Strap $35.-
Shipping $33.-

Good Luck on your search. 
Edited by Dave F

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...