Gibson Brands Forums

Vintage vs. New?

jimmiJAMM

What's the consensus around here on which performs better? Seriously, I love my new SG Standard but the feel of my vintage SG is just incredible! They're like two different animals, yet the same. There's just something magical and silky smooth about a seasoned vintage axe but a new one is stiff, sturdy and ready to scream (sounds like my ex-girlfriend).

Been considering keeping one and selling the other but just I can't decide!!

I think that the reissues are better guitars overall.

Compared to their Gibson USA counterparts, yes I agree. I'm not gonna compare a reissue to a vintage guitar because you can't.

Even if a specific reissue is better than a specific vintage guitar, people will probably say the vintage guitar is better because of the perceived mojo. Personally, I'd take the better playing/sounding guitar, whatever it is.

neogeoriffic, that's a tough one and only you can answer that. How do they stack up against one another?

I mean, based on your opinion...which guitar actually sounds better and which guitar actually plays better?

A few things to also consider:

Finding another good vintage SG would be much harder than finding a good newer one.

Your Standard is new; so, a 2008? You might get hosed selling it.

Well, my new standard plays exceptionally well, probably better than any guitar I've ever played, The vintage is feather light, has very low action and the neck is straight and fast as hell. The '78's made of walnut and the '07, mahogany so maybe it's my imagination but I think there's a slight difference in sustain. The '78 sounds a bit ballzier with those Super Humbucking tar-backs. Plus it'll only increase in value as it's in near mint condition. The truth is I love them both and will probably end up keeping them both but in these times of economic downturn, it just seems a bit overindulgent having two SG's. What the heck, sometimes two SG's are better than one. There are probably guys around here with a lot more in their stable. Anyway, now I'm just rambling.

I realize that I'm the only one who can decide. I actually just thought this might be an interesting topic for discussion, old vs. new and wasn't looking for a definitive answer either way.

My '79 Walnut will sustain forever. I've often wondered why Walnut isn't used more. You can literally feel the guitar vibrate playing it unplugged. It's actually weird, it has so much sustain.

Maybe something's wrong with it?

Yuk, yuk........

Murph.

If you can get a vintage one that's not trashed or modded to hell and back, OR you're privileged and dumb enough to pay what their going for on the vintage market (I'm talking mainly about the $7000 and up crap, but face it, it's ALL gotten outta' hand), then a good old 60's model or CHOICE 70's-90's model is the way to go. Or if you can live with reissues not "quite" being right cosmetically (but for the most part are decent playing and sounding guitars), then you're better off getting one of those. I recommend used/like-new because you'll get a much more down-to-earth price.

It also depends on what you expect out of it. If you're happy with yours, keep it and worry no more. If fate happens to put you face-to-face with the "perfect" replacement, you'll know it. Till then, play it like you hate it...or like you love it in a Tony Soprano kinda' way. =D>

H-Bomb

Well, it's hard to say. The vintage have a smoother feel,and generally play better , but do NOT stay in tune very well, and are more fragile. The new ones are made MUCH better,and are sturdier,but don't look as good (except for VOS) Sound is subjective & a matter of opinion, but I prefer the vintage, but it's pretty close. With Fender, it's vintage all the way. My '73 Strat sounds MUCH more professional than a new one, and my '89 Custom Shop Tele kills everything I've seen come from Fender. Foreign made Fenders are garbage,and not even worth mentioning!

Dickey, how do the old ones not stay in tune very well?

Foreign made Fenders are garbage?! 70s Strats are seriously about the most unfenderish sounding Fenders. Not to mention the 70s being probably the sloppiest time for Fender as far as quality control went. Most of the 70s Strats I've played were poly covered boat anchors and that all had those terrible body cuts. Give me a nice light alder reissue with the correct body contours and thin nitro finish any day. Now, I'm sure your '73 is a good one. But I'd rather take my chances as far as percentages go with getting a good one on a batch of reissues than '70s Strats.

I get to see a lot of vintage guitars and I've had my hands on plenty of old Fenders and Gibsons. As far as Fenders go a good 50s pre CBS 60s are unbelievable but just because something is vintage doesn't mean it's going to play great. As for Gibsons I'd rather have an Epiphone with the larger nut width than a post 65 skinny nut width neck.

Another thing about vintage guitars. There's so much hacking going on by shops you never know what your getting. I know of a few places in Chicago that will take a vintage guitar, strip it of it's hardware, then sell that on ebay and then age new parts and put them on the guitar.

For me the simple argument is that the vintage will be very difficult to replace should you regret selling it (which you almost certainly will). New ones are a dime a dozen (not literally of course but you know what I mean). If forced to sell, sell the new one.

For me the simple argument is that the vintage will be very difficult to replace should you regret selling it (which you almost certainly will). New ones are a dime a dozen (not literally of course but you know what I mean). If forced to sell' date=' sell the new one.[/quote']

IMHO, that's the best practical argument. Vintage pieces are now so valuable they're almost impossible to use unless you've got a security team on the payroll. I'm gratified that the manufacturers have seen fit to replicate many of the old designs, if not exact to the last detail, at least in summary & spirit. It's aggravating that some of the reissue prices are now approaching the point where they can't be gigged safely, but that's another whole thread.

Dickey' date=' how do the old ones not stay in tune very well?

Foreign made Fenders are garbage?! 70s Strats are seriously about the most unfenderish sounding Fenders. Not to mention the 70s being probably the sloppiest time for Fender as far as quality control went. Most of the 70s Strats I've played were poly covered boat anchors and that all had those terrible body cuts. Give me a nice light alder reissue with the correct body contours and thin nitro finish any day. Now, I'm sure your '73 is a good one. But I'd rather take my chances as far as percentages go with getting a good one on a batch of reissues than '70s Strats.

I get to see a lot of vintage guitars and I've had my hands on plenty of old Fenders and Gibsons. As far as Fenders go a good 50s pre CBS 60s are unbelievable but just because something is vintage doesn't mean it's going to play great. As for Gibsons I'd rather have an Epiphone with the larger nut width than a post 65 skinny nut width neck.

Another thing about vintage guitars. There's so much hacking going on by shops you never know what your getting. I know of a few places in Chicago that will take a vintage guitar, strip it of it's hardware, then sell that on ebay and then age new parts and put them on the guitar. [/quote']

IMHO' date=' that's the best practical argument. Vintage pieces are now so valuable they're almost impossible to use unless you've got a security team on the payroll. I'm gratified that the manufacturers have seen fit to replicate many of the old designs, if not exact to the last detail, at least in summary & spirit. It's aggravating that some of the reissue prices are now approaching the point where they can't be gigged safely, but that's another whole thread. [/quote']

That would, indeed, make an interesting thread.

Best to ya.

Murph.

Archived